X
X

The road & you

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Interesting you bring up cyclists - here, they are one of the minority groups who see themselves as above the law. They want all the rights yet no responsibility. They lobby for rules to keep cars away from them, yet don't stop for pedestrians at lights and crossings. Huge debate here and there is talk of licenses and registration for cyclists.

But, that's another issue.

No one has ever claimed that wearing gear would prevent an accident.

In an accident, both parties are always at fault ... it is the degree of fault that is apportioned. It could be 50/50?? Perhaps 99/1??

This discussion is about mandated gear and wearing the best protection you can on a motorbike. Focus on you / motorbikes. Don't complicated it by discussing what other road-users should or do wear. It's not a comparison between species but within the species.

Were you, your friends, your wife, your kids, your colleagues, your extended family, neighbours ... all better off because you wore gear?

Comment

Oops i didnt spot that you were austrailian TRPUT, mines a pint of bitter please

Back to the point ......
      From the recent posts, people seem to think i am against wearing decent kit, nothing could be further from the truth but i do believe people should be given the facts & allowed to make the choice for themselves

I also firmly believe that better training would prevent accidents which imho is far better than cleaning up the aftermath

Originally posted by TRPUT View Post
      Interesting you bring up cyclists - here, they are one of the minority groups who see themselves as above the law. They want all the rights yet no responsibility. They lobby for rules to keep cars away from them, yet don't stop for pedestrians at lights and crossings. Huge debate here and there is talk of licenses and registration for cyclists.

But, that's another issue.
      its a senario similar to the one you posted, it could just as easily be another motorbike, whats the problem? i have no interest in discussing cyclists

No one has ever claimed that wearing gear would prevent an accident.
      That is what is inferred by a lot of the posts here! or maybe its because i apparently dont speak english seriously this is exactly what is suggested by the government here in the uk despite the people involved (us bikers) knowing the stupidity of that opinion

This discussion is about mandated gear and wearing the best protection you can on a motorbike. Focus on you / motorbikes. Don't complicated it by discussing what other road-users should or do wear. It's not a comparison between species but within the species.
      You started it, see above

Were you, your friends, your wife, your kids, your colleagues, your extended family, neighbours ... all better off because you wore gear?
      I have no intention of discussing my family or friends here but the answer is a resounding no
      Last edited by tone; 05-08-2014, 02:54 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
      Renthals & twin spots do not make a streetfighter !

Comment

Originally posted by tone View Post
        From the recent posts, people seem to think i am against wearing decent kit

From your early posts, they may have been, but you have addressed this. We all know you wear kit. Time to move on.

I also firmly believe that better training would prevent accidents which imho is far better than cleaning up the aftermath

Total agreement, but not the topic.

its a senario similar to the one you posted, it could just as easily be another motorbike, whats the problem? i have no interest in discussing cyclists

Let's discuss the one scenario then rather than raise a similar but slightly different one.

That is what is inferred by a lot of the posts here! or maybe its because i apparently dont speak english seriously this is exactly what is suggested by the government here in the uk despite the people involved (us bikers) knowing the stupidity of that opinion

Read the posts here again. It has NEVER been suggested or vaguely implied that wearing gear would prevent an accident.

You started it, see above

Started what?? Cyclists?? That would be you. I'm focused on what motorbike riders wear.

I have no intention of discussing my family or friends here but the answer is a resounding no
        It's a scenario. No one is asking you to disclose actual details about your family. But, that's my point. Your decisions affect your friends and family so they are very much part of this discussion. My whole point is that it is selfish to make decisions that may ultimately impact on your friends and family without taking them into consideration in making that decision.

If you seriously think you, your friends and family would be no better off for the fact you were wearing gear in an accident, I feel sorry for you and them.

Comment

krey
          Please understand that we have very different concepts of what the word hateful means, to me if i had posted something racist, sexist or otherwise abhorrent the use of it would be justified, as an accepted extention of that here in the UK anyone who posted such a thing would also be judged to be abhorrent
          https://www.google.co.uk/#q=abhorrent

Now problem now i understand the spirit in which you posted it

Re GS bikes to be honest the argument does not stand up from my point of view my first 79 GS1000 was a little over a year old, in immaculate condition when i bought it & had covered less than 3000 miles, daily use soon showed up the faults with the charging system every gs ive owned since has had similar issues, every UK bike i know of has had the same issues from new & some models were subject to a recall for this exact problem
          Now there may be a differance in US versions i dont know but let me assure you that running a UK version with the lights on all the time would soon cook the reg/rec a common fix for this in later years was & still is to fit a superdream or similar reg/rec then the whole issue goes away this was so common in the 80's that most honda reg/rec's commanded a premium at any breakers yard

Your comments about later bikes & their charging systems stand up no problem

It's a scenario. No one is asking you to disclose actual details about your family. But, that's my point. Your decisions affect your friends and family so they are very much part of this discussion. My whole point is that it is selfish to make decisions that may ultimately impact on your friends and family without taking them into consideration in making that decision.

If you seriously think you, your friends and family would be no better off for the fact you were wearing gear in an accident, I feel sorry for you and them.
          Mate i'm going to pm you regarding this post
          Last edited by tone; 05-08-2014, 04:04 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
          Renthals & twin spots do not make a streetfighter !

Comment

Working...
          X