X

Engine electronics on a Katana 1100 Motor

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Engine electronics on a Katana 1100 Motor

I have an extra 1100 motor that I am selling. I told thew purchaser that I wanted to keep the Alternator, starter and electronics. The alternator and starter are easy to see and remove but where are the electronics. The dealer told me they were expensive and rare to come across so I should hang on to them in case I need them in the future. Where would they be attached to the engine?

Any help for the mechanically challenged would be helpful.

Thanks,

the dealer is right.

a new altenator from bikebandit is over $650. dealer price is maybe $8-900. it is rare enough to find used, but still available new.

same with the starter.....$312 on bikebandit. maybe $500 through a dealer.

the other electronics are the igniter for one. it looks like this....or similar. this is off a gs550ef. it is under the left sidecover. it is a goldish color and plugs into the wiring harness. you can still buy it new....for $450.00 But unless you still have the frame with that spare motor, or at least the wiring harness, chances are that you don't have it.

Shot with Canon EOS DIGITAL REBEL at 2007-07-25

as for what is actually on the motor.....there is the signal generator. it is about $135 new from bikebandit.
    imo, you should leave this with the engine. it is not all that expensive, and readily available. if yours goes, it is a good excuse to upgrade to a DynaTech ignition.

Shot at 2007-07-25

in short, there is not all that much on the engine that you should keep. starter and altenator to be safe. I would let the signal generator go with it just for the fact that if mine went bad, I would pay $135 for a new one over sticking an used on one that might not last all that long either.

the rest of the electronics.....igniter, cdi, sylenoid.....these are all attached to the frame in the wiring harness. unless the motor is still in the frame with the wiring harness, you won't find them.
    I don't have a short temper. I just have a quick reaction to bullshit.

Comment

I'm not 100% sure about the starter or other electrics on the engine but I had to replace my alternator and I used a Gixxer 750 alternator on my 1100 Kat. I think it was from a mid 90s model. Just based on that, I would not rule out checking on some stuff through your local boneyard. The way these squids tear stuff up, sometimes they're a possiblity for people with imagination.
      The people who think they know everything always mess it up for those of us who do .....

BIGKAT1100

Comment

Working...
      X