testing abilities

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• testing abilities

ive never posted in this section, but this has been on my mind for a while:

how do you go about taking it to that next level of aggressiveness in leaning?

i suppose it comes to a point where you just have to do it

ive watched videos and read 2 books on technique, body positioning, safety etc. I understand the physical mechanics, and ive had some of my previous bike over pretty far (for me).

but to go any lower seems like such a huge risk, since you only get 1 chance.

so my question really is: "what did you do to go a little further, a little further until you had the confidence and skill to do it regularly?"
    previous rides
    06 kat 600, 04 Triumph ST Streetfighter, 07 Vstar 1100, 03 GSXR 750, 03 Hayabusa, 07 SV 1000 , 02 Bandit 1200s, Current ride - 07 Roadliner 1900,
    next ride - another kat

For me, no matter what it is, (dirtbikes, atv's, road bikes, cars) taking it to the next level just took curiosity, practice an last but not least big enough balls at the moment. I have 3 small kids so honestly when I ride my Kat its always in the back of my mind but its in my DNA to crave adrenaline and a rush. So basically with hours of seat time on 1 machine you should know how it will react in every situation you can an that mixed with balls (or stupidity to some). I firmly believe practice makes perfect..or as close as one can achieve.

When im testing my skills or pushing limits ill only do it on a very familiar strip of road. I basically have a few select riding spots where ill do it.

In the end you just need to know your limits, I never try an keep up if I cant or show off or even push my limits with people around. With a buddy or two yea, but not like the idiots who just show off for crowds lol. Thats my 2 cents..
    94 GSX600F, V&H 4-1 Supersport exhaust

My daily driver build thread- http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=129561

Comment

Coming from a guy who's only ridden for one season, my experience has been just getting more and more comfortable/confident in my abilities. Judging the turn, the surface, the tires, how I feel (mentally and physically)...all go into it. Having said that, I'm obviously still a total novice and I don't hit any Moto GP leans, but I have gotten much better. And I feel myself going faster...easier. Though, I personally don't make a habit of tearing up back roads.
      Extra life.

Comment

Find a local track day that offers one on one training. That will be the fastest and surest way for you to learn to ride better and faster in a safe way.

That said... you just don't have the local natural resources available to you to do much else on the road. If you can find a large parking lot with little paint to practice in... it would not be a bad thing to pick up some small cones at wally world and create a small course for you to practice on.

Krey
        93 750 Kat

Modified Swingarm, 5.5 GSXR Rear with 180/55 and 520 Chain, 750 to 600 Tail conversion, more to come. Long Term Project build thread http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=96736

"I've done this a thousand times before. What could possibly go wron.... Ooops!"

Comment

Do you even have to lean the bike in Florida?

I learn the most when I ride with people who are better riders than me.
          90% of motorcycle forum members do not have a service manual for their bike.

Originally posted by Badfaerie
          I love how the most ignorant people I have met are the ones that fling the word "ignorant" around like it's an insult, or poo. Maybe they think it means poo
          Originally posted by soulless kaos
          but personaly I dont see a point in a 1000 you can get the same power from a properly tuned 600 with less weight and better handeling.

Comment

Originally posted by Kreylyn View Post
            Find a local track day that offers one on one training. That will be the fastest and surest way for you to learn to ride better and faster in a safe way.

That said... you just don't have the local natural resources available to you to do much else on the road. If you can find a large parking lot with little paint to practice in... it would not be a bad thing to pick up some small cones at wally world and create a small course for you to practice on.

Krey
            I couldn't have said it better.

Really once you get to the point of taking a paved turn marked 20 at 40 , a 20 at 50 is the same just louder and lower. The problem you will eventually run into is obstacles in or on the road. Water, sand, rocks, dogs, dear, fallen trees, car parts, broken furniture from a truck bed ect ect...

Honestly the biggest hurdle your going to find after you master the slow speed (parking lot) stuff is how to handle hard to handle situations such as: real wheel traction loss in a corner. The skill set that you need to deal with that is obtained from dirt biking and flat tracking.
            Please, Just go home, relax, and have a think or two... hell... have as many as you can handle! It'll do all of us some good.
            Tony
            94 Katana 600

Comment

I just posted a thread not to long ago similar to this. doing twisties. and I got good advice but a good one was relax and trust the bike. granted it may or may not happen that youll loose traction but then if possible just get back up and keep riding.

