X

battery overcharging- regulator tips? 90 1100f

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• battery overcharging- regulator tips? 90 1100f

BAttery charging at 16 volts at 5k rpm. Looks like I may need a regulator- rectifier. Anyone replaced one before have any advice on which one works best? Looks to be plenty of replacements out there. Anyone know about which years and models work? And maybe related or unrelated my clock is dim and not working sometimes. THoughts? Suggestions? Thanks in advance
    RIding sober really ain't as bad as I thought it would be.

I would make sure the regulator is getting the correct voltage back from the battery. Orange wire should read actual battery voltage, not lower.
    Last edited by 92xjunker; 04-19-2015, 11:12 AM.
    "I'm sorry, I didn't mean to upset you when I called you stupid. I thought you already knew..."
    spammer police
    USAF veteran
    If your a veteran, join the KR veterans group

Comment

I believe there are 2 batteries in the clock. The batteries do last a long time
      at least a couple of yrs I found a link for a new regulator on ebay
      standard charging is 13.5 or above so ya your 16 is too high.

Might be cheaper to get a whole alternator..
      Last edited by loneraider; 04-19-2015, 11:13 AM.

Comment

I agree with loneraider, it may be cheaper, and certainly alot easier, to just replace the entire alternator since the reg/rec is located inside the alternator housing and it requires disassembling the alternator internals to replace.
        2005 Harley Davidson Softtail Deuce
        2003 Kawasaki ZRX1200R
        1995 Kawasaki GPz1100
        1988 Suzuki GSX1100 Katana
        1983 Suzuki GS1100E

Comment

The clock does have two batteries, only know cause I changed them last summer.

Comment

Originally posted by Slammer46 View Post
            The clock does have two batteries, only know cause I changed them last summer.
            Where are they located? MY book don't show. thanks
            RIding sober really ain't as bad as I thought it would be.

Comment

You have to take the clock out of the binacle the batteries are located at the back of the clock
              If it aint broke polish it

1979 GS7/11 - 1990 GSX1100F

My Rebuild
              http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=133928

Comment

Originally posted by spvinny78 View Post
                BAttery charging at 16 volts at 5k rpm. Looks like I may need a regulator- rectifier. Anyone replaced one before have any advice on which one works best? Looks to be plenty of replacements out there. Anyone know about which years and models work? And maybe related or unrelated my clock is dim and not working sometimes. THoughts? Suggestions? Thanks in advance
                Originally posted by 92xjunker View Post
                I would make sure the regulator is getting the correct voltage back from the battery. Orange wire should read actual battery voltage, not lower.
                Yes, this... most likely not a regulator issue, but an input issue.

VERY common problem for the Katana

Krey
                93 750 Kat

Modified Swingarm, 5.5 GSXR Rear with 180/55 and 520 Chain, 750 to 600 Tail conversion, more to come. Long Term Project build thread http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=96736

"I've done this a thousand times before. What could possibly go wron.... Ooops!"

Comment

Originally posted by Kreylyn View Post
                  Yes, this... most likely not a regulator issue, but an input issue.
                  VERY common problem for the Katana
                  Krey
                  What is everyone doing to solve this problem, re-wiring or using a jumper wire ?
                  I was thinking I might jump a hot wire from my coil relay mod (5 pin / one not used currently) to the orange input wire.
                  My Katana-1100 17" wheel swap
                  http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=136894

Comment

Just finished doing it on my 88 1100. Didn't feel like taking apart the alternator so picked up a used alternator on ebay for 70 bucks shipped. Simple in and out. Had to make a wire extension but that was the only change. { it was out of a 750 } In my case it was low voltage.....
                    Old Age and Treachery Will Beat Youth and Skill Every Time

Comment

If you are having high voltage, one tip is to make sure that the front marker/turn signals are original or comparable. Mine did the same and i found out it was the aftermarket lights that had been installed. I cannot remember how it was that the generator ties in with the front lights, but it does. Just make sure you have the same bulbs as original.
                      I know it makes no sense, but this is what fixed mine.
                      "Life is what happens when you make plans..."

http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=119546

Comment

I feel confident I have a very precise understanding of the electrical system at this point, I've studied the thing for hours. I don't have my bulbs plugged in at all, so thats not the problem. As a matter of fact, I know the problem is the ignition/ key switch, plus a couple of wires. The key switch is the main problem, and the turn signals you mention pass through the key switch twice. The front blinkers do a loop back through the switch to feed the rear blinkers. Anyway, I was just wondering how others were resolving the issue. I've come to the conclusion that the extra pin on a 5 pin relay should fix the problem for good. I have to wait a few days before I can hook it up to test my theory.

Update:
                        So the extra pin on my 5 pin relay from the coil modification works !
                        Voltage charge at my battery dropped from +15v to 13 volts. It peaked just a few times at no more than 14.5 volts. The amp draw from both circuits had a combined total of 2.9A with a average around 1 amp.
                        Edit: I've noticed a spike of 4+ amps when shutting the engine off, so I've got a 5A fuse which supplies both mods.
                        Last edited by katanarider; 08-12-2015, 01:23 AM.
                        My Katana-1100 17" wheel swap
                        http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=136894

Comment

I have had similar problem on my 95 600 ever since I had it. I know it's 'full fielding' as output is around 17v at anything much over idle.
                          Obviously there is a connection problem to regulator as a new reg didn't fix anything. (and they are expensive, around $125.00 last time)
                          Eventually I'm going to do the bypass wiring direct to reg input, just haven't gotten around to it yet, easier to just keep filling up battery as water 'boils off'
                          It's an interesting theory about front indicators, mine are LED, I'll try adding a resistor and see if anything changes
                          I'm not a complete idiot, but I'm working on it.
                          There are three types of people in the world, those who can count and those who can't

Comment

Working...
                          X