X

Wahooooo!

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by shpielers View Post
    ...Anyone know if G&J has templates for 1100 brake/clutch lines? I used them for my 600 and had a good experience, wouldn't mind using them again if I can.
    I bought mine (3-line front setup, rear and clutch lines) from G&J. I didn't send them the lines, instead measuring and recording the banjo angles so I don't know if they kept the specs.
    Wherever you go... There you are!

17 Inch Wheel Conversion
    HID Projector Retrofit

Comment

Originally posted by Wild-Bill View Post
      I bought mine (3-line front setup, rear and clutch lines) from G&J. I didn't send them the lines, instead measuring and recording the banjo angles so I don't know if they kept the specs.
      Worth a shot!
      I can always pull mine and send them in, won't be riding it until I get new lines on anyways. I'll give them a call first and see. George seemed pretty organized when he helped me with my 600 so I'm thinking there's a decent chance he'll have some notes for the 1100.

Transferring pics from the phone to the computer. It's going at a glacial pace so won't be uploading any tonight.
      1998 Katana 750
      1992 Katana 1100
      2006 Ninja 250

2006 Katana 600 RIP - 130k miles

Comment

When you have a chance, restore your carbs to non CA specs. I think you need need pilot air jets, emulsion tubes and that's it, but look in the manual to be sure. The throttle blades you can keep.
        The difference? From memory, here are 1/4 mile times I saw:
        49 state- 10.69
        CA state- 11.3
        Half sec that is pretty noticeable! My bike was sooo much better after the transformation, I also have a FP jet kit.

Comment

I thought the FP kit happened to have everything to bring the carbs to 49 state form. No? Good to know! I'm planning to get the jet kit once I verify everything works as it should, guess I'll be doing a little additional shopping as well. Thanks for the heads up!

turns out i took 411 pics. so trying to weed through those a bit...
          Last edited by shpielers; 09-01-2014, 01:46 AM.
          1998 Katana 750
          1992 Katana 1100
          2006 Ninja 250

Comment

The FP kit will work on 49 or CA bikes, all it is, is a three different sets of main jets and needles. You are paying big bucks for special needles but they really are good.
            Other stuff (pilots, emulsion tubes) needs to be replaced.

Comment

Gotcha.
              Guess I'll be paying jetsrus.com a visit. Unless you have a suggestion for elsewhere?

EDIT:
              Turns out bikebandit was easier. For anyone else wanting to convert 1100 carbs to 49 state set up, at bikebandit, you're looking for part #s 1032995 (needle jet aka emulsion tube), #1032739 (pilot air jet) and #1032584 (pilot jet). It's a bit difficult to figure out what pieces you actually need - at least I didn't come across anywhere that listed CA only vs 49 state. And most places I looked did not have descriptions between the parts (ie there would be 2 different pilot jets, but no description to specify which was the CA only and which was the 49 state. Or nothing specifying which was size 32.5 [49 state] vs 42.5 [CA]). So hope someone finds that helpful someday.

FYI, for ordering the needle jet somewhere else, such as jetsrus.com, there are whole lines of these, and many have P0 and P2 sizes. You want the 537 series - (537 P2). I tried adding that to the wiki, but my edit kept getting auto rejected - something about my browser doing weird things?

Carb specs can be found at:

Also, weeded through pics - figured out which ones to upload and did so. This evening I'll start linking to them. They're not exactly glamor shots, but better than nothing!
              Last edited by shpielers; 10-20-2014, 03:29 AM.
              1998 Katana 750
              1992 Katana 1100
              2006 Ninja 250

Comment

Hey folks, started linking pics in. Turns out the formatting got all jacked up, so for now things are kinda crappy. Weird sizing, random orientation...These things WILL be addressed. But I figured I'd at least get some of these pics up in the mean time. Pics up for posts 31-40.

Still waiting on caliper/MC rebuild kits, and bearing/sprockets to come in. And for the 49 state carb internals that I ordered, turns out the emulsion tubes are on backorder...Supposed to only add "1-4 days" but we'll see...
                1998 Katana 750
                1992 Katana 1100
                2006 Ninja 250

Comment

=)

I get a lot of pleasure bringing life back to ...well anything I can tinker with so seeing you bringing this great bike back feels good.

