X

Advice from Dirt / Dual Sport Riders

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Advice from Dirt / Dual Sport Riders

So, just as if I was asking 'what is a good begginer sportbike'? What are good traits of a Dual Sport bike?

Any tips for first time riding? Street vs. Dirt?

Obviously turning is much different...explain to me how a turn is taken well on street/dirt?

Thanks!

Any experience with the Yamaha XT 600?

Here's the thing about a dual sport...It does good on the street, it does good on the dirt. Problem is that it doesn't do either extremely well. I have a KLX400 (same as the DRZ400), and it is street legal...however the tires are not. DOT dual sport tires will suffer in comparison offroad. I'll probably never own a dual sport again. Now, keep in mind that a lot of dual sport riders mainly use their bike for light trail riding. If that's the case then a dual sport would do just find. I just tend to do more "dirt bike" riding rather than trail riding.

Comment

Bike UK's newest issue has a review of the XT600 (660?), head-to-head against two other bikes. They say the bike is a blast for in-town riding (esp. with street tires slapped on); the ultimate urban road-warrior, but highway stretches for an hour+ are definitely not it's forte.

Cheers,
      =-= The CyberPoet
      Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

Would a 600 single cyclinder be too much for me as a begginer dual sport?

Comment

Originally posted by kickitjp
          Would a 600 single cyclinder be too much for me as a begginer dual sport?
          IMHO: Depends on where you ride it...
          On the street, probably not, given you're already riding a much heavier bike. Hard-pack dirt (think dirt roads) and most grassy fields, probably not. Going seriously off-roading (mud, loose sand, dirt), probably -- in which case I'd suggest the lightest dirt bike you can find, something in the 200 to 400cc range. The DRZ400 is ideal. Figure you have to be able to heft it out of the worst thing you can imagine (3' deep mud puddle)

Cheers,
          =-= The CyberPoet
          Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

Costa Rica actually

Comment

Originally posted by kickitjp
              Costa Rica actually
              If you're going to Costa Rica and using it to tour, the XT600 will be ideal (as would a BMW FS600 or the Suzuki DRZ400). Most of the roads are bad but passable, with lots of switchbacks and altitude changes by the coast. What you want it rock solid, simple as all-get-out and tires with innertubes. If you're renting, they will rent you the appropriate things.

Cheers,
              =-= The CyberPoet
              Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

Woohoo! I'm leaving in 3 days! If I do not post again after that in like 3 weeks....just assume the dual sport did not agree with me.

Comment

Enjoy, you lucky bastige!

Be sure to read the warnings from the State Department for the areas you are going to, and from a couple of the allied-country travel sites.
                  For example, some of the Australian Gov't warnings for Cost Rica are:
                  Carry Travel Insurance including health coverage & evacuation coverage. Malaria and Dengue fever are endemic to the country at this time, and doctors may require cash payment for services even in emergency situations (the US State dept says the same warning about medical treatment). Get immunized before departure. The Australians also warn about some current scams involving tourist car-jacking and other violent crimes (worth reading, IMHO).

The US State Dept. says to contact the embassy on arrival and let them know you're there; that way, if something goes down, they can arrange to evacuate you. You can pre-register online at

Recommended innoculations (should be done 4 to 6 weeks in advance so they can take effect) are : Hepatitis A & B, Rabies, Typhoid, Yellow Fever, plus a booster for tetanus, diphtheria and measles.
                  Required innoculations: none
                  Also highly recommended that you take a anti-malarial drug while there, with Chloroquine recommended for Costa Rica specifically, plus using a DEET-based insect repellent.
                  See http://www.cdc.gov/travel/camerica.htm for more health precaution info.

Finally, cool places to see and go:

Cheers,
                  =-= The CyberPoet
                  Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

Wow, that was some great info Marc...I apparently need some anti-malaria meds.... good thing I've been immunized for all the other stuff already.

Comment

I have a KLR 250, not much on either street or dirt. It does not excell anywhere, EXCEPT on the trails.. If you ever want to go trail riding, its great... The clutching and breaking are much better that any two stroke i've ever riden, and believe me i've riden them all...
                      2006 Suzuki Kat 600
                      1989 Kawasaki KX 250
                      1979 Yamaha zx 1100
                      1975 Honda mr50 elsinore
                      1978 Yamaha Chappy
                      1961 Chevrolet Impala SS

www.Austinsbr.com

Comment

i rode a klr 650 for years it is similar to an xt 600. there great down logging roads,but are very tiring on trails at low speeds, weight is an issue with any of the big bore dual sports, klx/drz 400 is probably the best way to go.

Comment

I have a 1992 yamaha xt350 dual sport and it does very well on the street but on dirt its just ok. partly by my choice of 70/30 street/dirt tires, pirelli mt90 scorpions.
                          I have a sportbike and a cruiser but since getting the dual sport I rider it 50% more than anything else. With the new tires and the light weight of the bike I believe it would take a fairly good sportbike and rider to outdo it in very tight curves on the street. Not to mention its just so fun to ride something you can toss around almost like its a bicycle. I can run the bike on the street at 65-70 mph and never worry about hurting it and if necessary it can manage about 100-110 with no modifications.
                          98% of all Harleys ever sold are still on the road. The other 2% made it home

http://www.ghall1.com/videos/motorcy...C%20VIDEOS.htm

Comment

Working...
                          X