Push Start Gone Wrong

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Push Start Gone Wrong

Hello there!

First of all, I sadly have no video recording or pictures of the scene I'm about to describe.

I've been push starting my old Yamaha XJ650 for two years now without a problem. Yesterday, after filling up my Katana, my battery died when I tried to start it. First time doing it with the Kat, I decided to do it in second gear. I guess I was a bit stressed because I had to do it in a public place with a bike I don't know very well.

The thing is, it worked just fine as soon as I released the clutch, but the idiot that I am FORGOT THE DISENGAGE THE CLUTCH. Well my (new) friends, the bike fell on its side, somehow it fell on me but I have no bruises and the motorcycle itself had already been dropped by previous owners, so no new scratches. While trying to hold the bike, I turned the gaz to full throttle, so my little incident got seen by a lot of people (that noise haha).

I hate humble pie that night.

First thing I did after this happened was to RELAX a couple of minutes, and after that, I decided to push start my bike right away so that I can prove to myself that I am able. Worked.

Different realisation in no specific order:
    -This bike is heavy as hell with a full gaz tank
    -Stress and motorcycle do not go together
    -People are good, I got help by a client of the service station and made sure I was ok
    -I have to charge my battery (died when I realised the P position left my brake light on)
    -Be ready to disangage the clutch in a split second
    -Visualise what you are about to attempt

SO, in a effort to regain confidence in myself, anybody has a humiliating story to share (please ).
    sigpic
    Ya, that first country is Canada...

at least there weren't any hot girls around!! lol It happens man. I dropped my kat in a gas station when i got it. the back brake was inoperable, all i had was front. Long story short, i had to stop abruptly at like 15 mph, i locked the front brake up, the bars pinned to the left and i hopped off the bike and did my best to nurse all 483 lbs of it down. Kind of embarrassing. Yes, they are heavy. You WILL grunt picking it up off the ground, and i can promise you, it aint the fuel tank. these steel horses are heavy!!

Yes, when you push start, you wanna just blip the clutch. out and right back in. It was probably a rough ride before you toppled! Ive never really had a hard time starting it like that but most times that i have done that, ive already been rolling. its alot easier when you stall out and have momentum than to push the damn thing! lol Dont fret. Shit happens. Just be glad you didnt hurt yourself, learn your lesson and move on.
    My build thread (Black Betty) '97 600 (Dearly Departed)
    http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=133286
    2007 GSXR 750

Comment

I've never dropped mine push starting. however I have dropped mine stationary a half dozen times. tore a left bicep tendon the last time. fixed my kickstand and thankfully haven't dropped it since. [knock on wood]
      Last edited by KAT TOY; 09-11-2014, 05:07 PM.
      never sleep with anyone crazier than yourself sigpic2011,2012,2013,2014,2015,2016

Comment

We've all dropped a bike or two in public at some point in our riding careers. LOL.

Comment

I would never drop a bike..

Help Support Katriders.com via Motorcyclegear.com

Comment

Haha thanks everyone! Like maniac said, there was no hot girls around. But then again, there is rarely any hot girls when I'm around.
            sigpic

Comment

When my battery started going wonky on me I just made sure to have the room to just ride out a push start. Had it in gear, paddled it forward (if I couldn't find even a slight hill) for just a little speed, dropped the clutch and rode away.

Comment

I always bump start by duck walking the bike to a good rolling speed, and for the same reason you dropped it. Rather have to try a few times than mess it up. Usually if you're duck walking it as fast as possible you can bump it in first if you've got alot of experience. (Don't ask me how I do )
                - Purplehaze
                All-Black 1993 Suzuki Katana 600 (Click for pictorial fun!)

Comment

Even if I'm 6'0", I'm having difficulty duck walking the Katana. For sure a hill is always the best option.
                  sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by nfs_riffle View Post
                    Even if I'm 6'0", I'm having difficulty duck walking the Katana. For sure a hill is always the best option.
                    5'5" or thereabouts and no problems
                    - Purplehaze

Comment

tippy toes man, tippy toes!!
                      2007 GSXR 750

Comment

I'll have to get skills. I always look like that
                        sigpic

Comment

I know it sounds silly but make sure that chain tension is right and clean and the tire pressure is topped-up. 3 PSI can make all the difference in push resistance.
                          - Purplehaze

Comment

Originally posted by Purplehaze View Post
                            I know it sounds silly but make sure that chain tension is right and clean and the tire pressure is topped-up. 3 PSI can make all the difference in push resistance.
                            +1
                            2007 GSXR 750

Comment

$hit happens. Get a new battery and use the starter.

p.s. my worst drop happened with my CB350 (I know... it was a long time ago) but I was trying to look cool in front of a cute neighbour and dropped the bike trying to do a wheelie...DOH it didn't impress the girl.
                              2015 KTM 1290 Super Adventure
                              2005 Suzuki 750 Katana, sold
                              1984 Kawasaki gpz 550, sold
                              1982 Suzuki gs400e - sold
                              1973 Honda cb350 - sold

Comment

Working...
                              X