X

Weird clicking noise in low gears

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Weird clicking noise in low gears

This doesn't happen all the time but after a while I would get a clicking noise between two gears. 1st and 2nd. Up shifting or down shifting. Usual speeds I can dublicate the most is up shifting around 20mph ish, or down shift mostly after 10 mph, mainly 15 area.

The sounds is a fast clicking, stops the bike from going into gear. When the bike is warm, after a while of it runnning. I tried Google, to asking about. The shop I usually go to would want the bike for a while, a ...long...while. also an arm and a leg, prolly a kidney too.

The bike is '08 Gxsf 650.

Any help is welcomed. Of course thank you.
    I should have posted this in the mechanics section but I tried here first since it sounds most of the work there was about actual Katanas.
    Last edited by Aythadis; 06-07-2009, 08:19 AM. Reason: I felt my previous post sounded a little hack ish

Well, you really shouldn't be downshifting to 1st gear....ever. It is VERY hard on the transmission and typical riding will not require this downshift.

Hmmm......I would venture a guess and say your not shifting quickly and hard enough to make the complete shift??? Next oil change, I would suggest running a full synthetic oil (like Mobile 1 Racing 4T) and you should see a noticeable difference in shifting.

Yes...I know we all have hydraulic clutches, but that is for the actuator; our gears are immersed in motorcycle oil.

Comment

i did just get the oil changed a few ago. first one. i can say that i noticed a difference.

as for the down shifting, like slow craw when coming back up to a red light. ill stop that but why heading up into gear? it was a used bike, though only 1k on the speedo. though looking at the bike more today there is some scratched and gouges in the frame, and the little backing plate on the inside of the turning indicater is bent horribly. dropped? as in fell? just speculating.

though it doesnt do it all the time but it starts to do it after a few riding it. id say about 20 miles ish from home.

is it really something i need to worry about? i doubt user error but ill try more on my end. also thanks for your time. when it comes to cars i can hold my own, bikes...um....more or less i feel as though im a one legged man in an arse kicking contest.

again, thanks for your time. i just dont want to bring it to a shop already, i spent enough of vehicles this month

Comment

2008? Seems like it has a warranty and needs to go to the dealership. I work at a dealership and hates guys that bring thier cars in for odd noises but sometimes it is warranted.

Side note: I put a transmission in a car because the woman said it made a "woo woo" noise. Turned out there was a service bulletin about the same thing, apparently something wasnt machined right in the front diffential, so she got a new transmission for free.
        Originally posted by arsenic
        93 octane fuel and K&N pod filters rock.

Comment

Well, you really shouldn't be downshifting to 1st gear....ever. It is VERY hard on the transmission and typical riding will not require this downshift.
          I'm sorry. Do you actually believe that? Cause it's dead wrong in every way. I mean, EVER? How is he suppose to get it back in first if he does not downshift? Downshifting to 1st is no harder on the tranny that going from 6th to 5th so long as you either blip the throttle to match RPM's or let the clutch out slowly to avoid drivetrain shock.

BWT... I double dog dare you to post that crap seriously anywhere else....

Seriously, downshifting is not the issue. Now, HOW you are downshifting could cause a bent shift fork or something that could prevent positive upshifting.
          Ron
          MSgt, USMC (Retired)

Comment

Originally posted by meanstrk View Post
            I'm sorry. Do you actually believe that? Cause it's dead wrong in every way. I mean, EVER? How is he suppose to get it back in first if he does not downshift? Downshifting to 1st is no harder on the tranny that going from 6th to 5th so long as you either blip the throttle to match RPM's or let the clutch out slowly to avoid drivetrain shock.

BWT... I double dog dare you to post that crap seriously anywhere else....

Seriously, downshifting is not the issue. Now, HOW you are downshifting could cause a bent shift fork or something that could prevent positive upshifting.
            Ditto. I don't do it a lot but if I'm running quick and come into a real tight turn, rev match into first and go. I give it a little less throttle and drag the clutch just a TINY bit.
            90% of motorcycle forum members do not have a service manual for their bike.

Originally posted by Badfaerie
            I love how the most ignorant people I have met are the ones that fling the word "ignorant" around like it's an insult, or poo. Maybe they think it means poo
            Originally posted by soulless kaos
            but personaly I dont see a point in a 1000 you can get the same power from a properly tuned 600 with less weight and better handeling.

Comment

Well I down shift to first at every stop sign and broke in two GSXF 650s shifting the same - no problems here. If ya have warrenty left, get it to the shop !
              2000 Katana 600
              2011 Triumph Sprint GT

Comment

Ditto. No telling how the previous owner shifted. I regularly downshift into first coming to a stop. I don't dump the clutch or chirp the back tire, but I do ease out the clutch and use the engine braking. Maybe the previous owner was a hamfist.

Comment

Well the one peice of good news I did find is that the guy before me had a warrenty put on it. Easy to transfur. Just gonna get it looked out ( since its not out of my pocket >_>) thanks all for some input. Who knows how he road it... or what I could have >_<

Though what off topic, painting it like an A-10?

Comment

thats good, hopefully warranty will cover it if there are any issues.

Comment

Originally posted by Aythadis View Post
                      Well the one peice of good news I did find is that the guy before me had a warrenty put on it. Easy to transfur. Just gonna get it looked out ( since its not out of my pocket >_>) thanks all for some input. Who knows how he road it... or what I could have >_<

Though what off topic, painting it like an A-10?
                      as long as you mount the machine guns.

also I notice some clicking to my bike, 02 sv650, but I know that is just my chain.
                      Last edited by ADyingBreed; 06-26-2009, 01:05 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Comment

Yeah... hope. I did find ( amazing some how ... I'm guessing under some module) found the sales receit, and called the shop where the origonal owned bought it from, they said $25 bucks to transfer the warrienty. Wait about 20 days and show up. Oh and take pictures of the bike, you wont see it for a while. Get wallet sizes too.....

Comment

Working...
                        X