• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• That's the spirit... work it baby...
    "Life is what happens when you make plans..."

http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=119546

Comment

• How's the seat under all that dust? I've only got three of them that need homes.
      Wherever you go... There you are!

17 Inch Wheel Conversion
      HID Projector Retrofit

Comment

• Hey, Canuk
        Mine looked like that until like 3- weeks ago, winter tear down.
        New; chain&sprockets,rear wheel brgs,repack brgs in swing arm and shock linkage,front wheel brgs,progressive fork springs,fork seals,braided front 2-line brake hoses, new pads all around,repaired windshield guides,repaired and spot-painted broken upper fairing, coil relay mod. WHEW!
        Attached Files
        Do the thing you fear most, and the Death of fear is most certain.

Comment

• That's a good looking bike. Now you just need an HID headlight!

17 Inch Wheel Conversion
          HID Projector Retrofit

Comment

• Originally posted by Wild-Bill View Post
            That's a good looking bike. Now you just need an HID headlight!
            Thanks, Bill

Was actually thinking of just doing a headlamp relay with a 90/100w bulb. Maybe a little too much heat though. I have a '72 Buick GS conv that has the 4 headlamp system. Many years ago I put in 4 of the Hella euro headlamps with the outer hi/lo beams having 90/100 bulbs and the inner hi beams have 100w bulbs. All running thru two 40A relays. With hi beams on I have 400w of hi beams super white light, man I tell you it's like daylight. I still have a few Hella 90/100 bulbs left.

Comment

• Well if you'd like to do an HID projector retrofit just let me know. I've got one sitting in the garage (single beam, bolt-on) that's for sale. That and a 55W bulb/ballast and you're in business. If you want, I'd even be willing to solder up a relay harness for you.

17 Inch Wheel Conversion
              HID Projector Retrofit

Comment

• Big-Ko, That's a darn nice looking bike you have there. Sounds like a lot of the parts that I will have to put into my Kat. It's been sitting for 10 years. I'm thinking all the hydraulic lines need to go (brake and clutch), rebuild the calipers, and I should tear apart the wheels, swing arm, headset, front forks (leaking seals anyway) and rear shock.

I'm going to make a parts guy really happy.

But, then I get to ride.

Wild-Bill, ever think of doing up a couple of double HID's?

Cheers, canuk_guy

Comment

• I can do that. See the link in my signature. The single projector one I've got for sale is the first one I built.

Canuk, A couple of notes on your project: If your shock is worn out anyway, contact TMod to see about having him rebuild it. It's going to end up being the perfect shock for you and your bike, rather than something cobbled together. Before going to town with the brakes and wheels you may want to think about going to 17" rims. You get better tire selection and the bike handles much better with the larger diameter wheels. I ended up going to calipers from a 750 Kat in the process. See my worklog. (Of course, if you're interested, I've got my original calipers which were working well before I took them off the bike. I'd be very happy to sell them to you for about the same price as the rebuild kits would cost. Got a spare headset, too.) As for brake/clutch lines, do a quick search for G&J Aircraft Brake Lines. I ordered a full set from them for about $90 shipped and I'm very happy with the results.

17 Inch Wheel Conversion
                  HID Projector Retrofit

Comment

• Originally posted by BIG-KO View Post
                    Hey, Canuk
                    Mine looked like that until like 3- weeks ago, winter tear down.
                    New; chain&sprockets,rear wheel brgs,repack brgs in swing arm and shock linkage,front wheel brgs,progressive fork springs,fork seals,braided front 2-line brake hoses, new pads all around,repaired windshield guides,repaired and spot-painted broken upper fairing, coil relay mod. WHEW!
                    That looks just like my bike .... until I started doing stuff to it ... hehe .... Mine is on page 4 (I think)
                    The people who think they know everything always mess it up for those of us who do .....

BIGKAT1100

Comment

• Originally posted by BIG-KO View Post
                      Thanks, Bill

Was actually thinking of just doing a headlamp relay with a 90/100w bulb. Maybe a little too much heat though. I have a '72 Buick GS conv that has the 4 headlamp system. Many years ago I put in 4 of the Hella euro headlamps with the outer hi/lo beams having 90/100 bulbs and the inner hi beams have 100w bulbs. All running thru two 40A relays. With hi beams on I have 400w of hi beams super white light, man I tell you it's like daylight. I still have a few Hella 90/100 bulbs left.
                      Don't know about 90/100w bulbs, but I have been riding with an 80/100w bulb with relays for maybe the last 12 years and have had no problems with heat. The lens is glass (a good thing) and the female plugs has shown no signs of melting. No need for hid when you can get this much light, all it takes is a good bulb and lots of juice!
                      The bulb I prefer are the motorcycle type (HD) bulbs that are 80/100w, charged with xenon gas and have clear (not blue!) glass.

Comment

• Originally posted by DClark View Post
                        Don't know about 90/100w bulbs, but I have been riding with an 80/100w bulb with relays for maybe the last 12 years and have had no problems with heat. The lens is glass (a good thing) and the female plugs has shown no signs of melting. No need for hid when you can get this much light, all it takes is a good bulb and lots of juice!
                        The bulb I prefer are the motorcycle type (HD) bulbs that are 80/100w, charged with xenon gas and have clear (not blue!) glass.
                        Thanks, I think I'll go ahead and do that. Just wish I would have remembered to do this over the winter when all the fairings were off. Can still do but easier to conceal the relays with the fairing off.

Comment

• Unless you're planning to cut the harness and use the 3-point connector, you'll need to pick up some female spade connectors. The relay should take 1/4" connectors but the bulb's connection points are wider than that.

17 Inch Wheel Conversion
                          HID Projector Retrofit

Comment

• Here's mine. Finally got it back together enough to take a pic. It's not completely done, but after a year and half off the road it's rideable.

Comment

• Originally posted by thebird_19 View Post
                              Here's mine. Finally got it back together enough to take a pic. It's not completely done, but after a year and half off the road it's rideable.

.... I am really diggin that ... Very Sweeet
                              The people who think they know everything always mess it up for those of us who do .....

BIGKAT1100

Comment

• ^^Ditto!^^ That blue with the white wheels looks realy good in my opinion.

Comment

Working...
                                X