X

Rear Shock

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Rear shock

I swapped a 1993 GSXR 750 rear shock into my 1988 Katana 1100. Here are a few things I noticed. Get something with a remote reservoir. The bottom yoke needs to be removable. You might have to swap it out with the yoke from your shock. Some of the early Kat 1100s have a 1-piece shock that cannot be separated; I think anything newer than a 1989 should not have this problem. Make sure you measure what you are taking out and what you are installing. Since I had the one-piece shock, I had a machine shop make me a yoke that gave me the exact dimension I needed. I replaced a 20-year-old shock with 50,000 miles on it so I felt a little experimentation was worth it. The end result, I like it. It rides way better than before and I have some adjustment options now. For the front end I just threw in some progressive springs and changed the oil.
    01 Bandit 1200 engine w/91 GSXR 1100 intake cam 36mm Carbs w/Stage 1 Jet kit/dual pod K&N filters. 90 GSXR 1100 wheels and front brakes. DID 530 chain. 93 GSXR 750 rear shock, Full Yoshimura exhaust system 4 into 1

Comment

Why did you have to change the yoke?
      I thought the yoke and pivot were pretty standard..

The 93 GSX-r is nearly identical to the shock I put on my 95 750..

Comment

Originally posted by Black_peter View Post
        Hey! I just realized you mentioned spring rates.. Didn't I cover that?

Yeah I did, if I can make it clearer please let me know!
        No you did cover that well, what I'm pondering is what the oe rate is compared to what ever i replace it with will be and to what degree it will have to be modded to dial it in for my ride.
        WOW! your bikes really fast! you were flying when i passed you!

xbox live= katana11
        We Will Always remember!
        sigpic

Comment

I had to change the yoke because the shocks were different lengths from bolt hole to bolt hole. I cant remember how far apart my mechanic said they were but if it is less than a 1/4" you will probably not notice the change in ride height.
          01 Bandit 1200 engine w/91 GSXR 1100 intake cam 36mm Carbs w/Stage 1 Jet kit/dual pod K&N filters. 90 GSXR 1100 wheels and front brakes. DID 530 chain. 93 GSXR 750 rear shock, Full Yoshimura exhaust system 4 into 1

Comment

Originally posted by Katana1100 View Post
            No you did cover that well, what I'm pondering is what the oe rate is compared to what ever i replace it with will be and to what degree it will have to be modded to dial it in for my ride.
            If you use a common shock (Like the GSX-R) that info must be around.
            If you buy a new spring obviously that is known
            Now about the stock Kat? I'm guessing soft.
            If you call race tech they might know the stock rate:
            951.279.6655 or [email protected]

Comment

If you use a common shock (Like the GSX-R) that info must be around.
              If you buy a new spring obviously that is known
              Now about the stock Kat? I'm guessing soft.
              If you call race tech they might know the stock rate:
              951.279.6655 or [email protected]
              Thats really my whole issue with my shock,that the spring is to soft,I have the preload cranked all the way up and I'm still not happy with it.I dont know why either,the bike only has 15K on it and 2up it bottoms easily and even solo its not great. although, between the two of us the wife and I have lost 100lbs so maybe this year it will be alot better!LOL

xbox live= katana11
              We Will Always remember!
              sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Katana1100 View Post
                . although, between the two of us the wife and I have lost 100lbs so maybe this year it will be alot better!LOL
                And that is why the difference in weight between the Katana and the GSX-R doesn't matter. If you can adjust a shock to accommodate for a rider that might weight 150 pounds over some average like 170, or two up where up to 300 pounds are added to the bike. What difference is 50 -100 pounds of bike?

Comment

And that is why the difference in weight between the Katana and the GSX-R doesn't matter. If you can adjust a shock to accommodate for a rider that might weight 150 pounds over some average like 170, or two up where up to 300 pounds are added to the bike. What difference is 50 -100 pounds of bike?
                  I guess looking at it that way,your right.
                  Now its just trying to get close on the length. I suppose the stock spring is removable,wonder if its worth just replaceing the spring,although a modern shock must be a better quality with more adjustments.

xbox live= katana11
                  We Will Always remember!
                  sigpic

Comment

Is there a way to test older shocks? I have about a dozen various sportbike shocks, including two from Kats and one from a GSXR. How to tell if they are good? Most are not ID's as to the bike they are from, but almost all have bike make (honda, Kawi, etc.) and shock manuf. (Showa, etc.) on them.
                    "Stevie B" Boudreaux

I ride: '01 Triumph Sprint ST

Projects: Honda CB650 Bobber projects I, II and III

Take care of: 81 Honda CM400,72 Suzuki GT550

Watch over/advise on: 84 Honda Nighthawk 700S (now my son's bike)

For sale, or soon to be: 89 Katana 1100, 84 Honda V45 Magna, 95 Yamaha SECA II, 99 GSXR600, 95 ZX-6, 84 Kaw. KZ700, 01 Bandit 1200, 74 CB360.

Comment

Yes!
                      There are shock dynos. I've not looked into them but it might be possible to build one.

Comment

just curious, but im guessing the katana 1100 has a much more heavier spring load than a gsxr. just being the weigh factor of the bike. i would think that a gsxr rear shock would feel sloppy and wear out quick from the extra weight and sag a bit....just thinking this, might not be true

Comment

Originally posted by ITS_NOT_A_KNIFE View Post
                          i would think that a gsxr rear shock would feel sloppy and wear out quick from the extra weight and sag a bit....just thinking this, might not be true
                          Common misconception. I'm betting the GSX-R has a stiffer spring.

Comment

Common misconception. I'm betting the GSX-R has a stiffer spring.
                            yes i agree, they are two different intended uses for each,and the hypersport would be stiffer

xbox live= katana11
                            We Will Always remember!
                            sigpic

Comment

new shocks

Hi:
                              I got a new shock from Works Performance for my '88 and have been happy with it:

Pricey, starting at about $570, but they're rebuildable, and I'm planning on having the Kat a long time. Took about 20 minutes to drop in.

Also got the dual rate springs, and that made a huge difference in handling with these completely nonadjustable forks.
                              Hope this helps.

Comment

Working...
                              X