An idea for a wheel swap!

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• An idea for a wheel swap!

Hey guys,
    Sorry about posting so much in the last few days, I am just excited about riding the big kat. Anyway, I have an idea that I want to run by you guys. It seems that everyone want's to get 17 inch wheels for a better tire selection/bigger rear tire. Well, I was wondering about using the rear wheel and complete front end off of a 1990 zx-10. I have one that I am going to part out and I thought it would be a great swap if it would work. The question I have before I start tearing it apart is... do the kat and the zx-10 have the same stem diameter and overall size (should I be able to bolt up the zx10 forks to the zuki frame)? I don't think the rear will be that much of a problem as I am dealing with a complete bike and have all parts to use...

Just running the idea by you guys... who knows it just may work.

I think if you use the fork tubes (if they measure out right) that would bring the wheel and frame together beautifully.

Just to be asking, How would you rate the power and ridability comparing the "BigKat" and the "Elder" Ninja ?
    The people who think they know everything always mess it up for those of us who do .....

BIGKAT1100

Comment

Coletrain, you've got 12 posts so far, you ain't anywhere NEAR some of the post whores here. So post away!

Other than that....

Chris

Originally posted by jetmerritt
      Save up for great gear and dress for the fall before you ride. If you can't afford good quality gear, don't ride. It's like saying you can't afford seat belts for your car. There are just no laws to make gear mandatory.

Comment

Originally posted by trackerrrr View Post
        coletrain, you've got 12 posts so far, you ain't anywhere near some of the post whores here. So post away!

Other than that....

hey, hey .... I resemble that remark
        <
        <
        < 3431 and counting
        <
        Last edited by BIGKAT1100; 03-20-2009, 07:41 PM.
        The people who think they know everything always mess it up for those of us who do .....

BIGKAT1100

Comment

Both sets of tubes are 41mm so that is probably what I will try. I was hoping I could just take the hole frontend and swap it (it may work), but either way is fine.

For the rear, what do you guys think about me swapping the rear swingarm and all? What possible problems could crop up other than having spacers machined? I don't mind fabricating brackets, and it would be a cool looking swingarm complete with a 180+ rear tire.``````

As for the comparison between the two bikes I would have to say the Kat is the better bike by far. Now I do have a 1990 zx-11 and it is a very smooth bike. I am in the process of doing lots of body work to it (shaving the huge "wings on the front and rear fairing and some other things), and it will probably end up being a really clean bike.

Comment

If you can slide out the front forks and slide in the zx-10 forks with the new wheel then do it, as for the rear you really should just buy a 17" wheel off eBay from an oil cooled suzuki, they are pretty much a drop in application. There is another thread that goes into way more detail about swapping 17" wheels onto a Kat 1100.
            01 Bandit 1200 engine w/91 GSXR 1100 intake cam 36mm Carbs w/Stage 1 Jet kit/dual pod K&N filters. 90 GSXR 1100 wheels and front brakes. DID 530 chain. 93 GSXR 750 rear shock, Full Yoshimura exhaust system 4 into 1

Comment

For the swingarm:

I think you would have to figure out what to do with the brake torque arm. The rear caliper on the Ninja is mounted at the bottom, and the Katana caliper (IIRC) is mounted at the top.
              90% of motorcycle forum members do not have a service manual for their bike.

Originally posted by Badfaerie
              I love how the most ignorant people I have met are the ones that fling the word "ignorant" around like it's an insult, or poo. Maybe they think it means poo
              Originally posted by soulless kaos
              but personaly I dont see a point in a 1000 you can get the same power from a properly tuned 600 with less weight and better handeling.

Comment

Originally posted by BIGKAT1100 View Post
                hey, hey .... I resemble that remark
                <
                <
                < 3431 and counting
                <
                I could use another worthless post myself, oh im a little PW too!
                WOW! your bikes really fast! you were flying when i passed you!

xbox live= katana11
                We Will Always remember!
                sigpic

Comment

kats have a 17 inch rim stock... thus the 120/70/17 and 170/70/17 tire sizes...... For WIDER tires you need to look at width not diameter.

Comment

The old 1100 came with a 16 inch wheel stock....
                    craig
                    1996 katana 750 (sold to my friend)
                    1990 katana 1100

Comment

maybe I should read which section of the forum im in before i open my mouth

Comment

Originally posted by Edbean View Post
                        maybe I should read which section of the forum im in before i open my mouth

Comment

I have a nice pair of Bandit wheels, with like new Battleax's, axles, and rotors. Make a swap pretty easy.

Comment

Working...
                          X