X

signals don't work

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• signals don't work

I went for the first ride of the year today and had a good time but there is one problem, my turn signals don't work. The running lights are lit but they don't blink, the rears don't even light up and the indicators don't light up. If this has happend to anyone else or if anyone has a suggestion let me know. Thanks
    It's a 1990 1100

Originally posted by wfrpalm View Post
    I went for the first ride of the year today and had a good time but there is one problem, my turn signals don't work. The running lights are lit but they don't blink, the rears don't even light up and the indicators don't light up. If this has happend to anyone else or if anyone has a suggestion let me know. Thanks
    It's a 1990 1100
    Sounds like a problem with the switch.

If you can unplug the end of the wiring harness with the connector, you can do a continuity check to make sure that the switch is still working like it should be. If the switch is working as it should, switching the right signal on should create continuity between the light blue and light green wires, and switching the left signal on should create continuity between the light blue and black wires.
    Nick www.naskie18.com Googletalk: naskie18 AIM: naskie18

Comment

I didn't check it yet but that is what I'm thinking also. Do you know what to look for if I take the housing apart?

Comment

Originally posted by wfrpalm View Post
        I didn't check it yet but that is what I'm thinking also. Do you know what to look for if I take the housing apart?
        If you take the housing apart, you'll be able to test it right at the switch itself, although you might be able to get to the end of the wiring by just removing the fairing rather than taking the switch apart, I'm not sure.

If you take the switch apart, there's two fairly long phillips head bolts on the bottom of it, pull those out and you'll be able to open it up. To get to the turn signal switch portion, you'll have to remove a couple more phillips head bolts, and pull off the plastic plate that you see when you've opened the housing. Under there you'll have access to the contacts on the switch, so you could test for continuity there if you wanted to.

Probably easier to find the end of the wiring harness and do it there, though, only piece(s) that you'd have to remove is (are) fairings, should be more simple to remove and put back together
        Nick www.naskie18.com Googletalk: naskie18 AIM: naskie18

Comment

Thanks for getting back that sounds like it will help me.I am probably going to take the housing apart because I am going to have to fix it anyway.

Comment

Working...
          X