X

Mirror Bolt sucks

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mirror Bolt sucks

My right mirror is loose ,and moving too much. The factory bolt looks like it has a small star head to cinch it down, but i'm not sure. Am I correct with my assumption? I have to tighten this baby up asap.

The bolts on my mirrors are socket head. I just used a standard hex key to get them off.

Comment

Tzortn: The main mirror attaching bolts are allen heads (to fairing). The swivel looks like a tiny star head?. My bike is a 92 Kat F.

Comment

idk if this helps but i have a 96 one of the bolts feel off so it was wobbly, took off the windshield to get easy access an put a new one on.
        real annoying though tight squeeze.

Comment

Originally posted by tekkensan View Post
          idk if this helps but i have a 96 one of the bolts feel off so it was wobbly, took off the windshield to get easy access an put a new one on.
          real annoying though tight squeeze.
          What kat do you have?

Comment

Originally posted by SupRnatural View Post
            What kat do you have?
            96 kat 750, but im assuming that there close to the same up there.

Comment

I believe the 1100 kat mirrors are mounted differently. Anyone?

Comment

Is the mirror loose at the pivot point?

If so plan to take the pivot point apart & use a bolt, 2 washers & a nut & some of the parts out of the pivot assembly.

I did this on both the factory mirrors on mine, worked okay.
                I don't know how fast my bike goes, I've never stopped to find out.

Comment

Yes it is. It has a pressed bolt, and no way to cinch it down. I was thinking in your general direction, I thought possibly there was a better way to replace the oem hardware with something close.

Originally posted by GSX1100FL View Post
                  Is the mirror loose at the pivot point?

If so plan to take the pivot point apart & use a bolt, 2 washers & a nut & some of the parts out of the pivot assembly.

I did this on both the factory mirrors on mine, worked okay.

Comment

Originally posted by SupRnatural View Post
                    Tzortn: The main mirror attaching bolts are allen heads (to fairing). The swivel looks like a tiny star head?. My bike is a 92 Kat F.
                    they are also called socket heads. the bolts are socket head cap screws, or allen head cap screws.

if it is loose at the pivot point, another easy fix for it is to set the mirror where you want it, then screw a small self tapping sheet metal screw in between the "wafers" or "spring washers. It firms it up quite a bit. I did that to mine.
                    I don't have a short temper. I just have a quick reaction to bullshit.

Comment

Thanks Mojoe,and the rest of the guys who responded.

Comment

i have this same issue w/ my 1100... i have too many thing on my plate to care about it right now though. ill check later.

Comment

Originally posted by rocker4488 View Post
                          i have this same issue w/ my 1100... i have too many thing on my plate to care about it right now though. ill check later.
                          take my advice......make room on your plate to fix it. if your mirror is left to flop around, it will weaken that flimsy white metal mount to the point that it will crack.....and one day you will be riding along and witness your mirror going awol. I have left 2 laying in the road during the 16 years I have been riding the 1100 kat.
                          I don't have a short temper. I just have a quick reaction to bullshit.

Comment

the Star Shaped Heads are called Safety Torques.
                            Can get a set at any major Hardware Store.
                            Get Metric.. NOT US Standard and fix that mirror man

Comment

yeaa what they said......^^^^^^ fix that mirror!
                              sigpicMy Kat Barks Like A Dog!boof boof.

Comment

Working...
                              X