X

Replacing fork seals

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Replacing fork seals

I need to replace my fork seals and was wondering what all I needed to do the job correctly? Both of the outer dust boots are wasted, have no idea about the actual seal or oil. What all should I get so I have everything needed once I pull the forks? I know I should get the progressive or racetec springs, but I'm low on funds and this bike spends 90% of its time of flat straight interstate. What oil should I use? Thanks for the replies, I'm not a noob at this just like to know what the experienced riders of a certain brand of bike like to use.

You can change the springs at any time..
    Get a good quality oil, unless you think they really need to get stiffer, stick with stock weight oil. I shy from Suzuki oil because in my experience they don't sell it in containers large enough to do both forks, so you have to over buy ..

Other than the dust seal (visible seal) and the oil seal you should get the locking screw crush washers. You might need the bushings, but can't know until you take the forks apart. If it has been leaking a while and you suspect it has been dry chances are the bushings are shot. I have seen forks with tons of miles with good bushings, and some with low miles with shot ones..

Take the forks apart fully and clean everything well, you don't want water or crap spoiling your new oil..

Comment

i just replaced mine not too long ago. The biggest thing that helps out alot is to break loose the top cap while the fork is still in the trees, because trying to break it loose while someone holds the fork is a PITA! i used amsoil synthetic 10w in both my 96 750 and my 90 1100, worked well with both. When u take the fork apart, make sure you keep everything in order when taking the pieces out, because theres a few pieces in each fork.
      craig
      1996 katana 750 (sold to my friend)
      1990 katana 1100

Comment

Thanks for the replies guys...

I suspect it has been dry for a long while (probably all last year). Where is the best place to get the parts from (Bike Bandit, Ron Ayers ???)?

Comment

Working...
        X