Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

A question about suspension as I prepare to get my license and ride.

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A question about suspension as I prepare to get my license and ride.

The rest of my parts should come in this week, which will hopefully put me on the road next week.

I've been reading a lot of stuff here and soaking in what I can. I know that no amount of reading is complete preparation. I've ridden a friend's bike several times, but it was on no-traffic backroads. I consider it completely insignificant, because I doubt I've gotten 10 miles of riding under my belt.

The only question I have after all of this, as it's something I'm concerned with being quite a hefty guy (5'11", 215 lbs), has to do with suspension settings. The PO (my late brother) was also hefty at 6'3" and 225+. I haven't touched the suspension at all other than to see where the front forks were set, which was all the way stiff, and then moved them back. For the rear, I'm not sure of the reference point to the numbers on the adjuster and the manual isn't clear on this. There is a slot-shaped piece that sticks up from the metal on the left side of the bike underneath the adjuster. If I recall correctly, this piece had the 6 or 7 aligned with it.

After reading a few posts about suspensions bottoming out and whatnot, I became concerned. As someone that doesn't know how a bike should feel, what obvious symptoms of suspension issues should I be feeling for?

The kat is definitely sprung for a far lighter person, and depending on the year of your bike it can be anywhere from 6-24 years old.
    That recent fork bottoming out thread shouldn't concern you unless you have improperly lowered your bike.
    You should definitely get in contact with Tmod about upgrading your front springs and talk about rear shock possibilities.
    And definitely look into the MSF course.
    1992- project katfighter
    2005- GSXR750
    2001- TL1000R
    http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=111130
    www.lunchtimecigar.com

KATRIDERS RALLY 2014 - cintidude04
    KATRIDERS RALLY 2015 - cintidude04
    KATRIDERS RALLY 2016 - cintidude04

Comment

It's a 2000 600 with 8,6xx miles.

Comment

Generally speaking, the OEM springs will be too soft for a really good performance, but are not "unsafe" in general.

"Sag" is what you want to check for your weight. Simple check....

Have someone hold the bike. Measure from ground to a specific point, like the bottom of the tail section at the rear.

Sit on the bike.

Measure again.

The difference = sag. Do the same measurements on the front. Generally speaking you want about 31-35mm sag. If it's more/less then you adjust the preload on the springs.

If you want to do some serious improvements, better springs, better damping, and so on is needed and that requires a bit of work or even swapping parts out. Tmod can help with that and it does make a huge difference.

But jsut starting out with the proper sag can make a big difference.

Krey
        93 750 Kat

Modified Swingarm, 5.5 GSXR Rear with 180/55 and 520 Chain, 750 to 600 Tail conversion, more to come. Long Term Project build thread http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=96736

"I've done this a thousand times before. What could possibly go wron.... Ooops!"

Comment

I'll get my wife to help me with that this weekend. Crossing my fingers that everything will measure within recommendations. I'm ready to ride

Comment

It's not an issue that would prevent you from riding... just make the ride better and more enjoyable/user friendly.

Krey
            93 750 Kat

Modified Swingarm, 5.5 GSXR Rear with 180/55 and 520 Chain, 750 to 600 Tail conversion, more to come. Long Term Project build thread http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=96736

"I've done this a thousand times before. What could possibly go wron.... Ooops!"

Comment

i was thinking about a spring change out myself. havent bottomed out on the front yet but it is ............. buttery............
              im an american proud and free , a son of the south dont tread on me.

Comment

I've ridden around the area a few times, and it feels really solid. Doesn't feel squishy at all, so hopefully it'll be fine for highway speeds.

Comment

Working...
                X