Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

Will 750 Cans Work On Ab 1100? Will Any Other Cans Work?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Will 750 Cans Work On Ab 1100? Will Any Other Cans Work?

Trying so hard to find a affordable replacement for this D&D. What will work?
    "Stevie B" Boudreaux

I ride: '01 Triumph Sprint ST

Projects: Honda CB650 Bobber projects I, II and III

Take care of: 81 Honda CM400,72 Suzuki GT550

Watch over/advise on: 84 Honda Nighthawk 700S (now my son's bike)

For sale, or soon to be: 89 Katana 1100, 84 Honda V45 Magna, 95 Yamaha SECA II, 99 GSXR600, 95 ZX-6, 84 Kaw. KZ700, 01 Bandit 1200, 74 CB360.

I hate to be the bearer of bad news, steve, but your choices are extremely limited.

yosh made a system, but I am 99% sure it is discontinued and exists only as used.

then you have your D&D....which is way too noisy on the 1100 kats.

V&H makes the SSR2...or SS2R...something like that, but I have never heard or seen it aside from online. it's around $400-450

danp2630 has the older V&H system that is no longer availabe, but imo is the "best aftermarket" option out there. I plan on becoming the owner of that one someday if it becomes available.

Jardines makes a dual system like I showed ya. kinda ugly imo, but loved the sound.

then you have the stock dualies. over all, my favorite. nice tone, and they look more at home on the bike than any other system. all the exhausts hang low on the kat. they aren't like other bikes where the can pitches up higher. the stock cans are huge and simple, and one on each side fits well. and unless you are doing fairly extensive mods, I am not even sure why one would need a 4:1 for anything more than sound, which you eventually get sick of anyway.

and because ppl have a tendancy to eventually start missing their quiet stockers, that is why you probably didn't like the price I give you on mine. and after thinking about it, I am not even sure I would let them go at that price. anyone who ever got rid of their stock exhaust after going to aftermarket, then wanted to switch back, realize that once they are gone, they are gone. So quite simply, I won't put myself in that position at a cheap price. It's gonna cost ya.

consider those 2 stock ones with the rust on ebay. if you want to work at it a bit, you can polish them up nicely. they are not a chrome-like finish anyway. it is more of a brushed satin look, so go at them with a buffer and some compound, or even wetsanding. dry sand to start.....wetsand to finish. this is your cheapest way.

you can't do much as far as exhaust swaps for anything less than $200....at least not with the 1100 kat. it aint like the 600-750's on here, where someone is always selling off their stock system cuz they just bought a new system. sure...you can find an used 4:1 from time to time for $100 or less, but it's still loud if loud is what you are trying to get away from.

you do have one other option. keep the D&D header and mid-pipe, and fit another brand canister to it. Micron was always something I liked. lots of cool colors. I would just make it fit my D&D pipe. but even doing this is going to be a bit costly....and you are not garantted you are going to be happy with what you hear....at least over the long term. they all sound great when you get them installed.....cuz you want them to. but after a while, the tone changes.
    I don't have a short temper. I just have a quick reaction to bullshit.

Comment

Mojoe, it was not so much that I didn;t like the price of the stock system- well, sure, I was hoping it would be less- just wanted to know options, and thought I would do better putting it on the open forum. The things you say make a lot of sense. Excepting that system on fleabay, you are my man for pipes. I have heard of the Yoshi system, but don't want to go chasing something that is near impossible to find. Everybody here knows how I feel about D&D, I am not gonna pay $450 for a system. I am watching the set on ebay to see where it goes- I am thinking I like the Kerker- don't they have the discs that you add/remove to tune the cans? I noticed Kerkers were not part of your "review-" do you have an opinion of them? Here's the link:

(Folks, I need a new muffler in the worst way, for this bike, and thank you all in advance if you can exercise some restraint and not bid against me.) I agree- the stock system looks the best.

I am SERIOUSLY considering butchering that Honda CBR1100 can I have, to see how it will work/sound. I have posted it on several yahoo groups, and no nibbles, even. As the clutch hose sprung a leak, if I put the Honda can on, I can only test it in my driveway- do you have any suggestion on how to determine if it is flowing enough? If it will work (i.e. flow enough), I bet it will sound fine, and I can make it look good, too- already figured that part out. Keep in mind, the CBR1100 has duals, similar to the Busa.

If I buy another can for the single system I have, I am thinking I should go with a can for a bike at LEAST 1000 cc's. Whatca think? These are on fleabay right now, and got my attention (first one is of undetermined origin, but going cheap)

Im thinking that last one, above, might be the best bet, so far.

Thanks for your help, Mojoe, and if anyone else has an opinion, let 'er rip!

You do know I need the whole system if I go duals, right? My 4-2-1 sweeps off to the right pretty quick, so I don't think I could make it work for anything other than a single can. Just checked, so it is fresh in my mind.
      "Stevie B" Boudreaux

I ride: '01 Triumph Sprint ST

Projects: Honda CB650 Bobber projects I, II and III

Take care of: 81 Honda CM400,72 Suzuki GT550

Watch over/advise on: 84 Honda Nighthawk 700S (now my son's bike)

For sale, or soon to be: 89 Katana 1100, 84 Honda V45 Magna, 95 Yamaha SECA II, 99 GSXR600, 95 ZX-6, 84 Kaw. KZ700, 01 Bandit 1200, 74 CB360.

Comment

dude....grab those kerkers before they are gone. kerker has a sweet sound, and good rep. I will be putting kerker on my 86 750 when I do that resto.

as far as kerker not being part of my "review", that is not a kat 1100 specific system he has listed. kerker doesn't make a system for the 1100 kat. only for the ol' school early 80's model. what he has listed there is the stock header pipes and collectors, with a home made mid-pipe with kerker cans. looks to be well done. for $125 + $40 shipping, I would be snagging on to that in a hurry if I was in your position and looking for a relatively cheap fix.

Comment

you know....I can't count how many hours I have spent doing the exhaust search thing. I've owned the 1100 since 93. I would guess I spend at least 10 hours a year minimum searching exhausts. that's like what? 170 hours? holy crap. funny thing is I already have all I really need.

I will even make a deal with you. buy the kerkers and try them. If you don't like them...as long as they don't have a fitment issue (you would take that up with the seller), I will buy them from you for the same price, minus shipping. you will have to swallow that. I will give you the $125 plus whatever shipping is to me.

Comment

Originally posted by StevieB

You do know I need the whole system if I go duals, right? My 4-2-1 sweeps off to the right pretty quick, so I don't think I could make it work for anything other than a single can. Just checked, so it is fresh in my mind.
            just so you know, the quote I give you on the stock dual system included the whole system including down pipes.

Comment

Working...
            X