Best of luck with it!

Comment

Thanks man!

Garage access again for a few days!

Yesterday got in the rebuild kits for the calipers and master cylinders. Today got the right fork rebuilt, re valved and resprung. Only took me 5 months since I did the left one... Once I'm done and have my kitty up and running I'll be putting up a how-to for revalving the forks.

The bolt on the bottom that holds everything together - it's a bitch. F#(*er stripped (head rounded out) But I'm stubborn and own a drill and easy-outs.

Also rebuilt the rear caliper. Holy crap...that thing was in horrible horrible shape. Congealed brake fluid everywhere. I swear I took pics of this, but they are nowhere to be found. Sucks, but C'est la vie...
                    Planning on rebuilding the front calipers tomorrow. Or at least 1 of them, today was my only day off this week. Bandit calipers are 4 pot, so since I dont have any prior experience with those, I'm expecting something along the way to trip me up a bit.
                    Last edited by shpielers; 11-17-2014, 08:02 PM.
                    1998 Katana 750
                    1992 Katana 1100
                    2006 Ninja 250

Comment

So that garage access largely didn't pan out so wasn't able to get nearly as much done as I'd hoped this week. So while I'm not thrilled about that, I did receive another nice box in the mail today: 11/12ths of the pieces i need to convert the carbs to 49 state. Still have 1 emulsion tube on back order...and I found out my sprockets should be hitting the mail sometime real soon.

I'm about to head out to a wedding in CO for a few days, but when I get back I'm rebuilding those calipers at my apartment so I can mount them the following weekend. Don't have anything else going on so should be able to mount those and rebuild the slave/MC for the clutch and the MC for the front brakes. And hopefully get those sprockets and my chain installed. It'll be a busy weekend, but should go smoothly. After that she'll almost be ready to run...aiming for the 1st ride the last weekend in September.
                      1998 Katana 750
                      1992 Katana 1100
                      2006 Ninja 250

Comment

Calipers done. They were in surprisingly good shape. Either the donor bike was a garage queen or meticulously looked after. The pistons were really clean, seals were great (was a #*[^£ to remove the pistons) and the brake fluid left behind wasn't full of chunks. Went ahead and replaced seals/pistons and pins. Hopefully I get a chance to mount them up tomorrow morning before work.

Split with pistons still in

pads and pins:

pistons out:

Old pistons - they're actually in great shape. They would have cleaned up and been reusable, but I ordered new ones before I took these apart. Might as well use the new ones...

New vs old pin, pretty groady

Cleaning up the bolts - can't tell you how many of these things I've run through dies and/or hit with a wire brush...

Pistons and seals in - pretty straight forward, same as any other caliper. Lube 'em up, chuck em in.

I honed the cylinders but apparently didn't take any pics of that. Use your imagination.

Emulsion tubes all arrived, they were on back order. Received 3 early last week and the last one over the weekend. Looking forward to my weekend (Sunday/Monday) so I can get the carbs finished, calipers installed, and MCs rebuilt.
                        Last edited by shpielers; 11-17-2014, 08:25 PM.
                        1998 Katana 750
                        1992 Katana 1100
                        2006 Ninja 250

Comment

More please
                          Carpe Jugulum...
                          1994 GSX1100F

Please check out my re-build thread: http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=128660

Comment

Will be working on uploading pics again tonight

Post 41 updated with pics. Tomorrow morning: caliper install. Tomorrow night, at least starting pics for post 44.
                            Last edited by shpielers; 09-19-2014, 03:20 AM.
                            1998 Katana 750
                            1992 Katana 1100
                            2006 Ninja 250

Comment

Carpe Jugulum...
                              1994 GSX1100F

Please check out my re-build thread: http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=128660

Comment

I used an automatic centre punch to remove my carb float retaining pins, came out a treat although youre always thinking the pin supports are going to snap
                                If it aint broke polish it

1979 GS7/11 - 1990 GSX1100F

My Rebuild
                                http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=133928

Comment

Working...
                                X