X

Just got new tires

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Just got new tires

I am hoping to take the big kitty down to CA and have one thing after another that needs to be replaced. Tires? Middle is almost bald on both, the rear is square. I think that the tires (Avon Azzaro Radials) are at least 7 years old.
    While replacing the rear, I noticed that the rear pads are almost totally worn out. I got them (don't laugh) from JC Whitney on sale for $10, Tuffstop brand. I went to the local shop two minutes before closing and ordered some EBC pads.
    I replaced my tires with the same as I had before- Avon Azzaro's. When I first got them, they were newest of the radial tires that would fit the kat 16" hoops. I had a Michelin Macadam radial on the rear (which gave decent service) and a pirelli radial on the front. I once had a michelin radial in the front (I think they called them the macadam90) and the thing cupped horribly. There were also a set of radials from Metzler available, but they were $$$.
    I like the Avons a lot as they grip/ride/wear well.Interestingly enough, Metzler still makes the lasertec bias ply sport touring tire- the oem tire for the bike.
    So in a nutshell, by all of the above virtues, these Avons are the best tire that will fit stock rims. Don't even suggest to me that I buy larger rims for better tire variety as I am saving my $....wife gave the go ahead for me to buy a new connie. So, after my trip, I'll decide whether to get a leftover 2010 or a 2011 model.

well good for you you got your use out of those tires.... and for the brakes good call on getting diffrent ones..... what is a connie???? also did you look at pilot powers
    time to nut up or shut up
    Originally posted by Rican Katgrl
    The way that I look at it is, gear is cheaper than hospital bills and skin grafts. Yes, I think people are idiots for not wearing proper gear. Whether you ride a harley or sport bike. If you have money to go buy a bike then be smart and buy the gear. Whether its 50 degrees or a 100 degress its ATGATT for me.... But that is just my opinion.

Comment

Connie = Kawasaki Concours

Comment

Originally posted by 1990gsx 600 View Post
        well good for you you got your use out of those tires.... and for the brakes good call on getting diffrent ones..... what is a connie???? also did you look at pilot powers
        The pilots don't come in stock sizes. The only Mich tires that might fit on a stock kat 11 are the bias ply tires made for cruisers- ick!
        Those TuffStop pads actually served me pretty well. I got them like ten years ago.I would say that for the Tuffstops, they are cheap, have ok stopping, excellent feel, low dust, low noise and easy on the rotors. If you drive aggressively, they wouldn't be the best, but if you are more into touring, they are good. I also have stainless steel lines.
        Seems a bit strange that I am pouring $ into a bike when I'll be shopping for a successor, but I'll likely be keeping the bike awhile. Even though it is outdated and outperformed by new stuff, it has its charm. Hey, my '06 GTO can outperfom any '60's car, but that doesn't stop me from considering buying a coworkers '70 Plymouth 440 GTX (damn, do I want that car!). Also, noticed that there is a bit more side to side play in my chain than I'd like, so I am going to order and RK chain/sprocket set (there goes another $200!).
        C14-Concours. Has electric windshield like Kat11.Also has display that tells you gear engaged, tire pressure, air temp, mpg, fuel range, drive mode. Can be had with abs and traction control. Has shaft drive, linked brakes,hard luggage, electrically locked glove box, eco mode for better mpg (good for up to 50mpg), vvt motor. Current model can do 10.32 1/4 mile. Think of it as a bike that has much of the luxury of a Goldwing, but also has the power of an older ZX11.
        Last edited by DClark; 09-19-2010, 12:30 PM.

Comment

Working...
        X