Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

NEW BIKE QUESTIONS FOR THE BIG KAT OWNERS...

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• NEW BIKE QUESTIONS FOR THE BIG KAT OWNERS...

I'm at 60,000 miles and it's time for a major overhaul before summer. No problems with the Busa except time and miles, which is not a big deal, but I have been doing some serious thinking about a new bike. Naturally, I'm counting the freakin' days/hours/minutes until the new Busa arrives, but I got a shudder of a thought yesterday...

What if I don't like it?

I know, heresy, but it could happen. This bike has been the most comfortable, solid, dependable, mile-eater I have ever owned. I love the way it fits me. And the performance... well, what everyone says is true. Torque is my Best Friend. But suppose the Suzuki brain-trust screws it up and makes it "too" light in order to gain performance, or, sharpen the edges and turn into a big Gixxer with no uniqueness. What to do?

I've always liked the 675 and the SV650 but I've only thought of them as a "second" bike. I've sat on the ZX10 and the Gix1000 and can't imagine it as a comfortable daily rider let alone a long distance tool. R1 and CBR? Forget it. I'm a pretzel. Ducati is out 'cause I have a son, don't need to adopt a mechanic. And as cool as the ZX14 is... I still think it's fugly. I even thought (briefly) of going a different route with the R 1200 GS Adventure but I really don't want the upright seating, yet. Maybe just spend less and buy another Busa (04-06) and call it a day.

I think my biggest concern is having to move to a lighter bike. I've ridden literbikes and honestly, it feels like I've got nothing underneath me. On the track I'm sure it would be a blast but daily riding I'm not so sure.

My big brothers... have you ever considered a smaller bike and if you have, how big of an adjustment was it for you?
    sigpic

Normally ride a 98 Bandit 1200S.

Had a 99 Kat 750 last summer. Decided to keep the Bandit, but it was a close call.

about 6 years ago, rode a 82 GS 550L. Liked the lightness okay.

I think I would get a total kick out of something like an SV650.

JMHO.
    "Stevie B" Boudreaux

I ride: '01 Triumph Sprint ST

Projects: Honda CB650 Bobber projects I, II and III

Take care of: 81 Honda CM400,72 Suzuki GT550

Watch over/advise on: 84 Honda Nighthawk 700S (now my son's bike)

For sale, or soon to be: 89 Katana 1100, 84 Honda V45 Magna, 95 Yamaha SECA II, 99 GSXR600, 95 ZX-6, 84 Kaw. KZ700, 01 Bandit 1200, 74 CB360.

Comment

You may laugh...

My Kat is my...7th bike? Two bikes ago I had a Ninja 250. And I freaking loved it. I'm not saying you should go pick one up. But hear me out:

I love the power of the Kat. Actually, it scares me. But on public roads I really can't have that much fun with it. I short shift through the gearbox and cruise around.

With the Ninja, I took the whole slow bike fast vs fast bike slow approach. That is, it's more fun to ride a slow bike fast than be stuck riding a fast bike slow. The Ninja redlines at 14000. Around town, you can actually redline it through the first couple of gears and not lose your license. True, your eyeballs are not going to be sucked out (in?) from the acceleration. But because the bike is light as can be (roughly 320 pounds) you can ride the snot out of it.

The lows? It's not a muscle bike. Long trips on stock seat are miserable. Riders of large bikes snicker at stop lights.

The highs? Very reliable, scalpel-like handling, no muss no fuss, demeanor, 70+mpg!

Just a thought.

I also dig the SV's and the new Ninja 650's.

"Fell in love with a woman unkind, smoked my stuff and drank all my wine..."

Comment

I can't really help you Thom. My ass has been in the saddle of the 1100 kat for 14 years now, and I have not been able to sit on a bike to date that feels "at home" as my kat does. I have sat on the busa, the zx, hondas, yamahas, and even some customs. Each one has taken all of 10 seconds for me to say, "nope....I will stick with my kat".
        I don't have a short temper. I just have a quick reaction to bullshit.

Comment

Originally posted by Mojoe
          I can't really help you Thom. My a$$ has been in the saddle of the 1100 kat for 14 years now, and I have not been able to sit on a bike to date that feels "at home" as my kat does. I have sat on the busa, the zx, hondas, yamahas, and even some customs. Each one has taken all of 10 seconds for me to say, "nope....I will stick with my kat".
          Im with you there! Never sat on a bike that felt better, and the ride position( angle) is perfect for me.

Comment

Originally posted by UPSMAN
            Originally posted by Mojoe
            I can't really help you Thom. My a$$ has been in the saddle of the 1100 kat for 14 years now, and I have not been able to sit on a bike to date that feels "at home" as my kat does. I have sat on the busa, the zx, hondas, yamahas, and even some customs. Each one has taken all of 10 seconds for me to say, "nope....I will stick with my kat".
            Im with you there! Never sat on a bike that felt better, and the ride position( angle) is perfect for me.
            yup....it's the perfect bike. suzuki needs to start making another bike like the 1100 kat. perfect riding position, dependable and plenty of power. and it looks pretty sharp, imho. it's hard to find all those things in a bike these days. in most cases, one thing is sacrificed for another.
            I don't have a short temper. I just have a quick reaction to bullshit.

Comment

I have to get on board with comfort, power and really good ergos. What do you do when your bike gets a little long in the tooth and you don't really want to do a major re-build. I think about that stuff because I know that one day my "Big Block" Kat will have those miles and it will be time to update. Most of the bikes nowadays are very one dimensional. It's just me, I'd pick the Busa. Line up pictures of the GS1150ES, GSX1100F (KATANA), AND the Busa. You can see a pattern of progression there. The only thing I would to the Busa is add some risers to it if they were available.

Just food for thought
              The people who think they know everything always mess it up for those of us who do .....

BIGKAT1100

Comment

Well, I'll know June 24th what it's going to be, one way or the other.
                Either a new Busa or an '05 with low miles and a '02 Gix600 for the track.

I sure hope it hasn't turned into a really big Gixxer.
                sigpic

Comment

I was checking out the Suzuki website and saw the new Bandit 1250, it looks pretty cool.

Comment

Working...
                  X