No announcement yet.
X

What's your approach to new roads?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I never ride all out on public roads. 80% max. I tend to enter a corner easy and make a faster exit. slow down to go fast.
    never sleep with anyone crazier than yourself sigpic2011,2012,2013,2014,2015,2016

Comment

take it easy and approach the turns from the outside of the lane as late as possible then dive in once you see a clear exit

Comment

All good advice. If I'm looking to push my limits a little, I love on and off ramps when there's no traffic in front of you. Especially the ones that you can see much of the ramp before you're really into the turn. I always go slower if I'm not familiar with it though. There are a few near me that always have some sand or gravel. Nothing irritates me like getting stuck behind a big rig on an on/off ramp though

I almost learned my lesson to slow down and expect the unexpected the hard way. I was almost at the apex of a 2 lane merging into 1 lane on-ramp and suddenly saw a huge truck parked right in front of me. It had a ramp going down to the ground, such as to drive a commercial lawn mower out of it. I knew I wouldn't be able to stop in time in the middle of a lean like that, so I tried slowing down a little with the rear brake and leaning extra hard. My rear tire skidded a little and actually helped me very narrowly avoid going up the ramp into the truck! It was quite exciting, lots of fun, and super scary all at the same time! Now when the thought of taking a sharp blind turn fast enters my head, I remember that incident and slow down.

Comment

Practice practice and practice. And relax, don't be too nervous

Comment

I have this wonderful twisty mountain road going to my camp I have in upstate NY. I ride this almost daily in the summer, going back and forth to camp. On nice days I'll take a ride up there on the bike, just to sit on my property and look at the lake after a long day at work. What I'm trying to say is, I know this road like the back of my hand. It has beautiful turns and there is very little traffic. Despite all of this, I still never push my self to my limit. Last night I was riding up there and coming around one of the great 30mph corners, when all of a sudden I see my entire lane had a pile of leaves about 2 feet tall scattered across the entire road! I wouldn't of drove my CAR through it, let alone my motorcycle! Had I of been hammering that corner, like the adrenaline junky inside of me wants to, I would of hit a massive pile of leaves at 75mph.

This just re-fortifys my cautious approach to riding. Even a road you know and drive every day, will always have surprises. I've been riding going on 7 years now, and never been down while riding. I've dropped it pulling in my driveway at slow speeds when I first got it and stupid stuff like that, but never been in an accident in over 10,000 miles of enthusiastic riding. You can have fun without pushing the limit, and if you want to stay intact I suggest you do so.
            - Josh

2003 Suzuki Katana 600, Two Brothers Carbon Fiber exhaust, plasti dipped black and green (almost). I live and ride in Upstate NY.

Comment

Tried and patient. There might not be a second chance if you cock it up the first time.
              - Purplehaze
              All-Black 1993 Suzuki Katana 600 (Click for pictorial fun!)

Comment

1 Test run up and down, and then I can have some spirited fun...
                The way no surprises...

Comment

Im fast aproaching 50 and with that has come the acceptance that I have more fun on a bike keeping a steady pace regardless of how well I know the road. Im way past being able to roll down the road on my arse and get up with out looking at weeks of discomfort and not being able to work.
                  sigpic
                  "Teaching boys to bake cakes? That's no way to maintain an industrial empire."

Comment

From experience both on bikes and in cages, I have to +1 the whole "don't go all out your first run." This is going to be the way you get hurt. When I see a road where I know I am going to have fun, I will usually do the following:

- Pick a spot to begin my ride, and pull over.
                    - Get the phone out, and see it on maps. I look for the turn sequence and run through it in my head a few times.
                    - Run down the road at a relaxed pace, but I take the line I want to take in my ride. I look for any obstacles and hazards.
                    - Run back up the road and look at traffic conditions and see the road from the perspective of oncoming motorists.
                    - At the top, pull over and try to remember a few key spots, landmarks. I will run down again, this time at medium approach and find my landmarks and pick braking zones and apexes. I also make sure I heat up the tires but not the brakes on this run.
                    - At the end, turn around and take a relaxed drive while I go over the road in my head one more time. I run this one somewhat hard, but try to lay off the brakes.
                    - Back at the top, I give it a first run. First runs are meant to help me establish how the road conditions, inclination of the road surface, and the environment affect the handling of my ride.

At this point I will usually get out of there unless risking a police interaction is worth the cause. Running the same road over and over will increase the chances of one. I will only really do it if I'm far from home base. Otherwise, I come back to the road later. You don't have to do it all at once, and you're better off learning over time.

Using this method has some roads permanently imprinted in my head, but always be cautious. Road conditions will vary. You are better off reconnoitering your course every time you run. Always remember your hazards and braking points. Never take unnecessary risks.

EDIT: Please always look for traffic too. Once you're at the top, wait for a while. Make sure other vehicles going the speed limit have time to clear your course before beginning. And remember that there will always be surprises. Pedestrians, other vehicles, environmental debris (leaves, branches, water, etc), wildlife, and many other things CAN and WILL move into the road.

EDIT 2: If you want to avoid ALL of these things then go to the track. It is cheap and completely worth every penny. Society has put together specific places where you can take your vehicle to the max, in a place where road conditions are as consistent as possible, the ambulance is seconds away, and there are others who want you to take it to the max. It's called the track. Spirited riding on the road is awesome, but the only place for maximum attack is the track.

-notten
                    Last edited by notten; 10-25-2013, 11:02 PM. Reason: more
                    http://www.envyplayer.com/13.mp4 for sale with lots of parts

Comment

i only go as fast as far as i can see, not going to go fast around a blind corner.
                      1990 katana 1100

Comment

Working...
                      X