X

I may need a starter

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I may need a starter

I think that I need my starter rebuilt or may need a new starter for my 1991 Kat 1100. Does anybody have a used starter or know of a place that can rebuild them?

Do it yourself. Find a local electric motor repair shop to get parts. More than likely, it just needs new brushes. Possibly a new armature as well which is just a plug n play part.
    If you don't think you can do it yourself, any elec motor repair shop will.
    It would't be any fun if it was easy! BUT, it does have to be this much fun!!

Comment

Originally posted by SuzukiJoeDirt View Post
      I think that I need my starter rebuilt or may need a new starter for my 1991 Kat 1100. Does anybody have a used starter or know of a place that can rebuild them?
      Check your boneyards, I had to replace mine about 2 years ago and wound up using a starter from a Gixxer 750. From what I remember, I'm pretty sure it'll just bolt right up . Also, I wound up doing the clutch as well because, for some reason, I had to remove the clutch cover so I scuffed and replaced some of the clutch pads.
      The people who think they know everything always mess it up for those of us who do .....

BIGKAT1100

Comment

Most of the starters are all the same.... you just need to make sure it fits up correctly. Ron Ayers parts cross check should help with that.
        -Steve

sigpic
        Welcome to KatRiders.com! Click here to register
        Don't forget to check the Wiki! http://katriders.com/wiki

Comment

Is the starter frozen? (can you turn it by hand / tool) If it is, than it is probably bearings that are damaged and you would most likely need to go to a salvage yard or eBay for one. But if you can turn it, it more than likely is the brushes or armature as said before. Hope its the latter of the two situations!

Comment

And I got an extra 750 starter layin around somewhere ( I think ) that I'd let go cheap .....
            I am a fluffy lil cuddly lovable bunny , dammit !

Katrider's rally 2011 - md86

Comment

Starter

Originally posted by ansobu View Post
              Is the starter frozen? (can you turn it by hand / tool) If it is, than it is probably bearings that are damaged and you would most likely need to go to a salvage yard or eBay for one. But if you can turn it, it more than likely is the brushes or armature as said before. Hope its the latter of the two situations!
              I haven't pulled the starter yet, but I was going to take it into a electronics shop that does starters of almost any kind. When you press the start button all's that it sounds like is that the starter is spinning. It occasionally catches and then the bike starts at least then anyway. Fuel lines need to be ran properly now so the bike has troubles starting but the starter doesn't want to catch anymore. I had a 81 Honda once that did this but I traded it off before I bothered messing with it

Comment

Yup...sounds like it's the brushes. Cheap fix at around $20.

Comment

SWEETNESS!!!!!!!! That just made things a lot easier!

Comment

SUZUKIJOEDIRT Just read your post.I dont think you need to rebuild the starter.I had the same problem with my 93bought new Katana1100. It was,nt the starter motor.I took the starter motor clutch off and just cleaned the friction ring on it.It had some oil on it and it has to be bone dry.Try to clean it first before you take anything in for repair. Look in the repair manual it explains what to do,good luck.

Comment

If you hear it spinning it isn't your brushes.
                      Must read for carb tuners......http://www.factorypro.com/tech/tech_...m_engines.html

Comment

Originally posted by albion2 View Post
                        SUZUKIJOEDIRT Just read your post.I dont think you need to rebuild the starter.I had the same problem with my 93bought new Katana1100. It was,nt the starter motor.I took the starter motor clutch off and just cleaned the friction ring on it.It had some oil on it and it has to be bone dry.Try to clean it first before you take anything in for repair. Look in the repair manual it explains what to do,good luck.

How is it I go about getting the starter clutch off? I have the cover and just need to get the bolt loosened to take it off but I don't have the "special tool" the haynes manual specified and when ever I go to turn the bolt the entire clutch spins with it and continues to turn over the motor as I do so. And idea how muh the tool costs or is there a way to take it off with out the "special tool"?

Comment

Originally posted by SuzukiJoeDirt View Post
                          How is it I go about getting the starter clutch off? I have the cover and just need to get the bolt loosened to take it off but I don't have the "special tool" the haynes manual specified and when ever I go to turn the bolt the entire clutch spins with it and continues to turn over the motor as I do so. And idea how muh the tool costs or is there a way to take it off with out the "special tool"?
                          two words, impact gun.isn that the stake nut? if so better get a new one.
                          WOW! your bikes really fast! you were flying when i passed you!

xbox live= katana11
                          We Will Always remember!
                          sigpic

Comment

I now exactly what you mean. The "special tool" is a rotor puller. What you do is, take the bolt out, it's on there really tight, you may need an impact for that. Then put a gear puller on the starter clutch gear, tighten it up, wack it with a hammer. repeat until it comes off, which it will. I've done it many, many times that way. No it's not a stake nut, it's a friggin bolt. It has loctite on it, put loctite on it when you put it back on, and the torque spec for that bolt is like 140 ft-lbs
                            Last edited by arsenic; 05-07-2009, 09:36 PM.

Comment

If anyone needs a starter, I have 5 good ones. Call me at 714*356-7845 if you need the part # from the ones I have. All are Katana or GSXR starters. Ray.
                              85GS1150E 83GS1100SD 83GS1100ES 82GS1000SZ 96GSXR1500DRAGBIKE 96GSXR1400DRAGBIKE 90GSXR1166DRAGBIKE 05SDG110PITBIKE & 8 QUADS!!! "Life is tough! It's even tougher when you're stupid!" John Wayne

Comment

Working...
                              X