X
X

HOW TO PUT BIKE ON CENTERSTAND

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I use right foot, grab the pass. peg with right arm, and grab the frame by the clip-ons with left arm to give it a backwards swing.

Comment

• Originally posted by djct_watt View Post
      remember that you foot/leg should be doing 90% of the work. i suspect that the people who are struggling are trying to lift with their arrms/back rather than use the centerstand's footpress leverage.
      on the foot work.
      http://www.rollinhardriderz.com
      http://www.myspace.com/hostyle742

sigpic

Comment

• Originally posted by katanafreak93 View Post
        Come on dude. The freakin' Japanese do this. They are skinnier and weigh much less. You're a big boy.
        Like I said before , I got my lil 5'2" 100lb sister to ALMOST get my Kat up by herself just to prove a point , and she had never even TOUCHED a moorsickle before . Seriously , once someone shows you how to do it right and maybe walks you through it ....
        I am a fluffy lil cuddly lovable bunny , dammit !

Katrider's rally 2011 - md86

Comment

• Originally posted by Junior View Post
          Does this procedure work if you're left handed?
          Originally posted by Range View Post
          feels like another person is putting the bike up for you

Thanks for the double laugh guys!

Originally posted by md86 View Post
          Like I said before , I got my lil 5'2" 100lb sister to ALMOST get my Kat up by herself just to prove a point , and she had never even TOUCHED a moorsickle before . Seriously , once someone shows you how to do it right and maybe walks you through it ....

Can i walk your sister through it, she sounds hot?

bit of one on one?
          Last edited by skidMarkNZ; 11-02-2008, 04:59 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
          "You live more in 5 minutes flat out on a bike like this than most people do in a lifetime" -

Burt Munro - World's fastest indian - Invercargill, New Zealand.

"I don't go down that runway praying, you go down that runway praying you are liable to get killed boy, you better be bracing yourself for whats on the other side" - Evil Knievil

Comment

• Yes , she IS hot . And no , you may NOT walk her through it .

Comment

• Originally posted by dave99md View Post
              I watched the videos and read this a thousand times. I still can't get it to work. I can think of only two things:

1) My garage is carpeted and this some how impedes the stand. No it wasn't my idea to put the carpet down...

2) My rear wheel is larger then my front tire.

Or your not strong enough

Comment

• my notes, applicable since i just learned about three weeks ago and feel i have the knack for it:

a) put either foot on it, i switch it up regularly. msot important point is both feet of the stand should be on the ground before you start
                b ) pull back toward the rear wheel. doesnt matter if the handlebar is tilted. mine is usually full left.
                c) pull really hard, and pull up on the back handle at the same time. net movement is up and back, imagine a 45 degree angle from the ground. don't be afraid to manhandle it. as long as the feet are on the ground you should be okay. use your own momentum.
                d) it gets a hell of alot easier after the first few times.
                joey b.

Comment

• (I'm here waiting for the Centerstand School District Short Bus...)

OK, I tried this last night -- worked up the courage, reviewed the top post and *voila* the darn thing got up there alright. Wow, that looks pretty and seems quite stable as well! It took a little more uumph than I than I thought it would but it got up there. Considering I'm not a large or strong fellow, I was amazed at how the physics of it worked to get the bike up. I don't think the prior owner ever even used the center stand. Now having a full tank of gas did not help make it easier to lift....

So, after it was up there and I ooohed and aaahed at the wonder of it all, I hopped up on the seat to "ride" it down like suggested in some of the past posts. In my opinion, it felt like I was on one of those motorcycle rides at the grocery store we loved as kids where you put in a quarter and it went back and forth. I figured given my track record for dropping the darn thing, at least being on it may prevent such problems. When I got all the way up on it, I immediately noticed the air was much thinner and it was a long way down. I really wouldn't have been that worried except for the Sherpas and llamas, but that's a whole 'nother story. (There was a passing thought that if I fell off, my wife would probably have a wonderful story to tell at Thanksgiving dinner...)

I finally worked up the courage to attempt the landing and after rocking back and forth like some kind of retarded urban cowboy, I still could not get the darn thing down. (Think Justin McBride -- just not nearly as cool.) (For those of you with small kids or who are PIXAR fans, I now find myself in something reminiscent of the quandry in that scene at the end of "Finding Nemo" where the fish are in the plastic bags... "Now what?")

After much deep thought, meditation, and reading newspaper advice columns, I've decided to leave it up on the centerstand all Winter and charge the neighborhood kids $0.25 to rock on it. At least that way by the time Spring rolls around I will have enough money to afford the new chain/sprocket set I want (and afford to pay someone to get it down).

My 1st bike & 3rd Child: Midnight Blue 2005 Kat 750

(Something for the faster-moving projectile fan in us all:
                  http://blutube.policeone.com/Clip.as...4238689A5F27F0 )

Comment

• Well ,you COULD stand next to it and push . Cover the brake , give it a shove , and once it starts moving , be ready on that brake and you CAN ease it down . Be sure to lean it TOWARDS you , though .

Comment

• careful with being next to it. once it starts to go any direction you better be strong. maybe have your wife take one handlebar you the other and push. or, climb up there (bring a kukri for the sherpas) and rock it while she pushes you from behind.
                      May the road rise up to meet you.
                      May the wind always be at your back.
                      May the sun shine warm upon your face,
                      and rains fall soft upon your fields.
                      And until we meet again,
                      May God hold you in the palm of His hand.
                      RIP Marc

Comment

• Had to have my roomate help me because I didn't read anything first, now I know how to do it for next winter!
                        02 Katana 600 R.I.P

Comment

• wife and a roommate? mine would leave if i ever brought that up...
                          May the road rise up to meet you.
                          May the wind always be at your back.
                          May the sun shine warm upon your face,
                          and rains fall soft upon your fields.
                          And until we meet again,
                          May God hold you in the palm of His hand.
                          RIP Marc

Comment

• Originally posted by erok011 View Post
                            ...or, climb up there (bring a kukri for the sherpas) and rock it while she pushes you from behind.
                            (One comment Erok011 -- most of those activities left my domain shortly after the kids were born -- wife just doesn't do those sorts of things anymore! )

Yes, indeed I ascended the rocking horse on the centerstand and bribed a sherpa with a kukri (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kukri) to help me make the trek. Well low and behold I attempted to get down without dropping the bike or crushing myself and it worked!

It's a funny thing when holding the front brake lever and rocking violently back and forth that....well nothing happens. However, release the front brake lever, rock back and forth, and down goes bike faster than Eliot Spitzer's public service career. However, I grabbed the brake lever when my feet hit the garage floor and all was well.

The bottom line is that if can get the bike up on the centerstand (and down saftely for that matter), then anyone can. (Now if only Range could use his god-like intelligence to tell me this week's Powerball numbers...)
                            Last edited by Aaron; 11-26-2008, 11:20 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by md86 View Post
                              Well ,you COULD stand next to it and push . Cover the brake , give it a shove , and once it starts moving , be ready on that brake and you CAN ease it down . Be sure to lean it TOWARDS you , though .
                              Hey if I was a rocket scientist, I could do that. Most of the time I am lucky to find my rear end with both hands! That being said, I just don't have the strength to stop the bike if it fell the other way. Honestly, if I had not successfully ridden it down, I would absolutely try your way and hope the motorcycle gods were smiling upon me.

Comment

• I guess it's something someone would have to SHOW you . Maybe I'll do that sometime ......

Comment

Working...
                                X