X

New rider..help with wind issue

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New rider..help with wind issue

I ride with a bunch of experience riders but I am a beginner and I tell them that I feel like the wind is pushing me to one side and yes I am talking about when it is a little windy outside not from me driving on the bike. Today the wind was at about 15-20 mph and the wind was pushing me right and I was leaning left but it was uncomfortable and I felt like I couldn't gain speed due to the fear of blowing to the wall. Anyways question is...is this a normal feeling or how do I control the way the wind pushes me without pushing into another lane? It's a weird feeling and that's the best I can describe it.

It's very normal to feel like you're being pushed to the side if you have a strong cross-wind. That feeling is exaggerated if you are not relaxed and have the grip of death on the bars...which is typically how beginners ride under unfamiliar circumstances.

The best way to deal with this is to relax and let the bike lean over into the wind to compensate for the slight push. You just need practice riding in windy conditions and you will get used to it. Also, when you feel the cross wind, there is a tendency for the newer rider to let off the gas a little. This will contribute to the feeling of being pushed over and not being able to accelerate. You may even have to give it a little more throttle to maintain your speed if you've got a strong head wind.
    sigpic Mulholland Hwy Ride
    1992 Katana GSX600F (on permanent loan to a family member)
    2000 Suzuki Hayabusa
    First Hayabusa Commercial Hayabusa Design
    Hayabusa #1 Wonder of Motorcycles

Comment

Originally posted by KatanaGSX92 View Post
      It's very normal to feel like you're being pushed to the side if you have a strong cross-wind. That feeling is exaggerated if you are not relaxed and have the grip of death on the bars...which is typically how beginners ride under unfamiliar circumstances.

The best way to deal with this is to relax and let the bike lean over into the wind to compensate for the slight push. You just need practice riding in windy conditions and you will get used to it. Also, when you feel the cross wind, there is a tendency for the newer rider to let off the gas a little. This will contribute to the feeling of being pushed over and not being able to accelerate. You may even have to give it a little more throttle to maintain your speed if you've got a strong head wind.
      +1

Slide back in your seat a bit and tuck down further behind your screen. Relax your grip and hug the tank with your knees.
      sigpicLife throws you curves......enjoy the ones you get when riding.
      ------------------------------------------
      89 GSX750F(sold....sob)
      96 YZF 1000R

Comment

Hey Morgan and welcome to KR. Wind is probably a big factor for all new riders, although not many talk about it. I have only been riding for about a year and a half but have 12k miles under my belt already. My first day wasn't windy at all so I didn't experience the side wind when I was around an experienced rider. During my first week though I had wind going about 5 -10 mph and when I got to about 50 mph on the bike I started gripping really tight and started feeling anxious. It got even worse when I changed directions and the wind was pushing from the side.

As stated above just slightly lean on the handle bar and let the wind hold you in a straight line. I ride my bike everywhere now and at the moment it is my only transportation so I have been in all elements. I have been in rain storms where I felt like I was leaning about 25 to 30 degrees just to hold a straight line and when I stopped at a red light I could barely stay standing because the wind was pushing me over.

The best advice is just to keep riding, but doing it safely of course. I would suggest lighter wind days until you you get more comfortable on the bike. You could lean closer to the bike I suppose, but at lower speeds that may be awkward feeling for you. Stay safe and welcome to riding!
        All the world's a stage,
        And all the men and women merely players;
        They have their exits and their entrances,
        And one man in his time plays many parts,
        His acts being seven ages.

Comment

Practice safely

Comment

Morgan I have a question. You say that you ride with experienced riders and you mention the same to them. So what are your riding mates telling you? Hopefully experienced riders are telling you about the same as what others here have and would say.
            All the world's a stage,
            And all the men and women merely players;
            They have their exits and their entrances,
            And one man in his time plays many parts,
            His acts being seven ages.

