X

Rear luggage carriers & boxes.

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rear luggage carriers & boxes.

Has anyone fitted a rear luggage carrier and or top box onto their 1100 Katana, if so what make did you use and how did you bolt it all on.

Mine came with factory luggage . but I hear that it can be done .
    Scotty Doesn't Know ...Scotty Doesn't Know.. Don't Tell Scotty

Comment

I was thinking more on the lines of a top box for the rear.I do have a set of the old Krauser luggage on it + the Krauser rear laggage rack,but thats way too narrow so its not on the bike.

Comment

wait let me understand .. you have the "stock" hard luggage or not ?
        If so and you replace them please let me know .
        I might be interested in the old luggage . Mine has taken a few hits over the last 20 years and could use spare parts . do you have and photos of the luggage you are using now ?

Also I feel the need to mention that weebl (a close friend of mine) has been looking at hard bags and has found a set that will work ok for his 1100 .
        you could ask him about it , If he's not out of town .

Comment

luggage

RIKERAN I have a set of Krauser hard bags on my 1100.I have had them on GS650g,GS 700ESE and now they are on my Kat1100. I am looking for a rear luggage carrier for it.I dont like the idea of just bunjeeing something on the rear plastic. Do you have a Suzuki luggage rack that came with the bike.Do they still sell them or make them after all these years.And if so how is it fitted to the bike.

Comment

I'll try to take some pictures this weekend and post them . My bags area stock so I don't know if yours are the same . I hope to get the carrier remade out of aluminum.
            Right now it's plastic . It mounts through the tail fairings so if you find one , be prepared to drill . I hope to tear down my kat this winter and do a rebuild , but I think it may wait till next winter . Either way I'll try removing the mount and take some pictures.

Comment

Thanks Rikeran, I ordered a luggage rack from ebay.I think its from a BMW that I hope to midify to fit my Katana 1100.The bags I have on at the moment are the old Krauser Star model with the aliminum frames.I dont want to drill through the tail section so I will try to fit it to the Krauser frames.You can see the bags in me avatar picture.
              Last edited by albion2; 12-30-2009, 12:29 AM. Reason: Had to add more

Comment

I have a really nice set of Givi. it is the wingrack with integrated flashers and 3 hard cases. Installs/uninstalls in under 10 minutes. It is made specific for the 1100 kats. I was told by the dealer that when it was offered in 1993, it was like $1500. I offered it up for sale about a year ago, then again about 6 months ago, but anyone who seemed eager to find one didn't find my offer good enough, I guess. I was only asking $400, which is a frickin' steal for quality luggages like that. I am betting it is at least a grand for all of it new....at least here anyway.

now....I would not sell it even for $600. Like they say...you snooze, you lose. guess it is just cheaper to buy old used stuff off of ebay and try to make it fit

Last edited by Mojoe; 12-30-2009, 09:03 PM.
                I don't have a short temper. I just have a quick reaction to bullshit.

Comment

Mojoe I must admit I like your bags.

But I like my Factory set better .... ha ha (just picking). they look good .

Comment

Originally posted by rikeran View Post
                    Mojoe I must admit I like your bags.

But I like my Factory set better .... ha ha (just picking). they look good .
                    It's perfectly ok if you like yours better. it just means they are that much more valuable to you, which is a good thing.

I had a chance to test out how tough the givi bags are. about ...umm, Idk, maybe 10-12 years ago my ex didn't snap it in place solid enough so it locked to the rack and I forget to double check. I lost that bag at about 60mph or so. it bounced and slid down the road and down over a bank. It didn't open up. scuffed the crap outta it though. I picked up another used bag that came with the top rack only. I think I might still have that half-rack, somewhere.

the ONLY thing I don't like about my set.....it is supposed to be a mono-key, as in one ket fits all. I need 3 keys. 1 for the bag I replaced, and one of the original ones had a different lock. so what sucks is that when I want to remove them, I have to go through the 3 keys to unlock one. murphy's law.....it is always the last key I try.

someday I will get my butt in gear and buy a new set of locks for all of them so I am down to one key again.

Comment

Mojoe- Those bags are f'n fantastic! Seriously, I can't believe nobody snatched them up for $400. Do you have any idea how much just a set of panniers cost these days?!?!?
                      Any and all statements by Loudnlow7484 are merely his own opinions, and not necessarily the opinion of Katriders.com. Anything suggested by him is to be followed at your own risk, and may result in serious injury or death. Responses from this member have previously been attributed to all of the following: depression, insomnia, nausea, suicidal tendencies, and panic. Please consult a mental health professional before reading any post by Loudnlow7484.

Comment

Mojoe when I bought my Krauser liggage they were the best made.Givi didnt even exist back then.I,ve had them on three different bikes I,ve owned.As for the (stab buying old stuff to modify) They were new and cost over $600 back in 1982 and are still going strong.I cant see the point in **** canning them and spending $1000-1500 just to get a rear luggage rack.As Krauser were the main luggage guys for BMW I thought it best to go with a BMW rack.

Comment

Originally posted by loudnlow7484 View Post
                          Mojoe- Those bags are f'n fantastic! Seriously, I can't believe nobody snatched them up for $400. Do you have any idea how much just a set of panniers cost these days?!?!?
                          ya...no sh*t. when I put them up for $400, I purposely put the price on the low side so they would go fast, which would not give me time to think about actually selling them....cuz if I did think it over, I never would have let them go. at the time I didn't have my new kat and wasn't really planning on getting another.

all I can say is that I am happy nobody took me up on my offer.

Originally posted by albion2 View Post
                          Mojoe when I bought my Krauser liggage they were the best made.Givi didnt even exist back then.I,ve had them on three different bikes I,ve owned.As for the (stab buying old stuff to modify) They were new and cost over $600 back in 1982 and are still going strong.I cant see the point in **** canning them and spending $1000-1500 just to get a rear luggage rack.As Krauser were the main luggage guys for BMW I thought it best to go with a BMW rack.
                          I hear ya bud.....if you have a good set that serves the purpose, then no need to worry about buying anything newer. besides, newer doesn't necessarily mean better. I tend to think the older stuff was better quality then the new stuff they put out today.
                          Last edited by Mojoe; 01-05-2010, 01:49 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Comment

I got that rack from ebay for $4.99 + s&h I had to weld a couple of brackets on each side so that it fits onto the Krauser saddlebag frames.Hey even with my cheap mig welder all looks pretty good.I didnt have to drill through any plastic either.

Comment

Working...
                            X