Replacement parts

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Replacement parts

Hey all,

I am new to the site, and I'm trying to get myself another bike in addition to my wing....more a screw around bike that goes real fast when I want. My neighbor just bought a Kaw ZX-11, so it has fueled my need for a aditional bike that is more sporty. I've always liked the looks of the 88-93 Katana 1100, so that is what I'm searching for.

I found a 92 w/ 10K miles on it, out of state that needs some minor work and tlc, so I'd be taking the chance of buying it site unseen, and then having it shipped...all for about $1500.

The owner claims it runs good, but needs fuel lines, and the windshield goes up and down, but sticks sometimes. From the bad pictures that were available, it looks like the windshield is cloudy, and the mirrors are gone, but with a couple of replacement parts, and some time tinkering and polishing, it should get back to it's original glory.

What I am wondering is, are there other things I should look at on it if I get it...any problem areas that were common to these bikes?

Also, is there a good place to find replacement body parts for these...or is used now becoming the only option?

Thanks for any help!
    Last edited by wingrider; 07-30-2008, 12:21 PM.

I wouldn't buy that bike sight unseen. Also, why would a bike with 19K miles need "fuel lines"???
    If that bike really has just 10K miles, I bet the lines are fine, but the carbs are gunked up.

Comment

I agree, I don't like buying things site unseen, but currently, I'm about a 1000+ miles away, so popping over to peak at it really isn't an option. I figured if it hadn't been laid down, and it did start and run, that it couldn't be all bad, and I could knock it back into shape.

The only thing I can figure is that it has sat for a while, which made the fuel lines brittle...provided they are rubber on these bikes...I've never had the pleasure of seeing one up close, so I don't know for sure.

If I get it, I had figured on going through everything when it gets here...just to be safe.

Comment

I have a question for you....

1- Where are you located? I ask because I have 4 or 5, 1100 kats , available in my area for decent prices ranging from $2k to $3500.00. Condition vary from good to excellent. As of 5 minutes ago, there are 117 Katanas for sale within 150 miles of me. Most of these are 600 and 750's, and only represent those advertised on one specific classified site. In reality, there could be 3 or 4 times that amount.

as far as common problem with the 1100 kat.....there really isn't any. I am not saying they never have problems, but whatever problems they do have are not usually common problems with the bike itself, but more like problems of neglect by their owners.

for parts....ebay or myself is your best option. I have various parts still available, but am running low. I will be "re-stocking" in the near future.
        Last edited by Mojoe; 07-30-2008, 10:40 AM.
        I don't have a short temper. I just have a quick reaction to bullshit.

Comment

I am located in MN. There are two 1100's in my area...one of which is a red 92 in "mint" condition according to the owner, he's looking to get $3000. The other one I'm not sure is still available, but it was a 93 for $2450...which isn't bad, but I didn't like the colors of it...I'm looking for a black bike if possible.

I am the type of person that likes to take something that has minor (or major) problems and try to make it better. I like project things. My current price range is at max $2000, so there usually has to be something wrong with it for me to afford it.

Comment

Unless it's been repainted I don't think there are any black 1100's. The one you are looking at would likely be in the dark Blue.

Comment

Well, I could certainly be wrong, but weren't there a couple years of them being black that were sent here? Maybe not all black, but the main color was black? This 92 is black with a red stripe. Back in the day of when they were new, I can remember seeing an ad in a magazine of a black and red 1100 sitting next to a plane...if I remember right, it was a SR-71 Blackbird.

My memory isn't as good as it used to be, so I could be wrong on that...but that picture was one of the reasons I wanted one of these bikes.
              Last edited by wingrider; 07-30-2008, 12:38 PM.

Comment

I got my 93 for 2300 with 10K miles. It needed tires and fork seals.
                keep in mind those mirrors are 160-200 apiece, I bought aftermarkets for a newer 600 and they fit with a little modding

Comment

Originally posted by wingrider View Post
                  Well, I could certainly be wrong, but weren't there a couple years of them being black that were sent here? Maybe not all black, but the main color was black? This 92 is black with a red stripe. Back in the day of when they were new, I can remember seeing an ad in a magazine of a black and red 1100 sitting next to a plane...if I remember right, it was a SR-71 Blackbird.

My memory isn't as good as it used to be, so I could be wrong on that...but that picture was one of the reasons I wanted one of these bikes.
                  you are not mistaken....89 had a black model. In fact, I just bought one this one for $800.00
                  I go tomorrow to pick it up. give me $1200 and pay shipping, and it's yours . has 30k miles and runs great. flashers don't work and the tool can't figure out why. I am guessing a $3 or 4.00 relay. it also fell over and one mirror is broke.

Comment

Mojoe,

I'd love to take you up on that deal...she looks pretty darn clean, but I'm guessing that the shipping would put me over the $ amount that I have to spend. I'm guessing crossing the boarder can get a touch tricky these days....not to mention the duty tax...unless you have a way of getting it across the boarder.

Do you have a mirror to throw on it?
                    Last edited by wingrider; 07-30-2008, 08:28 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by wingrider View Post
                      Mojoe,

I'd love to take you up on that deal...she looks pretty darn clean, but I'm guessing that the shipping would put me over the $ amount that I have to spend. I'm guessing crossing the boarder can get a touch tricky these days....not to mention the duty tax.

Do you have a mirror to throw on it?
                      I have 2 mirrors for it. Like I said.....I have quite a bit of 1100 parts. In fact, some on this site have even referred to me as the "guy to talk to" for parts.

as for shipping, it is about $5-600. You are 1300 miles from me, using St Paul as my point of reference.

as far as crossing the border.....that is a piece of cake. I have sold 3 bikes to US residents, and none had any trouble crossing over except for one member on here who bought an 82 1100 kat from me. They dicked him around at customs cuz the speedo was in kms instead of miles. They actually had no right to do that, so I was informed, as it is not their position. It is up to your state DMV to regulate this when you have it inspected for registration. I even have an american speedo in mph only. I also have a dual speedo....it shows both kph and mph.

I think the guy who bought the 82 kat was from Michigan, but I am also thinking Washington. I think he said it took him about 48hrs of traveling altogether.

If you were ever to consider buying a bike in Canada, I would not sell you this one....unless it was something you really wanted. I would first suggest you take a look at some of the others I have on my "to buy" list. There are a couple of mint bikes for about $2k.
                      Last edited by Mojoe; 07-30-2008, 09:23 PM.

Comment

Mojoe, I pm'd you...

Comment

got it!

Comment

Originally posted by vcrmax View Post
                            Unless it's been repainted I don't think there are any black 1100's. The one you are looking at would likely be in the dark Blue.
                            My 93 is black, there were at least 3 plack paint schemes over the years

Comment

Yes I have been corrected. I never saw a black one before. Not that many of them out here.

Comment

Working...
                              X