No announcement yet.
X

performance exhaust

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Good call on the V&H, most of the responses you got here were from people with 600's or 750's, I have the 88 1100 with a V&H SS2R and it is sweet! As for other mods, there is a thread about jet kits here, everyone says to use the factory pro kit, I still can't find one for a 1988 GSX1100F
    So I bought a Dynojet stage 1 kit. Have not installed it yet as well as a K&N filter, you'll probably hear a lot of flack on a K&N too, most just stick with the stock filter and airbox. I would think that probably one of the cheapest mods to wake up the Kat a little would be to go down 1 tooth on the front sprocket and up 2 on the rear. When I am ready to replace mine I will do this. A 5* ignition advancer seems to help too!
    Good luck!
    Last edited by danp2630; 01-27-2008, 04:24 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by danp2630 View Post
      Good call on the V&H, most of the responses you got here were from people with 600's or 750's, I have the 88 1100 with a V&H SS2R and it is sweet! As for other mods, there is a thread about jet kits here, everyone says to use the factory pro kit, I still can't find one for a 1988 GSX1100F
      So I bought a Dynojet stage 1 kit. Have not installed it yet as well as a K&N filter, you'll probably hear a lot of flack on a K&N too, most just stick with the stock filter and airbox. I would think that probably one of the cheapest mods to wake up the Kat a little would be to go down 1 tooth on the front sprocket and up 2 on the rear. When I am ready to replace mine I will do this. A 5* ignition advancer seems to help too!
      Good luck!
      is jetting the carbs something i can do myself or is that a mech kinda thing? how many teeth do the stock sprockets got?

im new to this stuff. i got my license in july and the kat in august. just started. i got the bike from my dad who got it in 92 and only road it for 6 years or so. he let it sit in the garage for a long *** time. i got it with rock hard tires and it was way outta tune. spent about 1300 bucks gettin her to perform like she should. its only got 23xxx miles and its never been dumped. paint is pretty much perfect. everyone is shocked to learn its an 88. anyways, i really like the look and ride, accept for the mirrors, so i figure ill slowly tune it up.
      ford guy turned kat rider

Comment

Originally posted by seethesvt View Post
        is jetting the carbs something i can do myself or is that a mech kinda thing? how many teeth do the stock sprockets got?
        Yes you can jet the carbs, it requires some tinkering to dial them in. The front sprocket has 15 teeth stock and the rear is a 52 tooth stock, I would go 14/54 to give it some more umph off the line, will definately not help your fuel economy though!
        There is a link to a Factory service manual in the 1100 section that you can download to your computer and print out. This manual is way better than the haynes, I have both and have since lost track of my haynes manual!
        Mojoe is the 1100 guru here if you have any questions, he can probably answer them as well if not better than anyone else.(Sorry Mojoe if that sounds like arse kissing, just givin you props).

Comment

Originally posted by DClark View Post
          No one makes an aftermarket two pipe exit exhaust. It would cost more (two mufflers instead of one) and weigh more, with no performance advantage.
          Look, when i replaced my stock system with a 4-1, I cut 35lbs of weight off the bike, that's like 8% lighter. The bike is not just faster because of a more free flowing exhaust; it is faster because it has less weight to pull.
          not true at all. I have a set of dual Jardines sitting in the corner of my shop that says different.

You guys aren't searching too much, are ya? I have come across at least 7-8 different exhaust systems for the 1100 kat in my past research.
          they range from single to dual....street to track.

try:

Jardine
          Wolf
          Yosh
          V&H

and there are a few others
          I don't have a short temper. I just have a quick reaction to bullshit.

Comment

Jardine makes a 4-2 exhaust? Where?

Get a factory jet kit, then a K&N filter. The jet kit is easy to install.
            I went down in gearing to lower my cruising rpms. I get less buzz to my old arthritic hands. These bikes can be pretty buzzy and are pretty darn sensitive to carb synch, so I'd recommend a Morgan carb tuner. It is amazing how much smoother the bike is with just a minor synch. Valve adjustments are another thing- with 20K miles on your bike, if they are in spec now, they should be for a while.
            Get a 5 degree advancer, get some relays and a 80/100w bulb for great light. You can find some cheap soft luggage that will help turn the Kat into a grocery getter.
            I got much better brake feel with Russell stainless steel brake lines.
            Oh, and change that fork fluid! It probably hasn't been changed and it will ride nicer with new fluid. All of the things I have mentioned might cost under $200 total, can easily be done by yourself and will give you a better driving experience.
            K&N filter- is not much more than a factory filter. I don't like their mounting washers. I took an old rubber mouse pad, glued it to the mounting plate of the K&N kit and seals well. I have also used the Uniflo foam filter which cost about as much as stock filter. I prefer the K&N.

