X

blowing fuses

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• blowing fuses

I got the kat out for a quick ride and when I left the subdivision I kinda got on the throttle "a little" LOL, the tach and turnsignals now don't work!
    Replaced the fuse for turn signals, turn on the key, and POP, blew again??
    Checked wires to signals and they all look ok, it is my understanding that the tach and signals are on the same circuit, is this true?
    Any ideas here? I'm thinking I have a bad wire under the tank somewhere.
    Anyone else experienced this problem?

I had the same problem with a fuse blowing but mine was with the ignition swith. Everyone in the forums here told me to check the full length of the wires and sure enough I found a short on one of the wires thats not visable without taking the seat, one of the side fairings and the tank off. It looked like the wire was rubbing up against the frame for some time. After I repaired that wire it worked great so I'm sure it's a wire shorting out.
    sigpic

Comment

Also had the same problem, one of the connectors had worked loose causing a short in the wiring harness. Pull the tank, side panel and take a look at all the connectors and check for a bare wire rubbing on the frame. Its really something simple to but a pain to find.
      2005 GSXF750 Katana
      1991 Kawasaki Concours ZG1000
      1993 Kawasaki VN750 Vulcan

Comment

Originally posted by james30263 View Post
        I had the same problem with a fuse blowing but mine was with the ignition swith. Everyone in the forums here told me to check the full length of the wires and sure enough I found a short on one of the wires thats not visable without taking the seat, one of the side fairings and the tank off. It looked like the wire was rubbing up against the frame for some time. After I repaired that wire it worked great so I'm sure it's a wire shorting out.

Thats what I was thinking, wire rubbing where it shouldn't! Thanks.

Originally posted by gaillarry View Post
        Also had the same problem, one of the connectors had worked loose causing a short in the wiring harness. Pull the tank, side panel and take a look at all the connectors and check for a bare wire rubbing on the frame. Its really something simple to but a pain to find.
        +1
        Last edited by danp2630; 03-26-2008, 05:23 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Comment

if you can't find the short, there is a trick to locate it....but you gotta be alert.

wrap the fuse in aluminum foil, then install it and turn on the juice. you will see a whiff of smoke where the short is. I have done it a few times in the past with success.
          I don't have a short temper. I just have a quick reaction to bullshit.

Comment

Originally posted by Mojoe View Post
            if you can't find the short, there is a trick to locate it....but you gotta be alert.

wrap the fuse in aluminum foil, then install it and turn on the juice. you will see a whiff of smoke where the short is. I have done it a few times in the past with success.
            And If I don't get that gas leak fixed first, it'll make a dandy marshmallow fire! LOL

But seriously, I may try that if I cant track it down by looking or continuity checks! Thanks!

I know there is a thread on here somewhere about wether or not the big Kat's can wheelie. Well folks I am here to tell you all.........YES THEY WILL!! Yesterday while coming home from my son's baseball game, I turned onto a onramp and gagged the throttle in first gear, and it shocked the shiate right out of me, power wheelie!No clutching it! Stock gears, header, that's it for mods! Never has it done that before! I just wonder if that wire hasn't been arcing across a ground since I have owned it? I have on occasion noticed the tach acting erratically, but it always quit and I never gave it a second thought! I never thought this bike had as much power as my Kawi 1000 LTD's had, but now, WHOA! Way more judging by my sotp dyno!
            Last edited by danp2630; 03-27-2008, 09:41 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Comment

Originally posted by danp2630 View Post
              And If I don't get that gas leak fixed first, it'll make a dandy marshmallow fire! LOL

But seriously, I may try that if I cant track it down by looking or continuity checks! Thanks!

I know there is a thread on here somewhere about wether or not the big Kat's can wheelie. Well folks I am here to tell you all.........YES THEY WILL!! Yesterday while coming home from my son's baseball game, I turned onto a onramp and gagged the throttle in first gear, and it shocked the shiate right out of me, power wheelie!No clutching it! Stock gears, header, that's it for mods! Never has it done that before! I just wonder if that wire hasn't been arcing across a ground since I have owned it? I have on occasion noticed the tach acting erratically, but it always quit and I never gave it a second thought! I never thought this bike had as much power as my Kawi 1000 LTD's had, but now, WHOA! Way more judging by my sotp dyno!
              SAWEET! and i like avatars with big boobies
              Captain of Squad 11

Comment

Originally posted by gaillarry View Post

You get the prize! connector pulled loose shorting out, went ahead and re-taped entire harness from tank forward now it won't come loose again!
                Sure is nice to hae everything working again! Now for that oil leaking valve cover and paintwork!
                You're never really done.......are you?

Comment

Working...
                X