Comment

I'm guessing your buddies told you that you get used to it if you're not a wuss? Not a real nice way to put it but it's basically true. Riding in north Texas, you're going to have to get used to the cross-winds. What I remember from living in Wichita Falls for a while, it seems like you've got a cross-wind no matter which way you're going. Relax your shoulders and your grip on the bars, grip the tank with your knees and lean forward a bit to lower your profile. Most of all though, relax.
              Wherever you go... There you are!

17 Inch Wheel Conversion
              HID Projector Retrofit

Comment

Thank you for all the helpful tips. I ride with a few guys and some do not understand what I mean and yes some say you just have to get used to the feeling. I have to be told how to do something in details like some post above and my guy riders are not too detailed or can't explain how they do what they do. Thank you for the help, I will definitely have more windy days to come in Texas for sure.

Comment

It pays to watch what's coming up beside the road when there's a stong crosswind - trees, buildings, or a sound barrier wall beside a highway can have a drastic effect on the crosswind. That has caused a few unintentional lane changes; the problem is worse with lighter bikes.

Comment

Try a GS450. That's what I had when I was in Wichita Falls. I felt every little breeze there was. I rode that thing from Denver to Houston in two days and then back up to Wichita Falls in one shot. Lots of cross winds batting me everywhere. Every time I passed a semi it was a battle to stay on the road. There were several times I thought I was going airborne. Of course, I was 20 at the time so it was all good.
                    Wherever you go... There you are!

17 Inch Wheel Conversion
                    HID Projector Retrofit

Comment

+1 relax,grip with your knees and lean forward will help with crosswinds as well as giving you confidence coming up behind trucks and other motorised house bricks that mash the air you're entering! Might be a good idea to pay for a local m'cycle course to help with your posture and general riding.
                      I don't know what I want but I know how to get it.

Comment

Originally posted by Brocher View Post
                        Might be a good idea to pay for a local m'cycle course to help with your posture and general riding.
                        +1 I did mine in September and don't regret it one bit, I even had to a pay $180 for it here in Oregon and still can't complain. Very educational and your confidence takes a nice leap as well which is comforting when you ride
                        92' 600- Bought 4th of July 2012

"Out for my own, Out to be free... One with my mind, they just can't see... No need to hear things that they say... Life's for my own to live my own way!!" Metallica- Escape

Comment

just stay loose and you will get use to me.

Comment

Originally posted by DocCannabis View Post
                            +1 I did mine in September and don't regret it one bit, I even had to a pay $180 for it here in Oregon and still can't complain. Very educational and your confidence takes a nice leap as well which is comforting when you ride
                            +1 I loved the course training, small area teaches you to maneuver and swerve and everything in tight areas and training tips and physical practice of trying to go slow as possible without feet going to the ground and other stuff leading to More control of the bikes and knowing their limitations better.

I don't know your area courses but others in your area might know about an expo that has a discount, or I took mine through the military and was paid for me, and in the end it saves you money on your insurance!

Comment

Originally posted by PhoenixZip View Post
                              +1 I loved the course training, small area teaches you to maneuver and swerve and everything in tight areas and training tips and physical practice of trying to go slow as possible without feet going to the ground and other stuff leading to More control of the bikes and knowing their limitations better.

I don't know your area courses but others in your area might know about an expo that has a discount, or I took mine through the military and was paid for me, and in the end it saves you money on your insurance!
                              I think the reason Team Oregon (Name of the rider safety program) is charging an outrageous rate compared to most states is it IS mandatory to get your endorsement under certain ages in Oregon.... This year being any new rider under 50. Next year is 60 and 2015 will be All new riders. Also, they are based out of the opposite side of the state from me, but they travel all around the state all spring/summer/fall so it becomes local. Honestly, I didn't mind the $180 once I walked out with the rights to get my endorsement with no further tests, and tons of knowledge and practice on a itty bitty Kawasaki Eliminator (Like 200cc or so I think) to then go home and feel a lot more confident throwing my leg over a 600cc beastly Katana
                              92' 600- Bought 4th of July 2012

"Out for my own, Out to be free... One with my mind, they just can't see... No need to hear things that they say... Life's for my own to live my own way!!" Metallica- Escape

Comment

Working...
                              X