X

Tire - again

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tire - again

1. Have searched, but no definitive answer for the Big Kat (mostly for its siblings) - will a 160/80/15 fit safely (to get more to choose from/bigger diameter) - Any disadvantages if it fit (more "sluggish cornering?)? (Sorry, I got the feeling this has been answered a lot of times before)

2. What brand produces Sport Touring tires with good wet road performance and good mileage in a suitable size (those rims are a pia to find tires for) - what models?

3. I'm no knee-dragger, but I like to hear the foot pegs against the asphalt in tight corners

4. I don't drag-race

I know this is a n00b question, but since I'm a n00b - what do you expect?
    Anyone have a suggestion? (been searching the websites of most MC-brand tire manufacturers - and the choice of 16" sport touring tires is almost non-existing)
    I know many have done a 17" wheel-swap - but I've not come across a set of suitable rims - and I "want" to keep the original wheels.

Comment

If you mean a 160/60-16 dont do it.I wasnt going to respond to this until I saw one in the garage I had on my Kat and remembered how hard and stiff side to side transitions were.The stock size works best on this bike being as long and heavy as they are at least until you do a rim swap.

Comment

1: Ok Thanks - Witch brands makes the best tires for stock dimension?
        2: What donor-bike should I be looking for for the best/easiest wheel-swap?

Comment

Originally posted by SchOX View Post
          2: What donor-bike should I be looking for for the best/easiest wheel-swap?
          I can field the first one ...

I'm running these on my BigKat and I'm liking them very much. They stick well, stable at speeds that may fracture a legal limit or two, and it looks like I'm going to get decent mileage from them ....... What else is there ?

I'm still working on the other one myself. I'm told early model gixxers and b12's, among a couple others, are the front runners. I think going that direction would require a swingarm change as well.
          The people who think they know everything always mess it up for those of us who do .....

BIGKAT1100

Comment

Originally posted by BIGKAT1100 View Post

I'm still working on the other one myself. I'm told early model gixxers and b12's, among a couple others, are the front runners. I think going that direction would require a swingarm change as well.
            What is the distance between the forks on your swinger, inside to inside?

Krey
            93 750 Kat

Modified Swingarm, 5.5 GSXR Rear with 180/55 and 520 Chain, 750 to 600 Tail conversion, more to come. Long Term Project build thread http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=96736

"I've done this a thousand times before. What could possibly go wron.... Ooops!"

Comment

Originally posted by SchOX View Post
              I'm running this rear right now and its one of the best so far.

and the OE front metzler laser. i cant complain,it make me feel secure even when i do touch down.

although i've always wanted to switch to radials,but im a bit unsure how they would be.anybody ever try them?
              Last edited by Katana1100; 05-13-2009, 07:58 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
              WOW! your bikes really fast! you were flying when i passed you!

xbox live= katana11
              We Will Always remember!
              sigpic

Comment

Bigkatt1100, if you can get me the measurments of your swinger inside to inside I could let you know if you need to swap it to fit the wheels.

Krey
                93 750 Kat

Modified Swingarm, 5.5 GSXR Rear with 180/55 and 520 Chain, 750 to 600 Tail conversion, more to come. Long Term Project build thread http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=96736

"I've done this a thousand times before. What could possibly go wron.... Ooops!"

Comment

Originally posted by Kreylyn View Post
                  Bigkatt1100, if you can get me the measurments of your swinger inside to inside I could let you know if you need to swap it to fit the wheels.

Krey
                  I've measured that before and did not get a chance to do it again this weekend. I may be mistaken, but I think there was enough room to get a 5 in rim in there. There was another issue, it seemed like the chain would be in the way. Honestly, when I "counted the cost" of this mod, I would have to talk to someone that did it first to see what the handling traits wound up being before I took that mod on.
                  Last edited by BIGKAT1100; 05-18-2009, 07:57 PM.
                  The people who think they know everything always mess it up for those of us who do .....

BIGKAT1100

Comment

Working...
                  X