Carb ajustment

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Carb ajustment

Hi

I'm sure this question has been answered a million times already, but since I don't know the name of the parts/components, I do not know what to search for...

There are one screw on the bottom of each carb that has to be ajusted (see image) - I believe that you should screw them all the way inn, and then ajust in by turning a spessified number of turns out.

How many turns?

Some data witch may or may not influence the ajustment:
    California 1100 without the california extra's connected.
    Stock jet's
    K&N airfilter - with "stock setting" restrictor (I'f it is usefull, I can put in the performance restrictor)
    Aftermarket 4-2-1 performance exhaust
    Stock ignition
    Last edited by SchOX; 04-05-2009, 06:54 AM. Reason: Image link broke...

I know that this probably doesn't help too much in your current quest, but I don't see the image you're referring to.
    Nick www.naskie18.com Googletalk: naskie18 AIM: naskie18

Comment

Originally posted by SchOX View Post
      Hi

I'm sure this question has been answered a million times already, but since I don't know the name of the parts/components, I do not know what to search for...

There are one screw on the bottom of each carb that has to be ajusted (see image) - I believe that you should screw them all the way inn, and then ajust in by turning a spessified number of turns out.

How many turns?

Some data witch may or may not influence the ajustment:
      California 1100 without the california extra's connected.
      Stock jet's
      K&N airfilter - with "stock setting" restrictor (I'f it is usefull, I can put in the performance restrictor)
      Aftermarket 4-2-1 performance exhaust
      Stock ignition
      That is a tough one to answer. You have a K&N with a after market exhaust. Right there tells me you are running on the lean side. All I can say is get a jet kit and follow the instructions. If you ditch either modification, you still need to re-jet. If you go back to complete stock, factory exhaust and air box, you will be fine. Unless there is a difference with the 1100's.

Comment

Originally posted by naskie18 View Post
        I know that this probably doesn't help too much in your current quest, but I don't see the image you're referring to.
        Do you see it now? - post edited, I do not know where the image had gone..

Originally posted by katanafreak93 View Post
        That is a tough one to answer. You have a K&N with a after market exhaust. Right there tells me you are running on the lean side. All I can say is get a jet kit and follow the instructions. If you ditch either modification, you still need to re-jet. If you go back to complete stock, factory exhaust and air box, you will be fine. Unless there is a difference with the 1100's.
        OK, will get new jet's (I'm waiting for some that a member on KR offered to send me at convenience) - but how do I adjust until new jet's arrive?

Stock exhaust and stock air filter is not an option atm.

Comment

those screws are the idle mixture screws, past 1800 rpm they serve no purpose.
          Do you have a problem with the bike idiling?

if that picture is your carbs, someone has been in them as the screws are plugged from the factory for california bikes

More Importantly
          how does the bike run?
          what does it do and at what rpm does it do it?
          what do your spark plugs look like?

are the carbs stock?, how do you know?
          what is the number of the main jets ?
          what is the number of the needles?
          what air pilot jets does it have?
          all of these could have the right numbers, but could of been drilled out!!!!
          have they been sycronized ?
          Last edited by KYOTE1; 04-05-2009, 07:14 AM. Reason: detail
          1988 Katana 1100 (sold)
          2004 Hayabusa

Comment

Originally posted by KYOTE1 View Post
            those screws are the idle mixture screws, past 1800 rpm they serve no purpose

More Importantly
            how does the bike run?
            what does it do and at what rpm does it do it?
            what do your spark plugs look like?

are the carbs stock?
            what mains jets does it have in it?
            what needles does it have?
            what air pilot jets does it have?
            have they been sycronized ?
            OK, what setting shall the idle mixture screws be set?

The carbs has been fitted with new gaskets and new needle valves (it overflowed).
            The bike does not run cause the carbs are not mounted - syncronizing will be done after the carbs are back on the bike - I just need the basic setting on those idle mix screws before i sync the carbs.

The carb's are stock 92 california 1100f carbs - stock main jets, stock needles, stock air pilot jets.

(The reason for K&N airfilter is difficulty getting hold of a stock, the reason for the aftermarket exhaust is rust on the original - so stock is not an option atm.)

if that picture is your carbs, someone has been in them as the screws are plugged from the factory for california bikes
            It's my carbs, and someone has been in them (previous owner, I suppose).
            Last edited by SchOX; 04-05-2009, 07:24 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Comment

Since I now know the name of the screw (air mixture screw) I did some searching here, but only find settings for 600 and 750, but both are recommended at 2 1/2 turns - can I start with this setting, and increase if it backfires on slowing down?

Comment

OK, same carbs as the pre750! 2 1/2 turns is a good starting point. unless you have a dyno the air filter will be a bit of a battle to tune the carbs.
                all you really need to do it go 2 sizes up on the main jets! I reccomend setting the floats at 14mm to start.
                TDA Racing/Motorsports
                1982 Honda CB750 Nighthawk, 1978 Suzuki GS750 1986 Honda CBR600 Hurricane; 1978 Suzuki GS1100E; 1982 Honda CB750F supersport, 1993 Suzuki Katana GSX750FP. 1981 Suzuki GS1100E (heavily Modified) http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=94258
                Who knows what is next?
                Builder of the KOTM Mreedohio september winning chrome project. I consider this one to be one of my bikes also!
                Please look at this build! http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=91192

Comment

The dude is also in Norway. Aren't their carbs set different?
                  Just did some research. 2.5 turns out. Thaz nailed it.
                  Last edited by Kfreak; 04-05-2009, 03:48 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by katanafreak93 View Post
                    The dude is also in Norway. Aren't their carbs set different?
                    I'm in Norway - witch other dude is in Norway?
                    The European GSX1100F might be set up differently, but my Kat is not a European F, it's a US/Cali Kat.

2,5 turns set up, ready for sync.

Comment

there was three setup for our bikes
                      california
                      rest of us
                      UK and canada.

Guess what setup had least performance? yep you guessed the Californias (strict emissions).
                      The Uk and Canada bikes had the best and where quicker, You should change the jets and needles to that spec (i have that breakdown somewhere).

Your bike will really wake up once you do that especially if you have the 4 into 1.
                      1988 Katana 1100 (sold)
                      2004 Hayabusa

Comment

Guess what setup had least performance? yep you guessed the Californias (strict emissions).
                        The Uk and Canada bikes had the best and where quicker, You should change the jets and needles to that spec (i have that breakdown somewhere).
                        Yepp, I know (about the cali being the laziest in the family) - I think I'll go for a factory pro jet kit for next season.

Comment

Factory Pro is a good choice!!
                          TDA Racing/Motorsports
                          1982 Honda CB750 Nighthawk, 1978 Suzuki GS750 1986 Honda CBR600 Hurricane; 1978 Suzuki GS1100E; 1982 Honda CB750F supersport, 1993 Suzuki Katana GSX750FP. 1981 Suzuki GS1100E (heavily Modified) http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=94258
                          Who knows what is next?
                          Builder of the KOTM Mreedohio september winning chrome project. I consider this one to be one of my bikes also!
                          Please look at this build! http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=91192

Comment

Working...
                          X