X

Gas Leak from Carbs

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Kreylyn View Post
    Start with just cleaning and inspecting the carbs. From there replace parts you find that are damaged or worn out. Most times just a simple cleaning is all that is needed.

Krey
    Hi All,

I have wanted to try some Carb cleaning solution that goes into the tank first. The B12 Carb cleaner calls for about 1oz into a full tank. Ever tried that?
    "Your time is limited, so don't waste it living someone else's life...have the courage to follow your heart and intuition. They somehow already know what you truly want to become." (Steve Jobs)

Comment

Originally posted by GodZuki1100 View Post
      Hi All,

I have wanted to try some Carb cleaning solution that goes into the tank first. The B12 Carb cleaner calls for about 1oz into a full tank. Ever tried that?
      Carb cleaner that you dump in the gas is not an acceptable substitute for actually taking the carbs apart and cleaning them. You can run carb cleaner in the gas, and it may help if you have a slightly inconsistent idle or something like that, but it's not going to solve any big fueling issues. I run it myself, honestly, but I do it more for prevention than for cure. Every now and then I run a little bit through, just for the hell of it.
      Any and all statements by Loudnlow7484 are merely his own opinions, and not necessarily the opinion of Katriders.com. Anything suggested by him is to be followed at your own risk, and may result in serious injury or death. Responses from this member have previously been attributed to all of the following: depression, insomnia, nausea, suicidal tendencies, and panic. Please consult a mental health professional before reading any post by Loudnlow7484.

Comment

My 1988 1100 Kat

I smell gas but is is not too strong. Fuel meter works fine and is not indicating fuel leaking. I was thinking first of putting a carb cleaning solvent that is made to go in the tank. About one ounce in a full tank of gas. Anyone ever try this?

Originally posted by loudnlow7484 View Post
        Carb cleaner that you dump in the gas is not an acceptable substitute for actually taking the carbs apart and cleaning them. You can run carb cleaner in the gas, and it may help if you have a slightly inconsistent idle or something like that, but it's not going to solve any big fueling issues. I run it myself, honestly, but I do it more for prevention than for cure. Every now and then I run a little bit through, just for the hell of it.
        Thanks, I will pull them off then.
        Last edited by GodZuki1100; 09-26-2011, 10:48 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
        "Your time is limited, so don't waste it living someone else's life...have the courage to follow your heart and intuition. They somehow already know what you truly want to become." (Steve Jobs)

Comment

Go with SeaFoam, Lucas or B-12 and follow the quantity instructions on the label. Remember that usually a whole bottle is meant for treating 20-25 gallons. Too much in your 5 gallon tank will definitely make the bike run badly until you burn the stuff off. Too little and you're not doing any good.
          Wherever you go... There you are!

17 Inch Wheel Conversion
          HID Projector Retrofit

Comment

Originally posted by johnnybad1 View Post
            Well after replacing all the float valves and o-rings the carbs are leaking gas again. What the hell. Every second ride or so there's a big gas leak under the bike. None of the floats had fuel in them when I had the carbs apart. What could be causing this problem?
            i had the same problem, turned out it was my petcock and incorrect float height. I bought a petcock repair kit from ebay and fixed the floats to the correct height and the problem was solved.
            sigpic
            If everyone rode motorcycles there wouldn't be so many idiot drivers

Comment

Working...
            X