X

back fire on decel 88 kat 1100

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• back fire on decel 88 kat 1100

I just put on a v&h ssr 4to1 pipe and notice popping on decelaration. Before with the stock exhaust others I rode with mentioned sometimes they would hear popping, I never did. Now with the new pipe I can hear it.

Any thoughts out there to eliminate it?

I also just put in a stage 1 kit from dynojet and the popping is the same.
    Also running K and N filter and 5 deg ignition advance. WOW its a snappy bike now.
    1988 Katana 1100 (sold)
    2004 Hayabusa

You mean like backfire or you can just hear the engine brakeing a lot more? If you think it's loud with the v&h wait till you hear it with a D&D
    Let's go riding!

Comment

Turn out fuel screws(rich)1/2 turn at a time to get rid of popping.They are set too lean now especially with the mods you have.

Comment

Sounds like the same setup ive got on mine and mine pops on decel to.
        Ride within your limits. Not sombody elses.

sigpic
        88 GSX1100F Kat

Comment

Originally posted by KYOTE1 View Post
          I just put on a v&h ssr 4to1 pipe and notice popping on decelaration. Before with the stock exhaust others I rode with mentioned sometimes they would hear popping, I never did. Now with the new pipe I can hear it.

Also running K and N filter and 5 deg ignition advance. WOW its a snappy bike now.
          You have the same set-up I'm running except you're using V&H exhaust. My exhaust system is Yoshimura headers mated to a Muzzy cannister. Your BigKat is even the same year as mine. Here's what I have learned about the "popping". IMHO, I think that it's caused by the timing advancer. The advancer was the last mod, and I noticed that when I installed it that's when the "popping" on decelaration started.

Not meaning to jack your thread but my question is about the advancer and how much does it effect gas milage on other Kat ? It's not a real concern just curious is all.
          The people who think they know everything always mess it up for those of us who do .....

BIGKAT1100

Comment

Originally posted by suzy1052 View Post
            Turn out fuel screws(rich)1/2 turn at a time to get rid of popping.They are set too lean now especially with the mods you have.

they were set to the dynojet recommendations of 2 1/4 turns out, go even more
            1988 Katana 1100 (sold)
            2004 Hayabusa

Comment

Yep.Make sure your new pipe is not leaking at the manifold too.
              Last edited by suzy1052; 04-02-2009, 05:47 PM.

Comment

Summary
                I have messed with the idle screws, sync'd the carbs and replaced the exhaust gaskets (very much needed). The popping (not backfiring) still exists and is fine with me. As others have said it is probably due to the 5 deg advance.

One think to note:
                With all I have done the bike is snappy when you haul on it, the front end gets light and really compresses the rear end. (next project rebuild the rear shock).

I have heard bad thinks about the dynojet kits that I can not vouch for. Sorry too all those who had problems. I believe its because I have the Canadian / UK carb setup that had differant needles, main, and pilot jets.

I am happy with the new performance. Oh yea need to run higher octane gas with the 5 deg advance, also helps.
                Last edited by KYOTE1; 04-19-2009, 10:15 AM. Reason: spell
                1988 Katana 1100 (sold)
                2004 Hayabusa

Comment

I have heard bad thinks about the dynojet kits that I can not vouch for. Sorry too all those who had problems.
                  Same here.
                  90% of motorcycle forum members do not have a service manual for their bike.

Originally posted by Badfaerie
                  I love how the most ignorant people I have met are the ones that fling the word "ignorant" around like it's an insult, or poo. Maybe they think it means poo
                  Originally posted by soulless kaos
                  but personaly I dont see a point in a 1000 you can get the same power from a properly tuned 600 with less weight and better handeling.

Comment

My set up was almost the same except i have the factory pro stage 1 carb kit.SS2r pipe,K&N replacement filter,and V&H advancer.I had some popping untill I Raised the needles 1 step over recomended,that made a huge difference

Originally posted by BIGKAT1100 View Post
                    You have the same set-up I'm running except you're using V&H exhaust. My exhaust system is Yoshimura headers mated to a Muzzy cannister. Your BigKat is even the same year as mine. Here's what I have learned about the "popping". IMHO, I think that it's caused by the timing advancer. The advancer was the last mod, and I noticed that when I installed it that's when the "popping" on decelaration started.

Not meaning to jack your thread but my question is about the advancer and how much does it effect gas milage on other Kat ? It's not a real concern just curious is all.
                    to continue not jacking the thread
                    How does that Yoshomuzzy pipe sound? I have the competition baffle in my ss2r but i was thinking of getting a micron,only cause i can get it in purple
                    Last edited by Katana1100; 04-19-2009, 08:05 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
                    WOW! your bikes really fast! you were flying when i passed you!

xbox live= katana11
                    We Will Always remember!
                    sigpic

Comment

Working...
                    X