X

Make sure you are seen

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by jarvis View Post
    Be careful of some of the safety videos, we had someone (ex copper) showing videos on the Motorcycle News forum showing people how to ride following the ROSPA 'system'. and for experienced riders it obviously works, but, and heres the catch, it could put inexperienced riders in danger. The video posted on here re a near miss is a prime example, he suggested the rider should ALWAYS position themselves on the outside of a turn, not tipping in until they could clearly see the exit, on a blind bend this could leave them vulnerable to drivers cutting the corner (hence the reference to the video) or themselves running wide and into the path of oncoming vehicles.
    Any tips on defensive riding are worth listening to but take the parts out of them that you think work for you!
    Yeah that's true. Whatever you do for safety should always be in accordance with your experience, traffic regulations and ofcourse common sense. But the weaving does help and in more ways than one.
    Open your mind, freedom's a state.

sigpic

When in doubt, lean more.

Comment

Originally posted by ErrEs View Post
      I saw that video too once. It demonstrated several situations and the conclusion was that a weaving bike is far more visible than bright colors, high beams and what not.
      The problem with bikes is that they have a relative small visible surface and when they come head on it takes a long time (until they are really close to the spectator) for the visible surface to expand significantly. This makes the bike blend in with it's surroundings and the background like camouflage does for a soldier.
      Also humans are used to making patterns from the most significant objects aruond us. This helps us process input and evaluate a situation much faster than actually looking at every object in the situation.
      A weaving motion breaks up this pattern and makes us more visible. Strangely enough, reflecting clothes and bright colors didn't help much to break this pattern, so when in doubt, weaving is the way to go.

I'm trying to find the video again to post here.

Found it:

Smidsy.
      that's the video i was talking about.it has worked for me in the past
      Last edited by OleDirtyDoc; 12-23-2012, 11:28 AM.
      1988 katana 600 that wants to grow up to be a streetfighter

Comment

I still think its bloody dangerous, OK so it could get you noticed as the guy said in the video, but he never mentioned the down side of weaving if the car pulls out regardless.

We all know what happens when you put the front brakes on while leaning over, the bike stands up and becomes very difficult to steer. So if you happen to be weaving in the wrong direction as you get close and he pulls out, you slam on the anchors and drive straight into his path (centre of the road) as that's where you were aimed at the time.

OK so you could let your brakes off an correct your course but that puts you even closer to him before you have the chance to reapply the brake.

This system is wrong, it may be fine if everytime you did it you were seen, but it doesnt take into account the times your not, or explain how to then get out of a very dangerous situation.

The way I see it is this.

You approach a junction with caution, position yourself to been seen, travelling in a straight line. The driver makes a bad decision which you have already anticipated, you have two choices, emergency stop or manoeuvre.
        Emergency stop will only work if you have space in which to stop, you have to judge this, its your machine and you should have practised this for such situations.
        If there's very little room to stop then a change of direction may save your skin (even if its only to aim for a lower part of the vehicle) counter steering gives us very rapid changes of direction, think how quickly you can turn the bike going into a corner, then apply that to avoiding the vehicle in your path. If the car was pulling out slowly you may wish to pass in front or vice versa. At least your actions were determined by your own judgement not by which way you happened to be pointing at the moment the car pulled out!

I'm not playing devils advocate, I have spent hours and hours discussing defensive riding with a motorcycling instructor, he could never fault my methods, even using some in his lectures.

You can choose to follow this video but I think its flawed and dangerous.
        When I want your opinion I'll tell you it!!!!!

Comment

Maybe instead of focusing on trying to be seen (impossible) you should focus on riding

Just a thought. Weaving in your lane is retarded.
          90% of motorcycle forum members do not have a service manual for their bike.

Originally posted by Badfaerie
          I love how the most ignorant people I have met are the ones that fling the word "ignorant" around like it's an insult, or poo. Maybe they think it means poo
          Originally posted by soulless kaos
          but personaly I dont see a point in a 1000 you can get the same power from a properly tuned 600 with less weight and better handeling.

Comment

Yellow bike ,white helmet.....still didn't see me...so now i ride what i wan't colour wise as eveyone knows now...they don't see you
            I'm outa here

Comment

Working...
            X