X

Close Call

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Close Call

Went on a 150 mile ride today. Even had traffic above timberline and 8 hours to do 150 miles. Longest stop was for a cup of coffee. Three areas of construction on a dirt road were you have to wait for a pilot truck on the last Friday to see the Aspen changing color. Ended up back in the Denver area at 4pm.
    This one section of the highway drops down into a valley so even on the bike you cant see well. Flow of traffic goes from 70mph to nothing all of a sudden as the road goes into the valley. I learned on here about weaving from one side of the lane to the other when traffic is slowing to help the vehicles behind you notice you. Flow stopped so fast I really did not have time to do that. As I am braking pretty hard I was also checking my mirror. The car behind me was a ways back but coming pretty fast. As I was braking, I moved FAR left of my lane right on the white line ready to go up between the cars and noticed in my mirror the car behind me pulling FAR right crossing the solid line to miss me and the car ahead of me. When we all came to a stop he was close but not quite to me.
    I wear a Hi-Viz jacket and a bright yellow helmet. I couldn't be sure but it may have saved my a$$ literally today.
    Also is a good reminder that we need to be in enough control to brake hard AND be checking our mirrors at the same time to determine if we need to offer up the backside of the car in front of us instead of our backside.

I'm glad you got through it!

"A knight proves his worthiness by his deeds."

Comment

Me too! I hate that part of the highway. It is interesting because NOTHING is there, no exits or anything, just the road dipping down into a little valley where you cross over the Platte River. It also happens to be east / west so sun problems in the morning and evening. That same area gets blasted with cross winds also. Had a big metal cover come off some equipment being hauled. The wind caught it and ripped it off, landed in my lane and it had enough momentum from the wind it slid off the right side of the highway. Ive had to dodge tumble weeds there too. Its maybe a one to two mile section but gets crazy.

Comment

What kind if hi-viz jacket do you wear? I’m interested in one that has the reflective material in it, but isn’t that neon yellow/orange

Comment

Originally posted by acg1993 View Post
          What kind if hi-viz jacket do you wear? I’m interested in one that has the reflective material in it, but isn’t that neon yellow/orange

Good Idea! Hi-viz jackets are good options but if a person choose wisely it can provide coupled advantages safety as well as personality booster

Comment

Working...
          X