X

snif snif - she finally died I think

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• snif snif - she finally died I think

My 89 Kat 1100 has 27k miles and has been a blast to own for the last 10 years....but alas....I think she is done.

Starts but sputters badly - flames shooting out exhaust and compression test shows low on two cylinders.....have not done a leak down yet - dont have right adapters.

Do I part it out on ebay or try to sell it complete locally as needing work? What will put more coin in the next bike bank account?

It is located in Broward county S Florida

Thanks for advice

I'd get a leak down test done to confirm the compression test... and see if it's easily fixable.
    -Steve

sigpic
    Welcome to KatRiders.com! Click here to register
    Don't forget to check the Wiki! http://katriders.com/wiki

Comment

Originally posted by steves View Post
      I'd get a leak down test done to confirm the compression test... and see if it's easily fixable.

Yeah she may not be as bad off as you think....

But if it is....part it out, may take longer, but you will probably make more money if you can sell it all

I dont have "hobbies" I'm developing a robust Post-Apocalyptic skill set....

http://www.excessivehoppyness.blogspot.com

Comment

if you decide to part her out let me know i could use some parts.

Comment

Hopefully it is not as bad as you think it is

I will keep my fingers crossed for you
          2007 Honda CBR600rr
          2007 Kawasaki Ninja ZX-14

visit the Twisted Assassins
          sigpic

Comment

Put an overbore kit in it. More power, and takes care of your compression issue. About $500 for the kit, find somebody to bore it for you (probably $25 per hole or so, for a total of $100). It's not a bad project, taking the top end off, and you'll have a much stronger engine when you're done. BTW- You can go up to 1216cc from what I've seen on the stock sleeves.
            Any and all statements by Loudnlow7484 are merely his own opinions, and not necessarily the opinion of Katriders.com. Anything suggested by him is to be followed at your own risk, and may result in serious injury or death. Responses from this member have previously been attributed to all of the following: depression, insomnia, nausea, suicidal tendencies, and panic. Please consult a mental health professional before reading any post by Loudnlow7484.

Comment

Nope . Boring seems to be more . Cost me about $200 to have mine bored over 1mm . But I THINK with Wiseco's kit they'll bore it for you cheaper if you send them the cylinder .....
              I am a fluffy lil cuddly lovable bunny , dammit !

Katrider's rally 2011 - md86

Comment

hmmmmmmmmmmmm interesting thought but looking for a change anyway. Picking it up from mechanic this weekend - going to reassemble everything and try to sell it as is - running rough - for $1200. Will see

thanks for ideas though!

Comment

Well, you have a choice. You could part it out if you felt like the hassle of doing that and all that it involves or you could put in a 1186 kit and re-enter the relationship with your bike. Doing the latter, you may like it better than before due to the extra "kick" it will have. I was considering the same procedure for my bike as a deterant for buying another (at least for now).

just my .02
                  Last edited by BIGKAT1100; 10-28-2008, 04:59 PM.
                  The people who think they know everything always mess it up for those of us who do .....

BIGKAT1100

Comment

Originally posted by md86 View Post
                    Nope . Boring seems to be more . Cost me about $200 to have mine bored over 1mm . But I THINK with Wiseco's kit they'll bore it for you cheaper if you send them the cylinder .....
                    It's probably so much cheaper here because we're so close to a couple of race tracks (Sandusky Speedway, and Summit Motorsports Park)..... The guy right around the corner does it for $30 per hole, but they're known to be a little high. $25 per hole at any little backwoods performance shop will get you done around here.
                    Any and all statements by Loudnlow7484 are merely his own opinions, and not necessarily the opinion of Katriders.com. Anything suggested by him is to be followed at your own risk, and may result in serious injury or death. Responses from this member have previously been attributed to all of the following: depression, insomnia, nausea, suicidal tendencies, and panic. Please consult a mental health professional before reading any post by Loudnlow7484.

Comment

well if mine ever decides to go bad I will holler at you and come up there as i'm not the far away loudnlow, doesn't sound like a bad deal....but mines only got 33333 so I should still have a while to go.

Comment

Originally posted by lanceg View Post
                        well if mine ever decides to go bad I will holler at you and come up there as i'm not the far away loudnlow, doesn't sound like a bad deal
                        Where are you from? The shops that are a little ways south of here (norwalk, new london, ashland, etc) seem to generally be the least expensive.... especially in the off season.

Comment

im just south of lexington ky. not that far away

Comment

Uh, yeah...... it's like 5 hours away! I know for a fact that there are places down your way that will do it for similar cash. A quick google search brings me this place in KY charging $130 for a 4 cyl bore..... http://automachperf.com/

Comment

how about an update?

I decided the mechanic was not being straight with me and asked around for any local mechanical riders to give me ideas as to what it could be. A good samaritan stopped by - listened to the motor and decided it was gas problem. We tool off tank and noticed the vacuum hoses which made the fuel petcock work were on wrong and one was cracked. Replaced them and it fired up right away. Ive run 200 miles at speeds up to WOT (about 140mph) and it is running fine again - go figure!

Comment

Working...
                              X