X

My 1994 GSX1100F rebuild

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My 1994 GSX1100F rebuild

Hi all, I wrote in the introductions not to long ago about a possible purchase and after going ahead I thought I'd start a little thread of my own.
    Here's Suzy just before I bought her:

She's in quite good condition for her 18 years, totally original but has been sadly neglected by the last owner. The chain and sprockets are worn out - new ones obtained, the choke cable had been cut at the handlebars a new one came in the post yesterday, she doesn't seem to have as much power as expected and smells like she's running rich - the carbs are now on the bench for investigation but I haven't got round to inspecting the plugs yet, she goes around corners and traffic islands like a shopping cart - suggestions please gentlemen the screen drags on one side - now removed and awaiting attention, the clock didn't work - the previous owner had stuck a cheap digital clock over the top of it - now removed, the clocks dismantled and the two batteries replaced so all ok now including the illumination.
    After lifting her skirts I found that she was very grubby underneath, the battery is too small and someone has broken off the two fixing lugs at the top of the oil cooler and resorted to lock wiring it in place
    Because of this I've decided to totally strip her and undertake a total rebuild excluding the engine (hopefully )

I'll post up pictures as I go so please wish me luck and feel free to offer advice/suggestions (both clean or not - it don't matter )

Thanks for reading, Engelskmannen.
    Carpe Jugulum...
    1994 GSX1100F

Please check out my re-build thread: http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=128660

Looks like a good starting point!!! Did it cone with the luggage compartments?

Comment

Very nice shape and was just awaiting for a good owner you'll have her 100% soon

Comment

Nice. Good luck on the rebuild.
        2002 750 Kat
        2013 Polaris 850 XP LE(wrecked)
        2002 Ski-Doo MXZ 800
        2002 Ski-Doo MXZ 800 X-package
        1999 Ski-Doo MXZ 670 H.O.
        2009 Kawasaki KX250F(SOLD)

Comment

welcome and grats on the nice bike. I wouldnt take the engine apart unless there is something wrong. I think if you give the carbs a long and warm dip in a ultrasonic cleaner and change the usual oil, airfilter etc you are good. I would try to spend some time on the suspension to get the bike responding nicely in the corners. do a total overhaul of the forks and get some springs that fit your weight. TMOD on the forum can help you with that. the rear shock might need to be serviced and spring changed as well. Lots of nice information on the forum. keep up the pictures
          2015 BMW S1000R

Comment

VERY nice! Clean up the windshield tracks with WD-40 and then lube them with some Vaseline, replace the float needles, fix the oil cooler mounts and cherish those bags! I'd love to have a set of those.

As for the handling, slap some new springs in the forks and talk to Tmod about the shock. Heck, talk to him about new fork springs, too. He's not working for himself anymore so he'll be selling you his employer's rebuild services but I don't think he'll steer you wrong at all. He's incredibly knowledgeable about suspensions. The other thing that will contribute greatly to the handling is upgrading the wheels to 17" rims. (See the link below for a read-through of the process.) If you're going to do that be sure to let Tmod know when you chat with him.

I wouldn't even consider rebuilding that engine unless you find some sort of problem. These things are good for 50,000-100,000 miles. Based on the appearance, that bike's got nowhere near those kinds of miles.
            Wherever you go... There you are!

17 Inch Wheel Conversion
            HID Projector Retrofit

Comment

Thanks for the input Gents, looks like I need to ask the missus for some more parts for Christmas The luggage did indeed follow with the bike so I reckon I got lucky there - the carrier also has the Suzuki label on it so possibly factory fitted, it's certainly well made.

Here's some more pics as I've moved along:

Spot the lockwire bodge

This is the inside of the clock showing the two batteries to be replaced.

And here's my little helper - everyone should have one

I've now invested in repair kits for the clutch slave and master cylinders together with a new braided steel hose for it as the clutch also dragged summat horrid and neutral is almost impossible to find with the motor running

More pics to follow - thanks for reading and please keep the suggestions coming.

Engelskmannen.
              Carpe Jugulum...
              1994 GSX1100F

Please check out my re-build thread: http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=128660

Comment

While all the plastic is off:
                1) Check the valve clearances. After you clean up the carb, synch it.
                2) hook up relays for the head light and the coils. Install a 80/100w bulb. You'll have an incredible light pattern that won't annoy oncoming motorists. The extra juice to the coils will make for smoother running.
                3) Change every fluid. If anything, do this for piece of mind. New brake fluid, clutch fluid, motor oil, don't forget the forks too. Made a huge difference when I replaced the creepy black looking stock fluid with Redline medium grade fluid.

Comment

nice ride,man.am VERY jealous.lol
                  1988 katana 600 that wants to grow up to be a streetfighter

Comment

Nice ride indeed... love the top bag....
                    "Life is what happens when you make plans..."

http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=119546

Comment

He's got the full monte. You going to go looking for an OEM top case now Nut-Nut? With your luck you'll probably find one that's been sitting on a shelf for the last 20 years that you can have for hauling it away!

Originally posted by Engelskmannen View Post
                      ...I've now invested in repair kits for the clutch slave and master cylinders together with a new braided steel hose for it as the clutch also dragged summat horrid and neutral is almost impossible to find with the motor running...
                      When you go after the slave cylinder be sure you hone it before installing the new seals. Mine seems to have been hanging up with the new seals and wasn't letting the clutch re-engage all the way. Burned up two clutches.
                      Last edited by Wild-Bill; 12-14-2012, 09:15 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
                      Wherever you go... There you are!

17 Inch Wheel Conversion
                      HID Projector Retrofit

Comment

Thanks for the tip Wild Bill, this is the kind of insider info that makes a good forum great !

I haven't done to much to the bike for the last week or so except to buy lots of new stuff from Ebay but hope to escape the family for a while at Christmas and get the frame stripped bare ready to be re-sprayed.
                        Here's a few more pics to be going along with:

Thanks for looking, Engelskmannen.
                        Carpe Jugulum...
                        1994 GSX1100F

Comment

Nice find. There are two small rollers that the windshield rides against, make sure they spin freely or this will cause drag. Where did you get your clutch rebuild stuff, I am going to have to do mine soon. Nice pics. You will love this bike I know I do, good luck.

Comment

Thanks for that; the screen is on my "to do" list I got all my spares from ebay.co.uk, very good prices too.

I managed to find an hour to play with my bike yesterday so here's a few more pics of the stripdown;

Some battery acid damage here and some of the wiring had been rubbing against the mudguard - i recommend everyone to have a look at their bikes in this region before things start to short out...

Here's a better shot of the wiring damage...

That's it for now, thanks for looking

Engelskmannen.
                            Carpe Jugulum...
                            1994 GSX1100F

Comment

Nice find, I also like the triumph,TR8?
                              "I'm sorry, I didn't mean to upset you when I called you stupid. I thought you already knew..."
                              spammer police
                              USAF veteran
                              If your a veteran, join the KR veterans group

Comment

Working...
                              X