X

Thanks to Mojoe!!!

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Thanks to Mojoe!!!

I just spent the last two weekends working on the exhausts that Mojoe brought me.

A tiny bit of sanding and painted them (3 coats) last weekend, and just installed them today (with a bit of swearing as this is my first time).

Tried a few ways, and figures the best way was to get the central pipes in first (attached to the engine). Then get the mufflers on. Then attache the two side pipes.

I did put everything together first to make sure that all the parts would fit easily.

Overall, for a novice I fell all proud to have gotten it done (with the help from the neighbor, my daughter and my wife).

The worse part; 2 bolts were completely seized - ended up stripped (from the old pipes). Had to saw the pipes out of the way so we could get some vise-grips and finally get them out.

The second bad part was that I got this finished, the rain began, so haven't had a chance to "cook" the paint on yet. (and I covered her up) That's going to be tomorrow's plan I hope.

So thanks Mojoe, they look great, and once painted, they looked new.

I started the bike for a moment and it just felt great to have decent "noise/sound" coming from her. And the gaskets were like new (as for as I know)

So I'm going to run her a little bit then recheck all bolts to make sure that everything is nice and thight.
    JPG
    1988 GSX 1100F

sigpic

A Fine is a Tax you pay for doing wrong!
    A Tax is a Fine you pay for doing well!

http://s169.photobucket.com/albums/u214/Chuckwick357/

Comment

Originally posted by imfallen_angel View Post
      I just spent the last two weekends working on the exhausts that Mojoe brought me.

A tiny bit of sanding and painted them (3 coats) last weekend, and just installed them today (with a bit of swearing as this is my first time).

Tried a few ways, and figures the best way was to get the central pipes in first (attached to the engine). Then get the mufflers on. Then attache the two side pipes.

I did put everything together first to make sure that all the parts would fit easily.

Overall, for a novice I fell all proud to have gotten it done (with the help from the neighbor, my daughter and my wife).

The worse part; 2 bolts were completely seized - ended up stripped (from the old pipes). Had to saw the pipes out of the way so we could get some vise-grips and finally get them out.

The second bad part was that I got this finished, the rain began, so haven't had a chance to "cook" the paint on yet. (and I covered her up) That's going to be tomorrow's plan I hope.

So thanks Mojoe, they look great, and once painted, they looked new.

I started the bike for a moment and it just felt great to have decent "noise/sound" coming from her. And the gaskets were like new (as for as I know)

So I'm going to run her a little bit then recheck all bolts to make sure that everything is nice and thight.
      What kind of paint did you use? I was under the impression that exhausts needed to be powder coated and not painted. If they can be painted, then that's another mod I need to do to my Kat.
      -
      -

I poured spot remover on my dog. Now he's gone.

Comment

Paint used

I'll check tonight what it's called.(brand)

My wife picked it up at the local Canadian Tire.

It's a can of spray paint for exhaust system.(pipes)

Black-mat, sprays on really easily, dries within moments and ready for another coat.

I did mine during a full day. Sprayed it and waited about an hour before I resprayed it. I kept doing this until the can was empty (I had a spare one, as we didn't know if one can would have been enough).

I managed a good solid three coats, plus the fact that I got some areas soaked and dripping to get into the crevices, but the moment it dried, it looked great. Almost a satin finish.

I left them inside the house after the paint was dry for the whole week to make sure it would be completely dry, and there was no smell at all.

The instruction mentions that the paint has to reach 150 degrees to "cook" and harden properly.

I figured a drive of an hour on Sunday did that.

But the paint has almost no smell, and dries really fast. And with the handling during the installation, I feared that I'd scratch it , but I looked it over several time and it didn't look like I did.

The question is ...will it last?

I'll go get some pictures (of course, it's looking like it'll be raining today).
        Last edited by imfallen_angel; 04-28-2008, 09:02 AM.
        JPG
        1988 GSX 1100F

Comment

This is probably like stove paint on steriods... seen it, but thought it wouldn't last like PC would... i.e. you're gonna have to repaint in a few years.
          "Men will get no more out of life than they put into it."

Comment

There are a number of high temperature paints that will work on exhausts. The most common is probably BBQ paint found at almost any home store. It is typically flat black, but I am pretty sure that you can find colored high temp paint as well at auto parts stores. As others said paint will not last as long as powder coat, but it can be a low cost DIY alternative. plus if you do not let it go too long adding a fresh coat will be easy. you do not have to do as much prep work.

Comment

Hey man...glad they worked for you and that you are satisfied. You are very welcome. :
              I don't have a short temper. I just have a quick reaction to bullshit.

Comment

Paint information

All right, I'm now home...

The paint is

Dupli-color

High-Heat (with ceramic)
                649 C
                1200 F

As others mentioned, if it doesn't last more than a couple of years, it's not that bad. Now that I've learned how to remove and put them back, it will be a lot easier next time. What I'll do is take pictures or a video when I do it next time.

I still can't believe the difference it made (having new exhausts)

I did buy the bike used, but I guess there where holes in them already.

The only problem I now have is the idle... it's too low.

I saw in another thread that someone mention a plastic wheel on the side. I believe that I see it easily, but it's not doing anything when I move it (it's sprint loaded and returns to the same spot), and afraid to break something if I was to try too hard.

The manual that was posted and the one I have are in B/W and impossible to see and be sure.

Does anyone have a picture that shows what I'm supposed to "play" with to up the idle?
                Last edited by imfallen_angel; 04-28-2008, 05:15 PM.
                JPG
                1988 GSX 1100F

Comment

yeah, it's that little plastic covered screw head on the left side of the bike running under the carburetors. turn to the right to raise your idle, and left to lessen. if you go too far left then it will unscrew and pop out of it's keeper so be careful. it is on a spring but only for tension- it shouldn't wheel back after you turn it
                  1993 Suzuki GSX600F

Comment

Barbeque heat paint works...you can tape and stripe it...I've seen it in flat black only though...did it...is fine.

"A knight proves his worthiness by his deeds."

Comment

Originally posted by imfallen_angel View Post
                      All right, I'm now home...

The paint is

Dupli-color

High-Heat (with ceramic)
                      649 C
                      1200 F

As others mentioned, if it doesn't last more than a couple of years, it's not that bad. Now that I've learned how to remove and put them back, it will be a lot easier next time. What I'll do is take pictures or a video when I do it next time.

I still can't believe the difference it made (having new exhausts)

I did buy the bike used, but I guess there where holes in them already.

The only problem I now have is the idle... it's too low.

I saw in another thread that someone mention a plastic wheel on the side. I believe that I see it easily, but it's not doing anything when I move it (it's sprint loaded and returns to the same spot), and afraid to break something if I was to try too hard.

The manual that was posted and the one I have are in B/W and impossible to see and be sure.

Does anyone have a picture that shows what I'm supposed to "play" with to up the idle?
                      Quick pic of left side of bike, idle adjust screw is white plastic knob just below the fuel tank right behind the lower fairing

Comment

plastic knob

Originally posted by danp2630 View Post
                        Quick pic of left side of bike, idle adjust screw is white plastic knob just below the fuel tank right behind the lower fairing

Great! thanks.

That is what I was playing with but it doesn't seem to want to turn more than the "spring-loaded action". I'll try again when the weather's better (cold and wet here today), but I'll be as careful as possible... if it doesn't do anything, I'll pop the tank up to see if something is moving when I turn it or I'll go see my local repair guy.
                        JPG
                        1988 GSX 1100F

Comment

Working...
                        X