X

Clutch and rear brake at low speed

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Clutch and rear brake at low speed

Practicing low speed (under 15 mph) control in a straight line and cornering, I use either or both the clutch and rear brake depending on the situation to control my bike when I'm practicing on my own.

But, at the MSF basic 1 course, the instructor said to not use the rear brake at all. I found, personally, that I had less control with very low speed control using just the clutch.

So, what have you all found to be the most effective/safe/practical way to control your bikes at low speed? If it is just friction zone, I will practice working on just that in the future.
    Extra life.

I use the rear brake if its very low speeds. You have to keep some preload on the suspension. As with most things on a bike, it just depends on the situation. Personally, I dont have a problem with putting my foot down and doing a couple short stops instead of slipping the clutch like crazy. The MSF instructors in my class acted like it was the most "uncool" thing to put your foot down but I honestly couldnt care. I like riding to my comfort level and abilities... not for trying to look cool. Haha.

Comment

Never thought about it....but basically throttle and clutch control. I seldom use my rear brakes except once in awile to make sure the pistons don't seize......and that's when coming to a stop.
      sigpicLife throws you curves......enjoy the ones you get when riding.
      ------------------------------------------
      89 GSX750F(sold....sob)
      96 YZF 1000R

Comment

I hear you. They were all over me because I used 3 fingers on the front brake instead of all four. I guess, I get the fact that it's safety class and so on. So, I don't ever make a big deal when they say certain things that I don't necessarily think is the best for me, personally.

However, I do try not to put my foot down ever unless I come to a complete stop lol. I try to be cool when it comes to putting my foot down lol.
        Extra life.

Comment

Originally posted by green_bread View Post
          I use the rear brake if its very low speeds. You have to keep some preload on the suspension. As with most things on a bike, it just depends on the situation. Personally, I dont have a problem with putting my foot down and doing a couple short stops instead of slipping the clutch like crazy. The MSF instructors in my class acted like it was the most "uncool" thing to put your foot down but I honestly couldnt care. I like riding to my comfort level and abilities... not for trying to look cool. Haha.
          +1
          !!Never Doubt an Engineer!!
          BMW 335 XI S.O.- Suzuki Katana 600
          ! life is good !

Comment

You can use whatever method you are comfortable with when riding in the real world after you get your licence and a bike. For the course, however, the purpose of using only the throttle and clutch without the rear brake is to teach clutch and throttle control to new riders, and allow them to practice it without the aid of the rear brake.
            My current rides: (see my garage for a complete history of my bikes)

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Dexter View Post
              the purpose of using only the throttle and clutch without the rear brake is to teach clutch and throttle control to new riders,
              Thanks. Yeah, the instructor said the same thing. And it is something I need to work on.
              Extra life.

Comment

I use my rear brake all the time pulling up to lights as a way to coast slowly but not come to a stop while I have my hands relaxed or fidgeting with the gears.

I look at it this way in the real world. Brake pads are cheaper then a clutch...
                I am a Penn State fanatic.
                Why is the sky blue and white? God is a PSU fan...

Comment

True enough. I just find swapping out the front pads easier than the rear.
                  sigpicLife throws you curves......enjoy the ones you get when riding.
                  ------------------------------------------
                  89 GSX750F(sold....sob)
                  96 YZF 1000R

Comment

i use the rear brakes when coming up to stop lights . more front less rear though. never had a problem with it . but most of my experience is on dirt
                    im an american proud and free , a son of the south dont tread on me.

Comment

Whenever I'm at a slow speed crawl (5 MPH or under), I drag the rear brake quite a bit for stability. They actually taught that at the motorcycle safety course I took. Anything over that speed and I rely on my front brakes. I still use both for stopping but the rear doesn't do much and you need to be careful not to lock it up.

Comment

Working...
                      X