Comment

I do not know where, exactly, but I assume it is somewhere.

here is a pic. don't let the shape fool ya....they bark quite nicely.
              moderately loud at slow speeds.
              bark like a biatch when you wind it up.
              They bolt right up to the stock header.

I don't have a short temper. I just have a quick reaction to bullshit.

Comment

Looks like simply an exhaust replacing the stock exhaust; not a system.
                The stock system is heavy not very free breathing. I repalced after my daughter burned her self on the stock muffler- those things would get hot.

Comment

Get a factory jet kit, then a K&N filter. The jet kit is easy to install.
                  I went down in gearing to lower my cruising rpms. I get less buzz to my old arthritic hands. These bikes can be pretty buzzy and are pretty darn sensitive to carb synch, so I'd recommend a Morgan carb tuner. It is amazing how much smoother the bike is with just a minor synch. Valve adjustments are another thing- with 20K miles on your bike, if they are in spec now, they should be for a while.
                  Get a 5 degree advancer, get some relays and a 80/100w bulb for great light. You can find some cheap soft luggage that will help turn the Kat into a grocery getter.
                  I got much better brake feel with Russell stainless steel brake lines.
                  Oh, and change that fork fluid! It probably hasn't been changed and it will ride nicer with new fluid. All of the things I have mentioned might cost under $200 total, can easily be done by yourself and will give you a better driving experience.
                  K&N filter- is not much more than a factory filter. I don't like their mounting washers. I took an old rubber mouse pad, glued it to the mounting plate of the K&N kit and seals well. I have also used the Uniflo foam filter which cost about as much as stock filter. I prefer the K&N.
                  what? 5 degree advancer? i just had the fork somethings or other resealed so im guessing they put new fluid in there.

Comment

Originally posted by seethesvt View Post
                    what? 5 degree advancer? i just had the fork somethings or other resealed so im guessing they put new fluid in there.
                    The 5 degree advancer advances the timing- it improves the throtttle response and adds a bit of grunt down low. The trade off is possible loss of a bit of hp at high rpm. With the fat car weighing over 530lbs, any extra power down low is welcomed.

The shop may or may not have replaced the fluid in the fork. They might have toped it off or even just left it alone, you just never know.
                    When I did mine, rather than take the tops of the forks, I did this:
                    1) remove one fork leg
                    2) Remove drain plug
                    3) Drain fluid into a measuring cup.
                    4) Pump fork, get all fluid out.
                    5) write down the amount of fluid that went in.
                    6) Put in equal amount of fluid through the drain plug. I think I used one of those little blue rubber ear wax irragators that came with an ear wax removal kit (Walmart, $5).
                    7) Replace fork, do to the other.
                    In your case, you could try it on the fork that didn't go to the shop, then the other.
                    FWIW, the shop manage at my Suzuki store said that Suzuki fork oil is crappy stuff and they only stock it in case someone comes in with a suzuki fork that needs repair work- then they use only suzuki parts, right down to the fluid. He said that if you use a good aftermarket fluid, the stuff can stay in the forks for the life of the bike.

Comment

there goes that. the cops impounded my car and all the money i started saving for riding gear and exhaust went to that!! so now im thinkin i wont beable to afford them both si riding gear it is. maybe exhaust later in the year.

Comment

I would really like a 4-1 exhaust on my 88 gsx1100f and the V&H SS2R looks really nice. Does anyone know if it's possible to mount it without making any modifications to the fairings or removing the center stand?

Comment

U should prob start a thread. Gettin in an old one never gets u an answer.

Comment

Will a V&H Supersport exhaust on a 1990 600 interfere with a center stand?
                            2004 KTM 525 EXC
                            2004 KTM 200 EXC
                            1990 Suzuki GSX600F
                            1978-1/2 AMF/H-D Low Rider 1200

Comment

Most do, some may have the centerstand stop or you can make one.
                              "I'm sorry, I didn't mean to upset you when I called you stupid. I thought you already knew..."
                              spammer police
                              USAF veteran
                              If your a veteran, join the KR veterans group

Comment

any insight to the exhaust diameter an 88 might like with stock 34mm CV mikunis and stock airbox and stock style filter? I like a 4-1 but dont want to pay some company for paint and ~so so~ quality when i can make a system myself. I see room enough for perhaps 10-15% pipe diameter increase without causing undue clearance issues. (transitioning from a 4-2 to a 4-1 system)
                                1988 GSX1100FJ
                                sigpic
                                Instagram @derdmn
                                1976 Dodge Aspen 225 slant six
                                2013 Chevy Equinox 2.3 EcoTec (plans for turbo system)

Comment

Working...
                                X