No announcement yet.
X

My 1994 GSX1100F rebuild

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

check out http://www.robinsonsfoundry.co.uk/ , fixed rate 5 pund shipping. Ive bought lots of stuff , they ship instantly.
    2015 BMW S1000R

Comment

Hoevding and Mammut, thanks for the info guys, any info on getting parts cheaply in Norway would be gratefully received (Hoevding, forgasser deler leverandør infomasjon - ja takk vær så snill)
      Dr.Acula, Rock på mann !

Ok, so I've done a little more dismantling:

That's the rear shocker out of the way.

The oil cooler's off and is currently having all its bashed in fins straightened out also the original exhaust is out of the way - what a heavy setup that is !

All the wiring, the seat locking mechanism, the front pegs bracketry with the rear brake and the suspension are now on the bench.

I'm now ready to drain the oil and drop the engine anyone notice that I forgot to loosen/remove the front drive sprocket retaining nut before removing the chain - Doh!! going to be a bugger to get it off now - any tips anyone

Thanks for looking (takk for meg) Engelskmannen.
      Carpe Jugulum...
      1994 GSX1100F

Please check out my re-build thread: http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=128660

Comment

Ok. Heres the adress for the seller of the carb.repair kits: Customer Service URL: http://www.lionparts.com
        Customer Service Email:
        [email protected]
        Customer Service Phone:
        514-250-2385

And the partnumber: 88-93 SUZUKI GSX1100F Katana K&L Carburetor Economy Repair Kit 721766

Totalcost, incl shipping VAT, DATT og FNATT: 166USD (1037.- NOK)

To remove the front sprocket nut you have to use a impact wrench. Just hold the sprocket steady with a pipewrench of some kind... Inspect the nut for damage on the gangs (gjenger=gangs). The nut is slightly softer than the spline and the treads tends to wear out. I use to add some threadlock sement on the threads before i install the nut, and a new lockwasher if needed. I see that you have dismantled your bike. Give the swingarmbearing a check, and a good clean and greasing. Use a torqwrench when you install the suspesion linkages.
        Last edited by Hoevding; 01-08-2013, 10:39 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
        Rune

Comment

...and it`s not only only; but, but!!
          Rune

Comment

Thanks for the information Rune it's not bare bare heller

I've managed to find a couple of hours to tidy up my garage a little and pull the rest of Suzy apart, here's some pics:

Here's a couple of pics that'll explain why the steering was notchy and would stick in places rather than swinging freely from side to side, once the triple was removed I found all manner of grit and crap in the head bearings along with old and dried up grease...

The inner races are completely shot, New taper bearings are now ordered, hopefully this'll help to sort out the handling like a shopping trolley problem

I'm now in a position to start to clean up and repaint the frame then I can get her put back together again with all the new parts I've obtained and almost certainly lots more that I'll need /want as I go along

Thanks for looking, Engelskmannen.
            Carpe Jugulum...
            1994 GSX1100F

Please check out my re-build thread: http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=128660

Comment

Known stuff... You have reach the point of no return. The fun part is in front of you. I guess you repaint the frame, fork legs and the black parts as well?. Use the time it takes, you know the devil is in the details. "It`s not the fart that kills it`s the smell" For foreighn readers; this was the words from a norwegian world champion in rally. My slogan is: "fart and tention" (fart og spenning). The link below shows a GSX1100F meeting in Germany. "Schnell und falsch" (fort og gæli)..

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jhqGAHFhsBw"]GSX 1100F Forums-Treffen 2011 (Ankündigung) - YouTube[/ame]
              Rune

Comment

Nice looking bike!! I've been where you are and seeing the bike stripped made me smile! Seems like the previous owner wasn't too bothered ( excellent work on the radiator with the coat hangers ... ingenious!! lol). All the 'fettling' is certainly worth it as when you get her running smoothly they're a joy to ride and pull like a train. I have two of these but use one as donor bike, also parts thankfully are no too difficult to get hold of online, but there can be issues due to the age of the parts. Anyway all the best with it, it'll be worth it and look forward to watching the bikes progress!

Comment

Hi Andy, thanks for the encouragement - I've not done too much to the bike of late, a little sandblasting, lots of degreasing of parts, some priming and some "more in-depth" dismantling ( front forks, brake calipers etc...) I'll post up some pics over the weekend

Cheers, Engelskmannen.

