X

Restoring my old Kat

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Restoring my old Kat

For the last couple of weeks I've been working on restoring my old 1988 Katana 1100. Starting to put it back together again now. Almost finished.

Cheers!

Jollidude

P1030298a.JPG

P1030299a.JPG

P1030300a.JPG

P1030307a.JPG

looking good so far. if you need any parts, give me a shout.
    I don't have a short temper. I just have a quick reaction to bullshit.

Comment

Very Nice .... what stage did your restoration start ? Was it a basket case or just in need of 'hardcore lovin' ?
      The people who think they know everything always mess it up for those of us who do .....

BIGKAT1100

Comment

I bought the bike new in 1988. I sold it to my brother in 2005 when I bought my new Bandit 600. Bought it back from him last year. It was in pretty good mechanical shape to begin with, just needed a lot of TLC on the cosmetics. I stripped it to the frame, cleaning off rust and grime as I went. There was a lot of rust on nuts and bolts, and on the frame. I replaced the chain and sprockets, tires, and the windshield. The seat was re-uphostered, the front forks rebuilt (new bushings and seals), and the rear suspension linkages taken apart, cleaned and re-greased. I had bought the bike with the optional Krauser saddlebags and they were in pretty bad shape, but I was able to find a set in good condition on eBay last year. Mechanically the bike was in great shape, but not having a shed or garage to keep it in had taken it's toll on it. It certainly won't be show quality when it's done, but it will look a heck of a lot better and hopefully will last another 20 years. In 1990 I rode this bike across Canada from Halifax, Nova Scotia to Victoria, British Columbia and back through the United States. Six weeks on the road and 15,000 km. There's still a lot of life left in the old girl yet!

Cheers!

Jollidude

PS: Thanks Mojoe, I'll keep it in mind!

Comment

See, when guys like you write stories like that, it encourages me to keep mine and drop "TLC/M" into it.
          The people who think they know everything always mess it up for those of us who do .....

BIGKAT1100

Comment

Working...
          X