Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

How hard is it to pass the MSF?? My first attempt at riding failed miserably!!

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How hard is it to pass the MSF?? My first attempt at riding failed miserably!!

Alright guys so as some of y'all know I recently bought my first motorcycle ever (dream come true, I mean like best dream ever come true). The down side, I have a permit but I haven't practiced or anything because I am not allowed to drive on my own with a permit. Plus that baby looks beautiful and there is no way I am dropping it.

I am taking the MSF on the 29th and hoping to get a license. But how hard is it?? I am now worried. I tried to get the motorcycle going just today with my dad's guidance within the parking lot of course but I stalled repeatedly and everytime I got going I panicked and locked the front tire. I swear I thought I'd do way better. The upside is I didn't drop my bike, not even close.

My dad doesn't have a license btw if you guys were gonna suggest that. He just drove motorcycles in India for like 20 or more years so he knows how to drive one.

So, do you guys think I'll fail the MSF and won't get my license?? Because I'm starting to think so.

I used to be nasty with bicycles, I used to do wheelies, 5 foot jumps, etc. I also got stitches from some idiocy when I was like 14. I mean I could still do half the stuff on a bicycle and I seriously thought I'd do better with this motorcycle. Damn, I suck..

Oh another concern. What are the chances I'll ruin my clutch from my inability to shift into first properly or improper use of it?? I really would hate to do that.

Relax. Just take the course, and I'm pretty sure they'd provide you with a bike to practise on.
    sigpicLife throws you curves......enjoy the ones you get when riding.
    ------------------------------------------
    89 GSX750F(sold....sob)
    96 YZF 1000R

Comment

As Slofuze said "relaxing" is the key, I took the MSF course up here so it may be different. But they taught us everything at a easy pace, and the drills they made us do were actually harder than the test portion.
      Kyle

Comment

grim, the course is easy. I took the course, you will start with the basics of just sitting on the bike and walking it across the course (duck walking), then they will let you start bike and learn how to slip the clutch to start rolling forward. They will teach you the right ways, they should take thier time but also push you, after all 3 days really isn't enough time to get everything but that is why it is called the basic course. But as slofuze says relax, listen, and just be prepared, it is actually pretty fun.

good luck

dan

Comment

Sounds to me like you need to let the clutch out slower, dont freak yourself out. Everyone has to learn at some point and im currently learning too. Take a saftey course and they will teach you a ton. You can also watch youtube videos to give you a better idea. Have you driven a standard car before?

Comment

sounds like me when my dad first taught me to ride. as soon a i felt the clutch engage i dumped it.. you have to easy it out while rolling the throttle a bit.. but they should teach that in the msf course anyways. they start from scratch weather you are a complete beginner or very experienced. the course i took passed almost everyone, and those that didn't just had to come back and retake the test portion. and yes relaxing is a big part in it.. just take a few deap breaths

Good luck
            Last edited by boomer_95; 03-24-2013, 05:13 PM.
            if all else fails......... Get a hammer

parting out my 89 Kat 750

Comment

I guess I just have to make sure not to work myself up over this MSF thing. I suck with all test taking in general. I even failed my first road test for a car when I was sixteen. Believe it or not, when I took that road test, I had been driving on my own in NYC traffic for almost a year at that point. My parents let me drive on my own at 16 although technically not allowed.

I was doing pretty decently with getting out of first gear, I was just stalling whenever I panicked in second and came to a halt with the front brake and then the motorcycle stalled. I didn't downshift or clutch when braking but it was a tight parking lot, too worried about not driving into the wall in front of me.

I technically have driven a stick shift car and a motorcycle but that was when I was 13 in India. I was there for 10 days and my cousin taught me to drive and I got it pretty well although I still remember initially sucking on the first day getting on first gear, both the stick car and the motorcycle. But in like 3 days, I was doing just fine. It was a 150 cc yamaha, fun little thing, amazing when you're 13. And I drove on the streets too with traffic in India with my cousin sitting on the back because he'd let me. I did just fine then. Plus this was Indian traffic where red lights are a suggestion to stop. Often ignored suggestion.

