X

Gas mileage ???? 19 mpg? Kat 1100 89

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Gas mileage ???? 19 mpg? Kat 1100 89

Took a ride this weekend accross aligator alley - 114 miles straight and flat. Ran between 85 and 95 on a topped up tank and ran out of gas before I got to the first gas station -

I calculated less than 20 mpg - something wrong with this gus sucker?

any idea what could be going wrong (and no the choke was not left on)?

Stuck floater guage? What kind of exhaust do you have? They can lower (not that much though) your MPG...
    ハイどーぞバカ外人!

03 Suzuki Intruder Volusia, 95 Kat 750, 06 Kat 750, 01 Yamaha R6, 96 Suzuki Bandit 750 (Jspec), 04 GSXR 1000, 06 Honda CBR1000RR

メイクショップ 神谷 (2013)
    チームのパドック松田 (2014)

US Marine veteran
    Semper Fi

Comment

wowza! I've been getting around 40 mpg on my 88, that's occasionally hitting 100+ mph.

I'm sure some fine people will be on here momentarily to help you out, as I don't know too much about carbs!

Comment

Don't know anything about your bike. Mod's? Jet kit? K&N pods? Aftermarket exhaust?

Comment

sorry about the lack of details:

Yosh 4:1
          Stage 1 jet kit
          stock chain, sprockets, tires, and filter

It is a 1989 with 30k miles - motor has never been opened up.

Thanks for hints/ideas

Comment

Originally posted by Swamplizard View Post
            sorry about the lack of details:

Yosh 4:1
            Stage 1 jet kit
            stock chain, sprockets, tires, and filter

It is a 1989 with 30k miles - motor has never been opened up.

Thanks for hints/ideas
            I am running a similar set-up except for the chain sprockets but add a 5* advancer. That wouldn't make any difference if you didn't change the gearing. I get mid-upper 30s to low 40s mpg and I may need plugs. I would start at the vacuum hoses. Then move on to the coils, wires and plugs.

How was her performance during your trip ?

How old was the gas you had in her ?

... just my .02, keep us posted as to what you find out.
            The people who think they know everything always mess it up for those of us who do .....

BIGKAT1100

Comment

Yeah that's bad even for an 1100. Heavy on the throttle or just freeway cruising? My 636 only gets about 30 if I'm blasting around town.
              90% of motorcycle forum members do not have a service manual for their bike.

Originally posted by Badfaerie
              I love how the most ignorant people I have met are the ones that fling the word "ignorant" around like it's an insult, or poo. Maybe they think it means poo
              Originally posted by soulless kaos
              but personaly I dont see a point in a 1000 you can get the same power from a properly tuned 600 with less weight and better handeling.

Comment

new gas
                ran fine though it has been wierd at idle lately ...popping sound like it is missing on one cyl

I'll check hoses and plugs

Comment

Yes, change your plugs. It's a start.

Comment

The people who think they know everything always mess it up for those of us who do .....

BIGKAT1100

Comment

how big of a difference could a vacuum hose make? i have a 600 but the one on the bottom of my air box is off and i was 2 lazy to pull everything back out and connect it... and i have only been getting about 30mpg if i take it easy
                      Do The Chicken Dance

Comment

That hose being off will cause a lean burn. Don't know how much though.

Comment

Originally posted by katanafreak93 View Post
                          That hose being off will cause a lean burn. Don't know how much though.
                          well i think it was a little on the rich side to begin with, so it probably helped it.... idiots screwed up my jet kit, then wanted to charge me to fix it....
                          Do The Chicken Dance

Comment

I've had a bout of atrocious mileage on Suzi once...pulled apart the carbs and found this!:

It ran much better, and with much improved fuel efficiency, once all the main jets were secured.

This "set up" netted under 10 mpg.
                            93 1100....big kitty!

Check out the hook while my DJ revolves it...

Comment

Yikes! How many of the main jets were loose? I'm surprised the bike even ran, your gas probably was getting blown out the exhaust!

Comment

Working...
                              X