X

Wheels...AGAIN!!!

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wheels...AGAIN!!!

Ok, so I know this is a dead horse but what appears to be the least expensive 17" swap? I dont mind a 160/120 combo..dont need a 180. It seems like the RF600 appears to be the way to go, but with not a lot of race horses...I mean resources (lol) at my disposal to manufacture spacers and or custom offset parts I'm slightly at a loss and want to get the swap done this winter to get this thing back on the road. Thought? Inputs? Help? Offers to make spacers for some of the people who don't have lathes at the disposal?

Peace,
    Dave F
    Peace,
    Dave F
    Maryland,USA
    '01 Flame red Aprilia Futura.... and all the non stock silliness that was surely inevitable
    '93 Suzuki Katana 1100 Stg 1 and V&H pipe...( a very cool bike!)

" A man who does not follow his dreams...
    might as well be a vegetable"
    Burt Munro

There's a search function on this site. It would have gotten you here:

Or you could have checked the "1100 Kats ONLY!" section of the forum, too. Lots of info here.
    Wherever you go... There you are!

17 Inch Wheel Conversion
    HID Projector Retrofit

Comment

I have searched and read most but still seems vague as what the general consensus is of which is least expensive amongst they whom have partaken in the task of the swap. Of those which have gone forth, has there been a constant to which most have adhered? GSXR, RF, 600/750 Katana? I am partial to the look of the 90' GSXR wheels but again without ability to manufacture pieces I am at a crossroads.
      Peace,
      Dave F
      Maryland,USA
      '01 Flame red Aprilia Futura.... and all the non stock silliness that was surely inevitable

Burt Munro

Comment

OK, here's the deal. You can't get something for nothing. There just isn't any way to install wheels from another bike onto your 1100 without having to so some sort of work. I think I found the least fab-intensive way to do it but if there's no way you can manage to fab even that much then your best bet is probably going be to stick with the wheels you've got.

17 Inch Wheel Conversion
        HID Projector Retrofit

Comment

I just read nut nut's write up with the 95 GSXR fork swap...I am going that route.....I'm pretty sure I can handle it and if I need something made I will ask around in my Ducati club for a fabricator....I need to get this started or the wife is gonna shoot me..lol Thanks for answering my plea...
          Peace,
          Dave F
          Maryland,USA

Burt Munro

Comment

No problem and good luck. Take lots of photos and let us know how it goes. I stuck with the stock forks which avoided some of Nut-Nut's issues and he went a different route which avoided some of my issues. The one thing that bothers me about Nut-Nut's swap is that it lowered the front end quite a bit (which has a significant effect on the steering) and now his fender hits the fairing on hard breaking. Watch for that.

17 Inch Wheel Conversion
            HID Projector Retrofit

Comment

I gotta ask...why even bother? I realize the selection is not as great for 16in tires, but there still are some great choices. I was contemplating going to 17in a while back and finally came to the conclusion that the gain from it was so minimal that it wasn't even worth the effort.
              I don't have a short temper. I just have a quick reaction to bullshit.

Comment

Ride an 1100 with 17" rims sometime. The difference in handling is immense. When I first got the bike last fall I thought of her as a hefty girl but with a lot of power. Now she feels light on her feet and is a lot more fun to ride. Where the bike was having to be physically pushed into a turn and then held there, now she's falling into the turn with just a bit of a nudge and stabilizing right away. While in the turn, bumps don't upset the front end nearly as much. I'm convinced it's because the weight of the wheel and tire have been moved out from the center of rotation, increasing the gyroscopic effect.

I wasn't all that convinced either but the bike came with a GSXR rear wheel and bearings and I like tinkering. I planned everything out so I could easily swap back to the stockers if things didn't work out. Then I rode her. I'm definitely sticking with the 17" wheels and I'm really glad I did it.

17 Inch Wheel Conversion
                HID Projector Retrofit

Comment

Originally posted by Wild-Bill View Post
                  No problem and good luck. Take lots of photos and let us know how it goes. I stuck with the stock forks which avoided some of Nut-Nut's issues and he went a different route which avoided some of my issues. The one thing that bothers me about Nut-Nut's swap is that it lowered the front end quite a bit (which has a significant effect on the steering) and now his fender hits the fairing on hard breaking. Watch for that.
                  The front fender clearance is an issue, I am going to "cut" a design on the front fender this winter that should take care of it... that is, if new oil does not fix it...

A new issue I have to add to my write up is that if you go my way and put a 180 in the rear, you will have to trim and reposition the rear inner fender as it will just rub against the right side of the tire. I have a bad feeling that something on my rear frame is not entirely straight though...

@MoJoe... I have to agree with Wild-Bill, the difference in ride quality, as well as cornering stability is night and day. Granted, my swap also lowered the front as well as add a lot more adjustability to the front suspension, but added to Bill's write up, the wheels alone made a huge difference....

@OP which ever route you go is entirely up to you. I was lucky enough to come a cross a parts bike that had all i needed. But Wild-Bill's write up was what lit the fire for the swap. His way is in actuallity more straight forward... and mine, with the exception of the risers, is almost a direct swap.... Good luck either way you go. Deff keep pics before and after and keep us posted if you undertake the swap...
                  "Life is what happens when you make plans..."

http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=119546

Comment

Originally posted by Nut-Nut View Post
                    ...A new issue I have to add to my write up is that if you go my way and put a 180 in the rear, you will have to trim and reposition the rear inner fender as it will just rub against the right side of the tire. I have a bad feeling that something on my rear frame is not entirely straight though...
                    I've got a 180/55/17 on mine, too and it doesn't interfere at all with the inner fender. Take a look at your shock. Maybe add some pre-load or send off to T-Mod for a rebuilt GSXR shock.

My tire is really close to the chain and I had to build a new brake stay to angle around the tire. I think 170/60/17 is the biggest tire I'd suggest with the 1100's swingarm and chain location. That will put your ride height at 0.2 inches below stock which is actually 0.1 inches higher than the 180/55/17 I've got on there now thanks to the taller sidewall. Pretty close.

17 Inch Wheel Conversion
                    HID Projector Retrofit

Comment

@Disgoduc: So have you decided what you want to do?

17 Inch Wheel Conversion
                      HID Projector Retrofit

Comment

same as what you did. Now to locate forks, wheels and all the other misc parts I will need. As winter bears it grunt upon the land I shall be busy converting my Kat to a more modern stance. Thanks to you and wild Bill, of course....

sorry Bill...not all together today. I meant you and Nut nut........
                        Last edited by Disgoduc; 10-10-2011, 05:57 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
                        Peace,
                        Dave F
                        Maryland,USA

Burt Munro

Comment

Yeah. I didn't change out the forks. Nut-Nut did. I'm pretty happy with my front end but I'm thinking hard about re-doing the rear to go with a 4.5 inch rim. The 180 tire on a 5.5 inch rim is a really tight fit in the swingarm.

If you decide to stick with the stock forks let me know. I have an extra adapter for the speedo drive that I could mail to you. it'll take a little work with a file to fit perfectly but it'd save cutting your own.

17 Inch Wheel Conversion
                          HID Projector Retrofit

Comment

Working...
                          X