X

idle adjustment screw

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• idle adjustment screw

To turn up the idle ,is it clockwise ( white knob) or counter-clockwise?
    just asking cause its not really working.. I think the cable inside is just spinning. I have about 800 rpm & trying to get closer to 1100 rpm thanks

Clockwise = higher idle
    Counter clockwise = lower idle

Comment

Common fault on the 1100 if its got the extension piece on it, easy enough to glue back together

it works as mentioned above
      Renthals & twin spots do not make a streetfighter !

Comment

Hey thanks,i'm not looking foward to tearing off the carbs again besides the tank full of gas but as i posted earlier this bike runs awesome since i rebuilt the carbs . i just have to get this idle up about 3 to 4 hundred rpm so it idles
        where it should. Someone used a hose clamp on the brown sheath to keep it together but its not working very well.

Comment

Mine had a rubber hose with fabric cover - looked like a high pressure overflow fuel line. It was hard and cooked into a bent shape.

I used auto fuel line. I applied locktight to the ends but that didn't really work. I am using a zip tie and that seems to work ok.

You might be able to remove the hose and turn the screw with long need-nosed pliers or forceps.
          '81 GS850G, '90 GSX1100F, '96 BMW K1100RS

Comment

well i got the idle set to about 1000 rpm & thats good enough for me,
            the bike runs really great . When you rev it up it drops right down quick
            just like it should.Funny driving it around (on my street) without the mirrors and fairings after i just installed a stage 1 jet kit, less weight, more power
            with super clean carbs and sync.. Up next is the bodywork a whole lotta
            sanding and paint.. After searching awhile i think i found a paint scheme
            i like . now i just have to pick the right two colors that looks good
            trying to post a pic of it.. any thoughts on the colors????
            Attached Files

Comment

Take cable off spline, clean with alcohol swab, smear JB cold weld in it, reinsert.
              Smear grease on the gear on the carb . Also, make sure the arm that the knob thingie isn't bent, it can put at awkard angle (already is) to make it harder to turn.
              Arm bends pretty easily.

Comment

Think I may have the same problem on my 90 1100, idles at around 3000 rpm and turning adjuster yields no results. I have had bike where black fuel line type hose was used, but mine seems to have the fabric covered pressure hose material mentioned above. will pull apart and check both sides.. thanks for the info =]

Comment

ok so my screw isn't stuck, i removed airbox, and it is indeed turning when i turn knob. However the idle will not go down past 3k rpm. i noticed there's a slider at the throst of each carb, on the airbox side of the butterfly. this slider has a half moon cutout on the bottom, but otherwise is solid. The choke does not move these, nor does the throttle i is that normal? and why put them there if they dont move, they basically act as restrictors...

thanks

Comment

Originally posted by caferacer70 View Post
                    ok so my screw isn't stuck, i removed airbox, and it is indeed turning when i turn knob. However the idle will not go down past 3k rpm. i noticed there's a slider at the throst of each carb, on the airbox side of the butterfly. this slider has a half moon cutout on the bottom, but otherwise is solid. The choke does not move these, nor does the throttle i is that normal? and why put them there if they dont move, they basically act as restrictors...

thanks
                    These black "sliders" house the jet needles and are also attached to the rubber diaphragm that you see when you remove the top cover of the carb..they're normal and are supposed to be there. High idle RPM can indicate a vacuum leak or dirty carbs..

Comment

I have the same problem on my 1989 1100, my bike won't idle either, the screw is plastic and won't turn, how much pressure can I put on it? With pliers? Can I get at the other end through the air box and maybe squirt some WD40 into the top end so it seeps down? Possible? I am not up to removing the tank and doing carb work. It was running perfectly and just stopped. New plugs so not the problem. Thanks for any tips.

Comment

Working...
                      X