X

Shimming Clutch Springs

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Shimming Clutch Springs

Has anyone ever shimmed their clutch springs to increase the clamping force rather than having to buy new, stronger sprngs?

What about using a couple of flat washers on each spring totalling around .060 in thickness per spring?

Just a thought.

Jake

While adding washers will add "preload" to a spring. In this case you have to look out that the added length of the spring allows it to unload right.

Comment

That's an interesting point.

So, if the preload is too high, it would prevent the springs from unloading when the clutch lever is pulled and, as a result, the clutch discs would continue to be engaged, even if only slightly.

This bring up another question. Does anyone know just how much additional pressure a set of aftermarket clutch springs provide?

If I had a ballpark figure on that, I could use my spring pressure tester to see what thickness shims would give me the same result. The alternative would be to do it by trial and error.

Now that I think about it, once I factor in all the labor involved with draining the oil, removing the cover, etc., it might be easier just to bite the bullet and buy a set of aftermarket, stiffer springs.

Thanks for your response.

Jake

Comment

I'm wondering why you are considering this ???
        Renthals & twin spots do not make a streetfighter !

Comment

I've heard of this as a parking lot fix for a slipping clutch to get you home, but if it were me, and I had a built motor that was taxing a fresh stock clutch, I'd look at stiffer springs. If it's a stock motor and this is a solution to a slipping clutch, i'd look at replacing the clutch plates. I don't like bandaid solutions, but your mileage may vary

Comment

Originally posted by tone View Post
            I'm wondering why you are considering this ???
            $$$

Jake

Comment

Springs are not that much. I hear even the Suzuki ones are only $8 for the set..

Comment

What brought it to mind was when I began thinking back on the days when I use to build BB Chevy 8-second quarter mile engines for several teams in the Chicago area. After every 10 passes I'd check the valve springs to see if they were maintaining the 240# seat pressure.

When one or more had fallen off I'd throw a shim under it to restore the pressure. Of course, I was always careful to maintain the minimum clearance between coils, but it worked. Especially on three/four day meets after we towed to, say, Charlotte to compete.

More than one way to skin a cat.

Jake

Comment

Working...
                X