X

1988 Katana 1100 head gasket replacement

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1988 Katana 1100 head gasket replacement

I'm looking at bringing back an 88 Katana 1100 from the grave and both the return oil tubes in the front of the engine are leaking (both on the head side) oil.
    After some research, I don't think there is any other way to get at the orings on the oil return tubes other than by removing the cylinder head. Am I correct? The cylinder head needs to come off unless there is an other option?
    Can anyone confirm if the cylinder head can be removed with the engine still in the frame?
    The service manual seems to say no but not entirely sure.

First post from me for a while, yes head will need to come off, doubt there is room to remove it in the frame, however leaving the back spindle in the engine you should be able to swing the lump down for clearance
    If it aint broke polish it

1979 GS7/11 - 1990 GSX1100F

My Rebuild
    http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=133928

Comment

Thanks for the response Locomotion! I've been contemplating this project and had arrived at a similar conclusion on pivoting the motor down to achieve some clearance. Will probably be starting the project in the next month or two. Needing a few parts also so working on gathering up most of what I need before go time.

Comment

Originally posted by Locomotion View Post
        First post from me for a while, yes head will need to come off, doubt there is room to remove it in the frame, however leaving the back spindle in the engine you should be able to swing the lump down for clearance
        My friend got this Kat project and he thinks it needs a head gasket replacement. We'll take note the procedure here when we start working on the bike. Got to finish installing the suspension from 4Wheelonline onto the Wrangler before we can clear the garage.

Comment

Working...
        X