P.s. Welcome to KR by the way, any chance of some pics of your 1100F ?
                  Carpe Jugulum...
                  1994 GSX1100F

Comment

Hello.. how does it goes with the project? I have been lazy, haven`t done anything lately. Well, a little, i manage to get some of the electric on my GS550 rebuild. Got some lights here and there.. when it is light theres some kind of hope (i hope). Next step is to make the windscreen of some fabric i bought, and upon that i have bought a GSX400E. This is some of the ugliest bikes ever made, and nomatter what you do to the bike it can`t be worse than the original. I am going to build a caferacer of it. Well, "Racer" og "Racer" mrs.Blom, or i can melt it down and make racors of it. You know, nobody knows the day before the pub closes. Its still hard to be a nisse, and just keep on spikking, maybe we can be spikkers of first degree.
                    Rune

Comment

Holy cow! It looked like English but I've got no idea what you just said.
                      spikker?
                      racor?
                      nisse?
                      If you're building a windscreen for the GS550 why did you need to buy a GSX400E?
                      Wherever you go... There you are!

17 Inch Wheel Conversion
                      HID Projector Retrofit

Comment

You don`t know julekalender-english? Well maybe this link will help you out a bit: [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5UqP0vUKEGY"]The Julekalender - The Støveldance Lyrics / Tekst - YouTube[/ame]

And back to reality. Yes, i was going to make a windscreen for my 1100..i have discussed it before with my norwegian friend here. And for a while ago i achieved a old GSX400. The rider run into a elk, and i bought the bike (wreck) some weeks ago. I have plans of building a caferacer out of this bike. Because i think this bike is stunning ugly as stock i figured that nomatter what i do to it, it cant get worse. It even looked better than original after it hit the elk. And i said since the bike is everything but a racer i could melt down the metal and reuse it as racors as a good alternative.

The words "nisse" and "spikke" is strictly norwegian words used in a absurd contex

You know there a lot of words in english and norwegian that are spelled similair, but has a different meaning..
                        Rune

Comment

Catchy tune but I still have no idea what those words mean. Guess this is why I don't claim to speak any Norwegian. I'm not a natural linguist but I have a lot easier time with romance languages and German. Used to speak some Tagalog but it's been years so that's gone. Same with Flemish and Portuguese. None of them seem to have any similarity to the Scandinavian languages although German seems to be close enough to confuse.

What ever happened to the entire world speaking Esperanto by 2000?

17 Inch Wheel Conversion
                          HID Projector Retrofit

Comment

Hmm, you have some talent when it comes to languages. German language and norwegian language are close related. Norwegian is in princip northern germanic language. And remember there are some words in american english that have norwegian roots. Maybe we close the subject here before the manager close us down.
                            Rune

Comment

Good morning Gentlemen, sorry about the updates taking so long, lots of other stuff taking up all of my time at the mo' and I've just been back to the UK for ten days for a little holiday (to pick up spares and new parts ha ha).

Rune , hvordan is is going ? snart it is våren again good luck with the 400 streetfighter ! I've just bought a 10cm taller screen for my 1100 - I didn't fancy trying to make one myself Here's a pic of the old and the new side by side:

I haven't done too much to the bike for a while but here's some pics of how things stand right now

Here's my engine ready to be cleaned - note the suspicious oil stain on the corner of the cam cover...

Here's the Lh handlebar after I'd straightened the mounting bracket in the work's hydraulic press, the previous owner had dropped the bike on its' side and bent the bugger upwards.

Here's the carbs being reassembled after cleaning and being given new seals and float jets.

Here's the old and the new rear brake disc, the old on has deep score marks on the back face and measure's only 5.5mm in the centre, new seals for the caliper are on order to fix the sticking piston problem that wore out the old disc.

It's getting crowded in here now

Here's some parts that have been sand blasted and primed ready for painting - not sure whether to paint the fork stanchions and the wheels gold the same as the brake calipers or to stick with originality.

The power screen mechanism is now cleaned and freed up ready for reassembly.

Parts still awaiting attention.

More parts waiting for me to play with them

I've bought another oil cooler as mine is damaged but it has the wrong oil pipe connectors and has crush damage at the bottom, it should provide me with the top mounting brackets though if I can get them off intact.

Boxes of parts that have been cleaned up, note that there are two chain "rubbers", I managed to get an almost new one to replace my old one that had been chewed up by a slack chain.

More bits sandblasted and primed.

That's all for now folks, next is to clean up and repaint the frame and then I can start bolting it all together again

Rune, yes, I think we could be world class spikkers sammen - vi snakes

Thanks for taking the time to look, Engelskmannen.
                              Carpe Jugulum...
                              1994 GSX1100F

Comment

Just looking at the photos makes me shake my head. You've gotten much deeper into that bike than I would have thought you had to, based on the initial photos. Time you get done, it's going to be a brand new bike!

17 Inch Wheel Conversion
                                HID Projector Retrofit

Comment

Working...
                                X