Comment

Originally posted by il_ragazzo View Post
                how to handle hard to handle situations such as: real wheel traction loss in a corner. The skill set that you need to deal with that is obtained from dirt biking and flat tracking.
                +1
                94 GSX600F, V&H 4-1 Supersport exhaust

My daily driver build thread- http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=129561

Comment

Good information as always KR!
                  I've only been riding a season, so experience is still increasing, but I can now comfortably take local twisties at 80mph(at least by my speedo). With that being said, I just did that yesterday after taking those roads I can't count how many times since last spring. Was totally nervous last spring going 45mph, and nervous yesterday going 80mph. Techniques and tips learned in my riding course and on these boards, looking throughout the turn, leaning and pressing the handgrips, entering the turn at a comfortable speed suited for YOU etc, have all helped. Like some have mentioned, now I'll have to learn how to handle cornering when crisis arise like sand, or debris in the road to gain more experience. Entering the sweeping turns yesterday, and leaning the Kat, I didn't come close to knee dragging at 80mph and felt very comfortable just leaning and looking through the turn preparing for the next entry. I know I've still got a long way to go, but think I'll leave the knee dragging MotoGP style riding for a possible track day learning course. I guess in my limited riding experience, I would just advise new riders to ride comfortably, find a set of roads and ride them everyday to build your confidence.
                  "So whether you eat or drink or whatever you do, do it all for the glory of God."
                  1 Corinthians 10:31
                  sigpic

Comment

I think I need to rephrase the above mentioned story here. Recently, I found a "true" set of twisties and not just wide turns leading into other wide turns that can allow you a novice like me to go 80mph. A new road, Dry Run Road off of SR 50 for the SE OH viewers, that I found I can only manage to go 40mph on but its more of the constant back and forth tight turns but MAN is it fun! I want to practice this road a ton so that I can constantly improve on my speed like the sweeping turns I've taken over the last year.
                    "So whether you eat or drink or whatever you do, do it all for the glory of God."
                    1 Corinthians 10:31
                    sigpic

Comment

to learn faster, safer, nothing like trackdays/trackday instruction.

Not to say that in normal street riding you can't practice specific skills, i.e., "today I will practice rolling on the gas smoothly and consistently" or "today I will practice blipping the clutch while down shifting". I think there is benefit from riding at a comfortable pace while practicing specific skills.

and cross training. If you can manage to get on a dirt bike, supermoto, that riding experience also does help.

Comment

the only thing that helped me was to put more miles on the bike regularly. doing twisties daily and attending trackdays and msf courses.
                        2015 BMW S1000R

Comment

Riding all year round tends to help too I think

Comment

Originally posted by Jcates888 View Post
                            Riding all year round tends to help too I think
                            Ehhh...I'd argue that a bit. I ride year round but 95%+ is freeway commuting miles. Lots of them. I can lane split like a mother, but after 4 years of riding I'm still not really great when it comes to the twisties. I need more free time to work on that...
                            1998 Katana 750
                            1992 Katana 1100
                            2006 Ninja 250

2006 Katana 600 RIP - 130k miles

Comment

Originally posted by shpielers View Post
                              Ehhh...I'd argue that a bit. I ride year round but 95%+ is freeway commuting miles. Lots of them. I can lane split like a mother, but after 4 years of riding I'm still not really great when it comes to the twisties. I need more free time to work on that...

Where you ride does make a huge diff.

Most sport bike riders in this area are pretty aggressive on the curves. But then,... it's really hard to find places to ride that don't have them here.

Krey
                              93 750 Kat

Modified Swingarm, 5.5 GSXR Rear with 180/55 and 520 Chain, 750 to 600 Tail conversion, more to come. Long Term Project build thread http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=96736

"I've done this a thousand times before. What could possibly go wron.... Ooops!"

Comment

Working...
                              X