Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

is there anyway to change out the rear cowl on a 1100??

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• is there anyway to change out the rear cowl on a 1100??

i was just wondering if i could possibly change out my rear cowl on my 89 katana1100 with possibly a 89-92 gsxr1100 one, or with that would i have to change my seat?

anything is possible all it takes is a little work

Comment

It would take some cutting, welding, and some other things most likely. You'd probably have to change out the whole tail, or get a new seat, but those are hard to get fitted right to your tank. It would be really lucky/rare to find one that just bolts on. I did something to make it look better though, I pulled off that black plastic piece that goes down with the tail blinkers and rear light, and took that whole piece off and got new rear blinkers and put them right next to
      the tail light. Then, I took a hacksaw (small tooth) and cut off the part of the tail subframe that you could see underneath so it looked natural. I've never had a problem and it looks much better.

Comment

Originally posted by dprbusm View Post
        It would take some cutting, welding, and some other things most likely. You'd probably have to change out the whole tail, or get a new seat, but those are hard to get fitted right to your tank. It would be really lucky/rare to find one that just bolts on. I did something to make it look better though, I pulled off that black plastic piece that goes down with the tail blinkers and rear light, and took that whole piece off and got new rear blinkers and put them right next to
        the tail light. Then, I took a hacksaw (small tooth) and cut off the part of the tail subframe that you could see underneath so it looked natural. I've never had a problem and it looks much better.

Comment

Originally posted by dprbusm View Post

..that's how I did it too
          (sure now the rear tire throws a little water on my back....but I don't like to ride in rainy days anyway)
          Last edited by Paolo; 07-15-2008, 10:29 AM. Reason: ...
          Biker chicks know how to ride.....

Comment

Sorry, here are your pics...

Here is what I did...

P.S. Mine's for sale, so if you know someone who wants one...this one is great.

P1021694edit.jpg

P1021695edit.jpg

P1021700.jpg

Comment

Personally i'd buy a complete late model (bolt on) gsxr subframe & seat unit, cut the original subframe from the bike & weld on tabs to take the new unit

As pionted out above there will be issues with getting the tank & seat to line up but thats not to difficult to sort tbh

I've done this a few times on other stuff but not on a F yet, cant see it being any different to the ones ive done before though
              Renthals & twin spots do not make a streetfighter !

Comment

Working...
              X