X

'86 GSXR 1100 as investment?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• '86 GSXR 1100 as investment?

Hey there y'all. I'm lookin at possibly pickin up a 1986 GSXR 1100. She's got about 20k on her, and is pretty grubby/icky. mid 20's kid owner that just rides it, instead of taking care of it. He's had it just maybe 2 seasons, but the amount of greasy dirty crud is something. I wonder if he ever even gave it a bath. At this point i know the brakes need going thru, cleaning, fluids, pads, etc. Tires, prolly chain and sprockets, Chain for sure. Prolly fork seals given he's a looner, but no visable major leakage on the forks. One can assume the plugs aint been changed, carb cleaned, air filter changed, oil changed, valves adjusted in forever. he dropped it slow speed and cracked up the left side front bodywork, but that's just cosmetic. general young kid stupid. I havent heard it run yet at this point, but i'm told it's still pretty darn skerry/snappy quick.

I am lookin for opinions on value, as is, all grubby/icky sad lookin, and if she was all clean and pretty with fresh paint and maint done. I know I havn't seen any of these listed for sale in the MN area on Craigs List, and am not sure how rare they are to start with. BTW, the Haynes i saw on this thing leads me to think it's screw type valve adjustors, vs shims. Is this true?

Thanks for your 2 cents.

99% of the questions asked here can be answered by a 2 minute search in the service manual. Get a service manual, USE IT.
    1990 Suzuki GSX750F Katana
    '53 Ford F250 pickumuptruck
    Lookin for a new Enduro project

Hey Dumbluck,

I have no special knowledge or background to give you a knowledgeable recommention about the "GSXR 1100 as an investment". However, I've recently acquired an abused and neglected bike, and after thinking about it for awhile, I've decided to save a GSX 1100 from the motorcycle graveyard.

I'm sure that you're aware that such a commitment may strain your wallet and mental health. Nevertheless, if you have the time, resources, and patience, go for it. My resources are minimal, but I have lots of time and patience. Luckily, I've also found invaluable support and encouragement within this forum.

If the previous owner(s) of my Katana 1100 have a dog, I wouldn't be surprised if it is regularly abused and left unfed.

Comment

Originally posted by [email protected] View Post
      ..... I'm sure that you're aware that such a commitment may strain your wallet and mental health. Nevertheless, if you have the time, resources, and patience, go for it. My resources are minimal, but I have lots of time and patience. Luckily, I've also found invaluable support and encouragement within this forum.

If the previous owner(s) of my Katana 1100 have a dog, I wouldn't be surprised if it is regularly abused and left unfed.
      If you got the patience, it would be an interesting project. Examine it good though because, as previously mentioned, sum projects can get long in the pocket. Thw word to the wise is "Pick your battles". The fact that you say that it running is good but should not lock up the deal. Just be aware that buying a sportbike lemon can really put you in a world of hurt.
      The people who think they know everything always mess it up for those of us who do .....

BIGKAT1100

Comment

Big Kats of that era seem to bring about $2000 tops- sounds like you have about a grand of repairs to do, so do the math.
        "Stevie B" Boudreaux

I ride: '01 Triumph Sprint ST

Projects: Honda CB650 Bobber projects I, II and III

Take care of: 81 Honda CM400,72 Suzuki GT550

Watch over/advise on: 84 Honda Nighthawk 700S (now my son's bike)

For sale, or soon to be: 89 Katana 1100, 84 Honda V45 Magna, 95 Yamaha SECA II, 99 GSXR600, 95 ZX-6, 84 Kaw. KZ700, 01 Bandit 1200, 74 CB360.

Comment

thanks. I'm not afraid of the work, or time. Just about every one of my Toys has been a "rescue". The Baby Kawi that lead to me getting my Kat, didnt have a top end, and the crankcase needed to be cleaned out with a spoon. Only good working part was the seat. My Kat cost me $100 cash and a CDI for a GS550, total of $186. That may give you a hint as to it's condition when i picked it up.

My problem is not knowing resale values on the classic old sport bikes like this one. I was guessing close to a grand in parts. I think my best bet is to wait him out as the bike aint goin anywhere anytime soon, and I doubt anyone would really be willing to give him what he's askin right now as is.

As far as resale, what's the worst that can happen? I wind up with another classic old toy? terrible i tells ya, just terrible
          Last edited by DumbLuck; 06-08-2008, 02:10 AM.
          99% of the questions asked here can be answered by a 2 minute search in the service manual. Get a service manual, USE IT.

Comment

just don't expect the gsx-r to be much quicker, faster or scarier than the 1100 kat, cuz it really isn't.

the 86 gixxer is a 1052cc G model with 34mm carbs. rear tire hp is only 115hp, and 105 Nm @ 8000 rpm of torque.

where as the 1100 kat with the 1127 has 130hp at the rear tire, and 112 Nm @ 7000 rpm.

so if you presently own an 1100 kat and expect to get more out of the gixxer.....well, you will be disappointed. However, it is still a nice bike. not as sought after though as the models with the 1127 engine.

if you paid a grand for it, you would have to invest a fair amount just to get $2k-2500 for it. imho, that bike is worth more parting out than trying to restore it and make a profit.
            if your intentions are to keep it, then it is a fairly good deal.
            Last edited by Mojoe; 06-08-2008, 05:27 PM.
            I don't have a short temper. I just have a quick reaction to bullshit.

Comment

you will probably find more interest over on OldSkoolSuzuki concerning that bike, i'm running a *******ised minimalist 750/1127cc slabby fighter which i'm finding great fun to play on
              it ain't broke ....

i ain't fixed it enough

Comment

thanks. i got the impression a grand would be top as far as value as she sits all grubby, dirty, no maint, with plenty of needs.

How about the valves, anyone know if they're screw or shim type adjustment?

thanks

FYI: i have absolutely no intentions of giving up my '90 750 Kat as my main ride.

Comment

Buying a bike just to sell doesn't make since to me.

Good luck with it.
                  I don't know how fast my bike goes, I've never stopped to find out.

Comment

we find the barn queens, the neglected, the abused, and the ones hid inna weeds. Resurect and restore them, and peddle um for a tidy profit. what's not to understand about that?

Comment

I believe you are correct, they are screw type adjusters. Kind of a rare bike. I know a guy who bought one just as a collectors item....... but it had like 800 original miles on it, and is in pristine condition. I think the 750's might actually be more desirable. At any rate...... I sold my 86 750 for $800, and it wasn't in real bad shape. Kinda rashed, but solid mechanically. I'd give $800 for it.
                      Any and all statements by Loudnlow7484 are merely his own opinions, and not necessarily the opinion of Katriders.com. Anything suggested by him is to be followed at your own risk, and may result in serious injury or death. Responses from this member have previously been attributed to all of the following: depression, insomnia, nausea, suicidal tendencies, and panic. Please consult a mental health professional before reading any post by Loudnlow7484.

Comment

Originally posted by DumbLuck View Post
                        we find the barn queens, the neglected, the abused, and the ones hid inna weeds. Resurect and restore them, and peddle um for a tidy profit. what's not to understand about that?

Yes we do.

Buy a bike to fix up & ride, if that is what's needed, not sell.

Guess that's just me.
                        Last edited by GSX1100FL; 06-11-2008, 02:06 AM.
                        I don't know how fast my bike goes, I've never stopped to find out.

Comment

Working...
                        X