Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

How long to wait b/4 taking a passenger?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How long to wait b/4 taking a passenger?

How long, in ur opinion should a new rider wait before he/she starts taking passengers ?

I waited a couple months. I wanted to be very comfortable with my Kat, before I even tried it. Then we had a discussion before, and spent 10 minutes (to get used to each other on turns and stops) in the neighborhood before leaving for our destination.
    AMA member # 224227

Comment

I think it depends on the rider. First and foremost the rider should be 100% comfortable with himself and his bike. As for me, my first passanger was a seasoned veteran, and she "Taught" me how a passanager should ride. Since then it has been cake, and I actually usually feel more comfotable with a passanger than I do riding solo. Now as for twisites and stuff, only certain passangers are allowed to go. And so far there is only one person I feel comfortable with riding 2 up twisties with, and thats Nurse Becky.

Just make sure you are comfortable with your bike, and that your passanger is to.
      Kan-O-Gixxer!
      -89 Gixxer 1100 Engine
      -Stage 3 Jet Kit / KNN Pod Filters
      -Ohlins Susupension
      -Various Other Mods

Comment

A newbie passenger a newbie rider is a recipie for disaster. If neither one of you knows the ins and outs of riding, leaning, etc. It's definately not a good situation.

I dont know that there is a specific time frame to wait..if its just a new bike, but a seasoned rider, thats different..but a totally new rider.. bare minimum atleast a few months of solid riding..but mainly, when you feel comfortable doing it.

Comment

like u said..no time frame...just when the rider is ready. if the rider isnt comfortable riding with himself, than hell no would he/she be ready to take another person's life in his/her hands.
          Hello World.

Comment

It was over a year before I felt comfortable enough trying to take out a passenger. The first time I did it I thought that I would go out for a 20 min quick spin. We ended up going out for a few hours.

Comment

I wouldn't take a passenger until I knew every little quirk about my bike. My wife wouldn't ride with me until then. It took me about 2 months of riding it in the city and back roads to learn everything I could about my bike. After that I took my wife out riding with me then I had to relearn how my bike handles with a passenger. She also gvae input on what the bike felt like to her. So I guess a good time frame would be about 2 months by yourself in just about every situation then going back into those situations with a passenger. The bike handles different with and without a passenger. So remeber that when riding with a passenger.
              www.mopowersports.com

Comment

Originally posted by SweetLou
                I think it depends on the rider. First and foremost the rider should be 100% comfortable with himself and his bike. As for me, my first passanger was a seasoned veteran, and she "Taught" me how a passanager should ride. Since then it has been cake, and I actually usually feel more comfotable with a passanger than I do riding solo. Now as for twisites and stuff, only certain passangers are allowed to go. And so far there is only one person I feel comfortable with riding 2 up twisties with, and thats Nurse Becky.

Just make sure you are comfortable with your bike, and that your passanger is to.
                gonna be the same with me
                my girlfriend's step dad builds bikes, she has rode 2up as a passanger dozens of more times than I've even driven a bike. When I get mine and feel comfortable enough to try riding with a passanger, she's definately gonna be the first.

Comment

I went for over a year..
                  In fact the first (and only) passenger I had became my wife.
                  She was a great passenger!
                  The first ride we took was to get her a new helmet.
                  I just told her a few weeks ago that she was my first :P

Comment

Get a solo cowl and cut off the rear pegs.

J/K, I waited untill I felt more than comfortable with everything. It took me about 6 months. But now I have a bike with a cowl and no rear pegs.
                    1995 GSX-R 750W (Barney Bike - Street)
                    2004 GSX-R 600 (Race Bike) - Powered by MoPowerSports.com
                    Certified Addicted Racing/Trackday Monkey & Gixxer Fixxer // WERA West #224

Comment

You should wait until you have the confidence and skill to ride well enough alone. This may vary with each rider but it will be a minimum of a couple of months. Then you should do short rides with a passenger and work up to longer rides. The bike will feel very different and you neeed to practice these skills to become a competent rider with a passenger.
                      Info for the Ottawa Motorcycle Course

sigpic

Comment

Working...
                      X