Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

hyd. clutch to cable?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • hyd. clutch to cable?

    is it possible to convert the clutch actuation from hyd. to cable operated system? never had a hydraulic clutch and i dont like the feel of it.
    1990 katana 1100

  • #2
    It would help to know what bike you have
    http://www.7thgeardesigns.com
    http://www.lunchtimecigar.com
    '90 Suzuki 750 Kat

    "Shut up and drink your gin" - Fagin (Oliver Twist)
    "But, as is the usual scenario with a Harley it was off-line when it crashed," Schwantz added dryly.
    "You didn't hear what I meant to say" - my Son

    Comment


    • #3
      If memory serves he has a '90 1100.

      Comment


      • #4
        I don't think it's possible unless he can find a side cover for a cable that worked on his engine.
        "I'm sorry, I didn't mean to upset you when I called you stupid. I thought you already knew..."
        spammer police
        USAF veteran
        If your a veteran, join the KR veterans group

        Comment


        • #5
          I thought I posted in the kat 1100 only section , its a 91
          1990 katana 1100

          Comment


          • #6
            I wish it was possible, I'ld do it in a New York minute, I'm so tired of my dragging clutch. I've rebuilt the master cylinder and slave cylinder, replaced the line with a ss line with new banjo bolts, purged the fluid out and replaced that, bled and bled and bled the blasted thing, and yet the clutch still drags! Rats, I think this is a design flaw.
            2005 Harley Davidson Softtail Deuce
            2003 Kawasaki ZRX1200R
            1995 Kawasaki GPz1100
            1988 Suzuki GSX1100 Katana
            1983 Suzuki GS1100E

            Comment


            • #7
              Any chance the cover from a B12 fits the 1100? I know the 600s are interchange with each other. If the B12 cover fits, swapping over to B12 clutch system might work. Pushrods might be different length, but other than that...
              I'm assuming here that the B12 doesn't also have draggy clutch issues...

              Also, I'm pretty sure the 1100 and 600/750 covers are interchangeable. I seem to remember that coming up a couple times in old threads. Changing to a 600/750 cable system shouldn't be complicated if the cases do in fact fit
              Last edited by shpielers; 06-05-2015, 04:16 PM.
              1998 Katana 750
              1992 Katana 1100
              2006 Ninja 250

              2006 Katana 600 RIP - 130k miles

              Comment


              • #8
                i read on the bandit forums, it has been done, so i might start collecting parts from a 2nd generation bandit 600
                1990 katana 1100

                Comment


                • #9
                  There is a guy here on Katriders that put a Bandit cover on his Kat. He didn't do a write up, so all I know is he needed a electro magnetic speedometer for his GSXR wheel swap. He mentioned a custom machined signal mechanism piece on the front sprocket.

                  For those who think the clutch is not engaging / pushing in far enough, just put a spacer behind the slave between the pin, or find a longer pin. Actually, now that I think about it, the clutch lever pin / pump rod between the lever and the hydraulic pump could be worn.
                  Take your lever off, you'll notice a couple parts that engage the master cylinder.
                  Last edited by katanarider; 06-05-2015, 08:30 PM.
                  My Katana-1100 17" wheel swap
                  http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=136894

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    If someone does it and it works properly, please sticky it...
                    "I'm sorry, I didn't mean to upset you when I called you stupid. I thought you already knew..."
                    spammer police
                    USAF veteran
                    If your a veteran, join the KR veterans group

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Originally posted by katanarider View Post
                      There is a guy here on Katriders that put a Bandit cover on his Kat. He didn't do a write up, so all I know is he needed a electro magnetic speedometer for his GSXR wheel swap. He mentioned a custom machined signal mechanism piece on the front sprocket.

                      For those who think the clutch is not engaging / pushing in far enough, just put a spacer behind the slave between the pin, or find a longer pin. Actually, now that I think about it, the clutch lever pin / pump rod between the lever and the hydraulic pump could be worn.
                      Take your lever off, you'll notice a couple parts that engage the master cylinder.
                      Once mine is fully up and running I've been planning on making a longer pin to try that out if I still have lots of drag. Didn't think about wear at the lever though. Going to have to remember that. Mine has been down on both sides, so the lever getting mashed about might influence that
                      1998 Katana 750
                      1992 Katana 1100
                      2006 Ninja 250

                      2006 Katana 600 RIP - 130k miles

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Can't sleep and I'm bored, so I thought I would point to the fiche.
                        Parts #3 & #4 ... If I remember correct, they're brass.
                        http://www.suzukipartshouse.com/oemp...aster-cylinder
                        When I re-installed my factory pieces, I did'nt think to inspect them closely for wear.
                        I do remember it was sort of a pain to get the lever bolt to line up. You just have to wiggle the lever until the bolt eventually drops into place.

                        If you can barely squeeze the lever and it dis-engages the clutch, its not the slave end !
                        Well, that is if its not a engine part.
                        Last edited by katanarider; 06-06-2015, 04:31 AM.
                        My Katana-1100 17" wheel swap
                        http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=136894

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          I have the b12 cover on mine, but it's still hydraulic clutch and it still drags. It isn't bad once it's warmed up so I haven't worried about it.

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Originally posted by thebird_19 View Post
                            I have the b12 cover on mine, but it's still hydraulic clutch and it still drags. It isn't bad once it's warmed up so I haven't worried about it.
                            Dude, I have pictures of your bike downloaded on my computer. I swear I read every single 17" conversion on this web site dating years old and yours caught my eye. I thought you had long disappeared from Katriders. Big Fan, for real ! Its just some thing about the blue, white wheels and Corbin.
                            My Katana-1100 17" wheel swap
                            http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=136894

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Originally posted by katanarider View Post
                              Dude, I have pictures of your bike downloaded on my computer. I swear I read every single 17" conversion on this web site dating years old and yours caught my eye. I thought you had long disappeared from Katriders. Big Fan, for real ! Its just some thing about the blue, white wheels and Corbin.

                              Thanks. I put a lot of work into it. I'm still around, just don't get to ride much and haven't had the Kat on the road in probably a year. I just put a new starter on it though, so hopefully that will change.

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X