X

Idle Adjuster Slipping

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Idle Adjuster Slipping

My idle adjuster just slips when I turn the knob and it won't turn the actual idle adjustment screw on the carb. I've tried wrapping tape (electrical and plumbers) around the rod ends that go into that rubber tube, but when i turn the knob, the rubber tube doesn't turn, the rod just slips around inside that tube. Has anybody else had this problem and how did you correct it?
    2005 Harley Davidson Softtail Deuce
    2003 Kawasaki ZRX1200R
    1995 Kawasaki GPz1100
    1988 Suzuki GSX1100 Katana
    1983 Suzuki GS1100E

If that's happening, something is wrong with it. Several things could have happened.
    You might have fiddled with it too much, and run the adjustment screw all the way out and it's no longer connected to the carbs
    The cable itself might have rusted to the sheath
    You might have run the cable all the way in, and there's no farther for it to go.

Bottom line, you'll probably need to pull the carbs.
    -Steve

sigpic
    Welcome to KatRiders.com! Click here to register
    Don't forget to check the Wiki! http://katriders.com/wiki

Comment

No, there is no cable. It is kinda a cheap device. There is the adjustment knob, which has a round shaft, then attached to the end of this round shaft is a piece of hard rubber tubing that is about 4 inches long that runs to the actual idle adjustment screw on the carb linkage, there this tube slides over the end of the adjustment screw shaft, which is also round. The adjustment screw is not run out at all. The problem I have is when i turn the adjustment knob, this connecting rubber tubes just spins on the end of the adjustment screw shaft and doesn't turn the adjustment screw. In other words, the tube slips on the adjustment shaft. I've tried wrapping tape around the shaft to get the rubber tube to fit tighter, but it still just spins (slips). This connecting tub is shown on the parts fiche diagram, but it doesn't have a part number, so i can't order a new one, if it were even available. What I'm looking for is a 1100 owner who has had this same problem and found a way to fix it. I guess I could try to epoxy the tube onto the shaft, but I doubt that would hold.
      2003 Kawasaki ZRX1200R
      1995 Kawasaki GPz1100
      1983 Suzuki GS1100E

Comment

Mine did the same thing a couple months ago, I epoxied it. It's held so far. No idea how long it will continue to do so, but so far so good.
        1998 Katana 750
        1992 Katana 1100
        2006 Ninja 250

2006 Katana 600 RIP - 130k miles

Comment

I pulled the "hose" off. I found an adjuster from some early CV carbs and replaced it with that. Can't adjust it with the fairings on, but once it's tuned correctly, why would you want to?
          1990 GSX1100F- abandoned in 2005, rescued by me in 2011, I'm gonna ride it if it's the last thing I do.

1981 GS750EX- Father in law gave to me, full resto in progress with late model suspension.

1979 GS850G Free shafty

1978 GS550E- The wife bought it for me for father's day (So she could learn to ride on it too)

1977 RM80- My son's resto.... he's 3...

2012 Qigo quad- pink Camo for my little princess.

Comment

I think I'll try the epoxy and see what happens, can't hurt any.
            2003 Kawasaki ZRX1200R
            1995 Kawasaki GPz1100
            1983 Suzuki GS1100E

Comment

The rubber hose on mine was permanently curved. I replaced it with some fuel or vacuum hose. It slipped. I think I used zip ties to cinch the hose to the knob and carbs. Also it helps to open the throttle when you turn the knob, this way it is just moving the screw and not rubbing against the stop.
              '81 GS850G, '90 GSX1100F, '96 BMW K1100RS

Comment

Couple of fuel hose or jubilee clips are your friend
                If it aint broke polish it

1979 GS7/11 - 1990 GSX1100F

My Rebuild
                http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=133928

Comment

My hose is permanently curved also, I thought that was the way it was supposed to be, but obviously not. I guess I need to replace it then. I'll look around for a suitable piece of hard rubber tubing that will fit. Thanks for all the help everybody.
                  2003 Kawasaki ZRX1200R
                  1995 Kawasaki GPz1100
                  1983 Suzuki GS1100E

Comment

I don't have my 1100 any more but the rubber tube does get hard and won't turn anymore. My idle was fine, so I didn't need to change it, but did notice that it wouldn't turn. New rubber tube and hose clamps would probably do it.

Cheers!

Jollidude

Comment

Yep, I found a good piece of rubber tubing that fit very tightly over the shaft so it didn't slip when turned. problem solved. Thanks to everybody who offered solutions.
                      2003 Kawasaki ZRX1200R
                      1995 Kawasaki GPz1100
                      1983 Suzuki GS1100E

Comment

Working...
                      X