I think I just got dumber with age.

Comment

relax - we've all been there. By the time the course is done you'll wonder why you were worried about it.

Comment

you cant drive by yourself with a permit? weird. i live in Ca and here you can ride by yourself, you just cant go on the freeway. ive had my permit for almost a year now because im to lazy to take the test.

Comment

Keep yourself calm and take the course, as has been said they start you off slow, at a walking pace, practicing releasing the clutch, then pulling it back in... I was incredibly nervous on my first days practice, I'd never really rode on two wheels long enough to say I learned anything other than a bicycle. Then the real surprise came after about 40 minutes, not one but both instructors stopped me at different times to ask if I had ridden before, and acted completely surprised when I said "no" By the end of the last day, the instructors were encouraging me to become an instructor myself once I have a few years under my belt.

The days leading up to the course can be a bit nerve racking but try and relax, and be prepared to absorb all the information being instructed to you, and you should do just fine
                    92' 600- Bought 4th of July 2012

"Out for my own, Out to be free... One with my mind, they just can't see... No need to hear things that they say... Life's for my own to live my own way!!" Metallica- Escape

Comment

Like everyone else has said, relax. The rider coaches are going to get you through it and you'll do fine. As I remember it (from 24 years ago) they actually had us start by practicing the hand and foot movements needed to start, shift and stop while sitting on a chair. From there we went to the bikes and started practicing with the clutch, not even giving the bikes any gas. Baby steps, in other words.

By the time we got to the "skills demonstration" (they didn't even call it a test) we were just having fun and showing off what we'd learned that weekend. I think we had one student fail but they retested after an hour or so of focused work on their shortcomings and passed then. In 24 years in the AF, where all riders are required to take the course before being allowed to ride (on or off base) I've only heard of a couple guys outright failing and having to retake the course.

The rider-coaches are there to get you safe and comfortable, not to fail you. They take pride in teaching you the skills you need to be a good rider and aren't going to let you down. Trust them and go with the program. You'll do fine.
                      Wherever you go... There you are!

17 Inch Wheel Conversion
                      HID Projector Retrofit

Comment

Ive driven 2 stroke dirtbikes most of my life. when i was learning I would give myself a slight roll to get off the line while letting out the clutch. just a tip, Idk if its the same for these katanas/I havent gotten mine running yet! .. I am taking a motorcycle safety program with my dad in april, should be fun.
                        1993 KATANA 600- I was born in 1993!
                        1980 yamaha xs400 Bobber- Project
                        1988 yamaha YZ250
                        1986 kawasaki KX80
                        1971 Suzuki TS185- Project

Comment

I had zero hours of riding when I took the MSF. The course is structured to take it "one thing at a time" and very good at getting people riding.

There's no point in having anxiety about it.

Comment

Took the course last year, loved it, became an instructor.

The bikes you will learn on, will be much more forgiving than your Katana. You'll be more upright, the bike weighs 200lbs less and they're already old and beat up.

After the classroom session, and when the students are ready to get on the bike the first thing i've noticed instructors doing up here is dropping the bike. They just let it go, then they pick it up. It's almost like a tension breaker. Hopefully they do the same.

There will ALWAYS be someone there worse than you. Every session I've attended there's been two "girlfriends" in their 50's - 60's who want to scratch it off their bucket list, they don't own a bike so they don't have the passion to actually succeed. They normally do terrible and fail out and some even leave before the 2nd day.

You'll do great. As long as the willingness to learn and succeed is there.
                            -Brandon

Comment

It is only going to be as hard as you make it. Here the instructers were very serious about the course(which they should be) but they also made it a fun learning experience. As stated by many, relax and stay loose on the bike.
                              2002 750 Kat
                              2013 Polaris 850 XP LE(wrecked)
                              2002 Ski-Doo MXZ 800
                              2002 Ski-Doo MXZ 800 X-package
                              1999 Ski-Doo MXZ 670 H.O.
                              2009 Kawasaki KX250F(SOLD)

Comment

Working...
                              X