X

Rear wheel/tire combo?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rear wheel/tire combo?

Hi folks. I've searched the board but wasn't able to come up with a satisfactory answer. I have a 91 Kat 1100. I want a wider rear tire, 180. What is the best rear wheel? I was thinking mid to late 90'd GSXR? I don't really know what will fit the best, with the least amount of work. I appreciate any input anybody may have.

Thanks,
    Sean

Might find some helpful info here:

Info & discussions about our Big Brothers - the 1100 Kats
    The people who think they know everything always mess it up for those of us who do .....

BIGKAT1100

Comment

Originally posted by BIGKAT1100 View Post
      Might find some helpful info here:

http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=77279
      There was some info there. Unfortunately I still dont' know what wheel I can order that will go in with little to no modifications.

Comment

if you change your wheel from the standard unit there will usually be a little messing about ...

the disc for the new wheel will probably be a different diameter to the one presently fitted which will require the matching caliper hanger ...

there "may" be the need to fabricate/weld a new torque arm/mount...

spacers will probably need sorting ...

not "sure" on which wheel you will need but i'd suspect any 5.5" x 17" from about 1990 to 1995 gsxr will be what you are looking for (5.5 to correctly carry the 180 tyre) or probably any Bandit1200 with a 5.5 rim...

only thing to really check is spindle diameters, the rest should follow easy enough
        it ain't broke ....

i ain't fixed it enough

Comment

Great, thank you for the info.

Comment

What is the advantage of a larger rear tire? I understand 180 for width, but is a 17" all that?

Comment

using a 17" wheel apparently gives a greater choice of tyres (stickier rubber anyone) or at least here in the U.K. it's supposed to ...

i rarely buy new tyres, but finding part worn 16" tyres compares with finding rocking horse droppings
              it ain't broke ....

i ain't fixed it enough

Comment

Working...
              X